Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia 7800GS AGP owners: Battlefield 2 not performing well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia 7800GS AGP owners: Battlefield 2 not performing well?

It's been two days since I installed this graphics card into my computer. Generally, the improvement was fantastic except for my favorite game, Battlefield 2. Before this graphics card, I had a Radeon 9800XT 256MB which ran Battlefield 2 smoothly with absolutely no performance issues, it was always stable at 15-25 fps on:

1280x1024
    Max settings
    2x AA

However, the Geforce 7800GS displays mixed results, at the same setting, I have higher FPS range (20 fps - 50 fps) than the 9800XT (15-40) yet almost every half a minute, the game stutters for a few seconds, bring the FPS count to 5 or under.

Here's my CPU and RAM spec:

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3.0Ghz
    2GB of DDR400 RAM overclocked to DDR430

Because Radeon 9800XT ran Battlefield 2 well, I ruled out the possiblity of my other hardwares being a possible bottleneck to the Geforce 7800GS. I searched the internet of how other 7800GS cards ran Battlefield 2; most shared the same problem and disappointment I have.

However, I realize that in many cases, these bad experiences may be miniscual in comparison with the good experiences, after all, we tend to express more when we are unsatisfied than not. Who knows, I might not be reading the good experiences of this card on Battlefield 2.

So, to the Geforce 7800GS AGP users, how well does Battlefield 2 run for you? To allievate this issue, I'm going to turn of anti-aliasing since that's one of the most intensive settings that demands large resources and power from graphic cards.

Re: Nvidia 7800GS AGP owners: Battlefield 2 not performing well?

Sorry maybe totally unconnected and also a different card but i run a 6800gs
    256mb AGP with a 2.6 intel cpu, ive found that my performance in bf2 was kind of poor until i changed the settings in my nvidia profiles panel.

Instead of using BF2's anti-aliasing settings i (application controlled in nvidia CP) set the AA to 2xQ and the game looked much nicer and ran a whole load better.

Seems the driver settings in the nvidia panel work way better, maybe you could try tweeking them in your panel?

I dunno, long shot, but it worked for me. In BF2 i run everything on medium apart from effects on high no AA, game runs at a steady 40+fps (even in intense fighting situations) and looks sweet too.

To add.., dumb Q i know, but is your power supply atleast a 450W? if not it needs to be and i take it youve hooked up the power cable too?

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Killer
      It's been two days since I installed this graphics card into my computer. Generally, the improvement was fantastic except for my favorite game, Battlefield 2. Before this graphics card, I had a Radeon 9800XT 256MB which ran Battlefield 2 smoothly with absolutely no performance issues, it was always stable at 15-25 fps on:

1280x1024
      Max settings
      2x AA

However, the Geforce 7800GS displays mixed results, at the same setting, I have higher FPS range (20 fps - 50 fps) than the 9800XT (15-40) yet almost every half a minute, the game stutters for a few seconds, bring the FPS count to 5 or under.

Here's my CPU and RAM spec:

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3.0Ghz
      2GB of DDR400 RAM overclocked to DDR430

Because Radeon 9800XT ran Battlefield 2 well, I ruled out the possiblity of my other hardwares being a possible bottleneck to the Geforce 7800GS. I searched the internet of how other 7800GS cards ran Battlefield 2; most shared the same problem and disappointment I have.

However, I realize that in many cases, these bad experiences may be miniscual in comparison with the good experiences, after all, we tend to express more when we are unsatisfied than not. Who knows, I might not be reading the good experiences of this card on Battlefield 2.

So, to the Geforce 7800GS AGP users, how well does Battlefield 2 run for you? To allievate this issue, I'm going to turn of anti-aliasing since that's one of the most intensive settings that demands large resources and power from graphic cards.

i got myself one of those too.

ok, what is your agp apeture set too in the bios?

it NEEDS to be set to 256 on this card. it lags on anything else.

download nvtweak and enable additional 3d settings. and change max number of frames to render ahead from default of 3 to 2 then 1 then maybe 0 just try the game in between each setting

dload pci latency tool (yes this does work for agp cards) and change default latency for your card.apply,save and apply seetings at startup option. remember also to change the agp controller listing to whatever you change ure vga card too so they always match. mine was 64 i have had joy at 96, 128 and 32, play and see. remember a lower figure isnt always better, this is latency not as in delay latency but hanging onto the bus when directed.

disable tripple buffering and vsync.

i have found overclocking this card from stock does it no real favours :-(

try disabling agp fast writes with rivatuner
      and play with write combining in troubleshoot section of graphics properties

see if that makes any odds at all.

HTH

adam

p.s. try your system without any overclocking too.

Comment

What drivers are you guys using? 7800GS is a 7900GT core re-named for AGP. There have been alot of reports of the 7900's experiencing problems with the 91.31 drivers. Give the Beta 93.33 drivers a go.

Comment

I have an eVGA 7800GS, had problems with it running certain games, I found out that I wasn't the only one suffering from black screens and such from playing a minute of BF2.

Turned out that the drivers were bad. And was recommended to try the NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=nvidia
          and never had a problem since. If you suffer from the black screens select compatibility mode during the installation prompts.

I run at:
          Code:
          VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 3
          VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 2
          VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 3
          VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x1024@60Hz
          VideoSettings.setAntialiasing 4Samples
          VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1
          VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3
          Average FPS around 80-90.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
            What drivers are you guys using? 7800GS is a 7900GT core re-named for AGP. There have been alot of reports of the 7900's experiencing problems with the 91.31 drivers. Give the Beta 93.33 drivers a go.
            91.31 official for me .33's are somewhat more troublesome than .32's, for me i mean, not a blanket statement, better the devil you know for now....i did try NGO's latest release of modded drivers and the IQ on those was the very best i have seen, amazing on my machine, but so much so they were laggier than NV .31's by a fair bit

so am back to nv official .31's

adam

video.con

Code:
            VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 4
            VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@85Hz
            VideoSettings.setAntialiasing 4Samples
            VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1
            VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 4

Comment

Yeah, have some major performancedrops here also. I'll let you know if i find a way to improve it

Comment

I have a BFG 7800 gs oc 256mb.
                As long as i keep dynamic light and dynamic shadows on low, i can run all other graphic settings in bf2 on max.(anti alias x4) 91.31
                The game runs smooth as silk.(or at least as close to silk as bf2 gets)

Try this:

www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

Comment

Originally posted by moltenblack
                  I was kinda hoping there wouldnt be any need to tweak anything, what a bummer. I'll walk through it tonight, thx for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                  X