No announcement yet.

My first post, tech question (settings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first post, tech question (settings)

Just upgraded to a AMD 64 3500+ on a gigabyte MB with 1 gig of DDR ram. My vid card is a Nvidia GeForce 6600 256 mb.

Just curious what you would recommend my BF2 settings be at for a good trade off of FPS and good visual quality. (video settings I am asking about)

Not ready to upgrade the vid card yet so telling me to do that probably wont help.

Thanks.......

Re: My first post, tech question (settings)

just go into the game and try the different settings. i would advise starting at all high and then starting a SP game and see how the game plays. if its a bit laggy, try lowering some settings down a bit until you are happy about the quality and performance

Comment

Yea just figured with all the restarting the game etc.... that would be a lot of time... figured someone would have similar setup and could give a hint where to start

Thanks tho!

Comment

my brother has a 6600 and he plays all medium. you can try setting some settings to high like geometry and effects that usualyl dont have much impact on ur fps

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html
        this is also a good read about the video settings

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
          my brother has a 6600 and he plays all medium. you can try setting some settings to high like geometry and effects that usualyl dont have much impact on ur fps

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html
          this is also a good read about the video settings
          Start with 1280x1024

Following to high (these are the most important to see/shoot the evil pixels before the evil pixels can target the hit box around your pixels):
          geometry
          view distance

Everything else to low, 2xAA. See how well it will run, and then start turning up the eyecandy. As the poster above stated, tweakguides has an excellent write-up on what eyecandy matters the most for gameplay (they even include SCREENSHOTS to show the setting on/off), what the tradeoff is in terms of performance, etc.

Comment

Resolution size will do alot for graphics quality without using too much GPU power, so set it as high as you can go without seeing a major drop in FPS.

With a normal 6600 I would expect you to run mostly on medium graphics settings, no dynamic light or shadows. MY old 6600GT ran mostly medium.

Although your graphics card has 256Mb of memory, its memory bandwidth is only 128 bits wide. Because of this I would recommend that you dont run any AA. Running no AA will allow your FPS to go far higher. As said before upping the rez insted will make it look better, without swallowing up precious GPU power.

To get the best out of your 6600, experiment with different drivers. Some of the older drivers give better BF2 performance. For example the 77.77's & 84.21's.

I ran similar settings to the ones I suggested on a 6600GT and got 65+ FPS, dropping down to 40+ in heavy action.

Comment

Medium-low, no AA, no dynamics ligh/shadow, low lightening. Geometries on high (you can see the vehicles from further) and view distance of 100%

Comment

Working...
              X