Two eithernet ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two eithernet ports?

Why do some computers come with two eithernet ports. I can understand one, but what can you use the other one for?

Re: Two eithernet ports?

You're sure the other one isn't a modem?

Comment

Some PCs do indeed have 2 ethernet ports. My motherboard has the standard NForce 10/100 port, and also a Marvell Gigabit 10/100/1000 port.

I use the Nforce port for normal use.

You don't really need both, unless (like me) you have a fancy configuration.

Comment

Its really only good for intranet things. You can use load balancing across two internet connections as long as they are on differnt subnetworks.

It can cause havoc with some internet security things as packets may switch external IPs.

Not many people have two cable modems or DSL lines so, theres no internet advantage too it.

Comment

Lots of boards come with two ethernet ports.Im only guessing that having two means if you have two broadband providers you can switch between them easily and choose which to use.
          Why you would want two broadband providers though i wouldn't know.

Also it may be be handy to switch between a network and seperate internet source.
          ie: Playing or hosting BF2 on lan with mates and wanting ethernet access to the internet or other.

Comment

If you have two computers in your house and no router or hub, you can use the second network port to run a crossover cable to the second computer. My mobo has 2 network ports, I just disable one of them.

Comment

The 2 ports can be used for a LAN or for networking, using a crossover cable to transfer data and ultimately as a back up if one takes a dive.

Comment

One major reason is they they are really cheap to add to a motherboard now that the chipsets have much of the logic integrated and it looks good on the feature table in comparisons.

Comment

If you dont have a router you would have one port for the internet and XP will route up to 9 computers and plug your network switch into the other port so the other comps can have internet. No crossover cables needed.

Comment

I've got 2 broadband lines, one of which my employer installed, and which has a hardwired VPN link direct to my office. One of my Local Area Connections goes thru my normal broadband, and the other is attached to the VPN. I mostly disable the VPN one, but on occasions when I can't be bothered to bring my laptop home (i.e. I've been out in town for a drink after work) then I can just enable the VPN connection and disable the other, and hey presto I'm on the office network.

Although why I'd want to do more work, after a night on the beer, is beyond me!

Comment

Working...
                    X