Wireless - "There is a problem with your connection"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless - "There is a problem with your connection"

Heya, im new so sorry if this is in the wrong place or something. I searched the forums and found a few threads on this, but most of them were different to my problem (i think)

Yesterday i bought a new wireless adapter, becuase ive moved my computer and my old adapter was rubbish. I got Belkin G+ MIMO USB one, quite good. But when i play every minute or so (possibly less) I get "There is a problem with your connection", which is really annoying.

When i turn off encryption for the adaptor it only lasts a second instead of 5 seconds. But this is obviously unsafe, and the message is still there. When im on the wire its fine and runs perfectly, but i dont like having a massive wire running through my house.

I noticed this morning that when i played World of Warcraft, i had the same problem when on wireless, the game slowing down every minute or so, so i dont think it can be the game.

My adapter is 54mbps as is the router, but the adapter can handle 108mbps.
    if anyone can tell me how i can get my computer details (like the processer and graphics card and stuff) then i would be really grateful. sorry if i've rambled for too long

Can anyone help?

Re: Wireless - "There is a problem with your connection"

Well this prob wont be the answer that you have been looking for but i heard that wireless things aren't any good at all for online gaming. Just stick with the cable dude.

Comment

The latency of wireless is far slower than wired connections. Like you already know this is the cause of your problems. Having a poor signal strengh will only make the problem worse.

Comment

Ah bugger! Oh well, thanks guys. Cable it is!

Comment

Your problem: you game on wireless.

Run an Ethernet cable outside of your house from window to window like a man.

Comment

this game is so intensive and hungry on bandwidth that your bleeding yourself dry.. I would pop a hole in the floors and run some kittie kat5 through the crawl space but that's just me..

Originally posted by mcarda
            Your problem: you game on wireless.

Run an Ethernet cable outside of your house from window to window like a man.

this game is so intensive and hungry on bandwidth that your bleeding yourself dry.. I would pop a hole in the floors and run some kittie kat5 through the crawl space like a little b!tch but that's just me..lol..

Comment

I have a MSI Wlan Router and a cheap Wlan USB Dongle on my Gaming PC and my Pings on my Fav. Server are like 35ms. I never have Connection Timeouts or Lag spikes or ANY other trouble. My Wlan runs at 54Mbit with WPA encryption since day 1. After some Router and Wlan dongle Setup its all fine and shiny.
              PCs and Routers have to be Configured to run properly together. Its not very complicated but you need some knowledge about Ethernet, Wlan, TCP/IP and MAC.

PS: Sweatbandman: YOU HIJACKED MY AVATAR !!!! ^_^

€dit: Check your Router in the PPPoE Section if there is a default disconnect time or something. Mine is set to 120 Minutes Idle time then Disconnect and "dial on Demand".
              You also might have Problems with your Wlan BAndwith. Try to set it to a lower level then
              54Mbit to prevent that auto-bandwidth-switching if your Wlan connection is bad / jammed.
              Also try to switch to a different channel then the default 6 or 7. IF there are many other Wlans in your area and all sending on the same channel, you get nothing but Air-traffic Jam )

€dit: 2 or 3 dunno: PM me if you need further help with Wlan/Router setup. I´ll try to help even if my english is not that good....

Comment

Originally posted by Silent_Bob_
                I have a MSI Wlan Router and a cheap Wlan USB Dongle on my Gaming PC and my Pings on my Fav. Server are like 35ms. I never have Connection Timeouts or Lag spikes or ANY other trouble. My Wlan runs at 54Mbit with WPA encryption since day 1. After some Router and Wlan dongle Setup its all fine and shiny.
                PCs and Routers have to be Configured to run properly together. Its not very complicated but you need some knowledge about Ethernet, Wlan, TCP/IP and MAC.

You probally have a sweet signal strength. My signal strength to my laptop goes up and down like a yo-yo. This is due to the amount of walls my signal has to go through, not to mention any other 2.4GHz signals (phones and other crap) interfering with signal strength.

Comment

Try the other Channels and change the Wlan bandwidth (should be in the Routers advanced Wlan settings) to a lower level Merlin. MAYBE it helps....

Comment

Cool I will give it a try.

Comment

Heres a Image of my Router Setup for the different Wlan Data Rates. Sry for the German stuff....the english Setup is somehow gone after Firmware update :cry:

I translated the german suff though hehe
                      F34R my MS PAINT SKILLS !

PS: you can also try to increase the Beacon Intervall to max.

AFK for a Smoke. BRB ^_^

Comment

You could try an add-on antenna for the router. If you get a PCI WLAN adapter for the PC instead of the USB you could use an add-on antenna there too. Also try to eliminate possible interference from microwave ovens and 2.4 GHz cordless phones (the newer 5.8 GHz phones shouldn't be a problem).

Comment

LOL. You noobs, its has NOTHING to do with wireless protocol, Mbps setting, WPA encryption, PPPoE/A, doesn't even have to do with pings (per say)

The problem you are having you described perfectly already with your own words:
                          "But when i play every minute or so (possibly less) I get "There is a problem with your connection", which is really annoying."

Its not probably less.... its EXACTLY every 60 seconds. Go time it. You'll see that exactly every 60seconds your connection pauses... Not just in BF2, also in html downloads, p2p, ftp, whatever. Exactly every 60 seconds your connection will stop, then resume again.

So... want to know how to fix it ? Well.... Since I am the only person I've ever seen thats posted anything about this I'll just assume very few other people have figured it out. Apparently even the wireless companies don't know since its STILL a problem.

Oh right, I was telling you how to fix it. I almost think I've posted this before here but anyway.

You changed wireless adapters but I bet 10:1 you are not running the configuration/connection tool that came with the new adapter. And if you are running it, doesn't matter b/c you are letting Windows control you'r wireless settings.

Goto Run, type services.msc, scroll down to the bottom and find Wireless Zero Configuration service. Right click and STOP it. Now go play BF2. You won't have any lag (except for whats on your conenction and how ever much wireless adds (~5ms I've found on my setup))

The reason this happens is that MS in there infinite stupidity does something every 1 minute that stops almost all usb wifi drivers from working, they timeout and restart. There are only 4 or 5 wifi chipset makers and thus this problem effects almost ALL usb wireless adapters.

In my expereince I've found I has a strong distaste for the way linksys handels wireless so what I do is let WZC handle connecting then I have a .bat file that runs at start up to stop that service. Works for me, but its a pita when its drops the connection b/c I need to go start the service wait for it to connect then stop it again. I'll selling that pc soon anyway. Next one will be PCI wireless.

Anyway, stop WZC in services.msc and try that.

btt for original poster

Comment

Originally posted by este
                            LOL. You noobs, its has NOTHING to do with wireless protocol, Mbps setting, WPA encryption, PPPoE/A, doesn't even have to do with pings (per say)

The problem you are having you described perfectly already with your own words:
                            "But when i play every minute or so (possibly less) I get "There is a problem with your connection", which is really annoying."

Its not probably less.... its EXACTLY every 60 seconds. Go time it. You'll see that exactly every 60seconds your connection pauses... Not just in BF2, also in html downloads, p2p, ftp, whatever. Exactly every 60 seconds your connection will stop, then resume again.

So... want to know how to fix it ? Well.... Since I am the only person I've ever seen thats posted anything about this I'll just assume very few other people have figured it out. Apparently even the wireless companies don't know since its STILL a problem.

Oh right, I was telling you how to fix it. I almost think I've posted this before here but anyway.

You changed wireless adapters but I bet 10:1 you are not running the configuration/connection tool that came with the new adapter. And if you are running it, doesn't matter b/c you are letting Windows control you'r wireless settings.

Goto Run, type services.msc, scroll down to the bottom and find Wireless Zero Configuration service. Right click and STOP it. Now go play BF2. You won't have any lag (except for whats on your conenction and how ever much wireless adds (~5ms I've found on my setup))

The reason this happens is that MS in there infinite stupidity does something every 1 minute that stops almost all usb wifi drivers from working, they timeout and restart. There are only 4 or 5 wifi chipset makers and thus this problem effects almost ALL usb wireless adapters.

In my expereince I've found I has a strong distaste for the way linksys handels wireless so what I do is let WZC handle connecting then I have a .bat file that runs at start up to stop that service. Works for me, but its a pita when its drops the connection b/c I need to go start the service wait for it to connect then stop it again. I'll selling that pc soon anyway. Next one will be PCI wireless.

Anyway, stop WZC in services.msc and try that.

btt for original poster
                            thank you so much, that completley fixed all my "lost connection to server" errors, and my lag is almost completley gone... cant wait to get a wirless g adapter, maybe that will take it all completley away?

the only problem i got was: when i was connected to the network, i could disable it and it would work fine, but if i wanted to 'repair' my connection i would have to enable it again to make it work but restarting my comp made it work

Comment

What I did was I moved the modem and router to my computer down stairs and then hooked up my wireless adapter on the computer upstairs. If you want your pc specs hit start, run, and type in dxdiag.

Comment

Working...
                              X