X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dhasegaw
    Guest replied
    Re: The Real Wake Island: 'The Alamo of the Pacific'

The prop plane is a C-130, though it is sort of taken at a deceiving angle.

Leave a comment:

• The_Gunny
    Guest replied

I spent a 5 days there. its only a pit stop for military. it is a very kicked back life style for the few that run the airfield. Oh and the bar. The wake map is close but not right. But Heay its just a game. One thing that the game needs is all the freakin sharks. It would be cool when people try to swim in from the carrier and get ate by a shark. Thats what would most likely happen in real life. As for history the island has alot. Still today peices of the war can be found without even trying to look. However nothing can be taken from the island unless you hide it good. Oh and the bridge on the right side is awsome for jumping off of after a day of drinking.

Leave a comment:

• imported_G.I.Jersey
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Zefram
    hahah I thought it was GI Jersey!
    Oh, Wise Guy! *Said in Three Stooges Curly voice*

Actually if you look at that photo, it looks like the location of the masscre and mass buriel is at about the same spot as the PLA arty sticks on our BF2 Wake. So next time your taking out the arty on Wake, remember the 98 Americans, and also that was the last spot they stood alive on planet Earth.

Leave a comment:

• Zefram
    Guest replied

Originally posted by G.I.Jersey
    hahah I thought it was GI Jersey!

Leave a comment:

• imported_G.I.Jersey
    Guest replied

Thanks alot for the nice comments Fella's. That History Channel documentary on Wake Island really had an impact on me when I learned what these poor guys went though being forced to work as slave laborers and then being brutally cut down with a machine gun while blindfold by their cowardly Japanese captors. I wanted to share it with you guys.

Originally posted by deadman2312
    Ok, what i REALLY REALLY wanna know is......

WHO IS THE ******* STANDING THERE SMILING AT THE LOCATION WHERE 98 CAPTURED AMERICAN CONTRACT WORKERS WERE EXECUTED?

That smile...i just wanna slap the hell out of him....
    deadman, That comment made me laugh out load! :laugh: I really thought the same thing when I found the photo. I said to myself, why is this smacktard smiling? He should have a solum and reverent look on his face knowing he is standing over the remains of 98 american heroes. It would be like taking a picture of someone with a stupid grin on their face with the WTC Ground Zero in the backgound!

Leave a comment:

• JonnyMacFred102
    replied

I don't know if many people live there considering it's extremely remote location. It must be a really simple life if they do, with no real technology. No social life either.

It looks like it's used for government and mail purposes.

Leave a comment:

• NOSKills
    Guest replied

Great post, thanks for the info. And no, I was not aware about the true story behind Wake Island.

Leave a comment:

• Nanten
    Guest replied

Originally posted by deadman2312
    WHO IS THE ******* STANDING THERE SMILING AT THE LOCATION WHERE 98 CAPTURED AMERICAN CONTRACT WORKERS WERE EXECUTED?
    I'd smile too twisted humour, i know. but i find it funny.

Leave a comment:

• zipp0r
    Guest replied

with it having such a big airport/runway, what else is there on that island?? do many people live there? lots of houses? schools? hospitals?

^^ thats your assignment for today

Leave a comment:

• deadman2312
    Guest replied

Ok, what i REALLY REALLY wanna know is......

That smile...i just wanna slap the hell out of him....

Leave a comment:

• megawhompertoo
    replied

Neat post.

For those who may be curious, that prop job is a C-2A, probably delivering mail to/from a carrier.

edit. second look...no it's not. help me out...osprey? no. too many blades.

edit 2: upside-down AWACS? nope. e2's fuselage and cockpit would be visible...

edit 3: arghh. somebody?

Leave a comment:

• Ghilleman
    Guest replied

Hurrah for WWII history! Its always interesting to read about great battles (of the pacific theater or anywhere else). I already knew about this, but thanks for finding some good articles.

Leave a comment:

• drunken sailor
    Guest replied

bro who doesnt know the real story of wake. great post none the less

Leave a comment:

• DesertFalcon
    replied

its a small island only 3 sqmiles but i knew it was real even before bf2. most places in bf2 are real but not acctual physical locations,

for example there is a gulf of oman although the beach does not look exactly like it does in resl life.

Leave a comment:

• Nightf1yer
    replied

Very interesting, great post!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X