Strange error at startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange error at startup

I get this strange error when I start BF2.

Those huge spaces around 'DO' and 'AND' are actually underlines for some reason.

I've owned the game since around late June 2005, and only recently did it start happening to me.
    I'm on version 1.3

Is there a way to sync the folders? Cause it seems the only way to fix this is to do a reinstall and that's not really comfortable with 3 Discs (CD-ROM Version) and then applying 1.3 patch..very time consuming, then everytime I quit the game and then i start it up some time later it has this error.

Re: Strange error at startup

This is now happening to me. I get the very same message. All my nvidia drivers are up to date. I am running the 1.3 patch as well. All was well until this morning. I miss bf2....please help!!

Comment

Have you tired to delate your cache folder?

Comment

What are your full system specs as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrt1989
          Have you tired to delate your cache folder?
          what is the directory for the bf2 cache?

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
            What are your full system specs as well?
            I attached the dx file below. I think I did this right.
            CPU specs: AMD 3700+ San Diego
            2 gig ultra low lat ram
            Asus premium sli
            Asus 6800gt pci-e

Comment

Have you tried to reinstall the full 1.3 patch to correct the error?

Comment

Ok...in case any one runs into the above issue...Here is my fix: btw...I am not advanced in cpu.
                After failed attempts to uninstall/reinstall bf2 and reinstall bf2 1.3 patch I uninstalled everything.
                Went to C: and cleared out windows explorer to recycle bin.
                Went to registry and cleared all file associated w/ bf2. Sent them to Recylcle bin.
                The pain was here: I used Eraser to overwrite all files associated w/ bf2. Restarted. Verfied my latest drivers again...just to make sure.
                Reinstalled bf2.
                Reinstalled patch 1.3.
                WOOOOT!!! I am up and running again. hope someone else can use this!!

Comment

Thanks downfall, I'm gonna try doing that.

But what do you mean you used Eraser to overwrite all files relating to BF2?

Comment

Eraser is a program that overwirires information like 7 times so that it cannot be seen. When you delete a file etc....windows just temporarily removes it from its current location in memory. I send data to the recycle bin.....then I overwrite that data so that it is rendered useless and void. I warn you though...if you put the wrong file in and erase it on accident.....reovery is extremely slim to none. Good luck with this.

Comment

just go to my documents and delete the battlefield 2 folder. If you want to keep you controls go into the My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001 and save your controls.con file. Most importantly you are looking to delete the video.con file in your profile so it attempts to optimize the shaders again.. hope this helps for you...may be easier than reinstalling everything all over again

Comment

that is a viable option. I would definately attempt this first as erasing will take an hour or so.

Comment

OMFG i just got this error when i installed BF:SF!!

Comment

OK fellas.....Admin....may want to Sticky this one, but it's up to you. EA actually responded with their fix. Now, my fix worked for me, this may work for everyone else as well as me if it happens again. This is copied directly from the email they sent me:

Open My Documents.
                            Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
                            To delete the game files (in the default location):

Open My Computer.
                            Open the C drive.
                            Open the Program Files folder.
                            Open the EA GAMES folder.
                            Close all open windows.
                            Right-click on the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.
                            To edit the registry and remove Battlefield 2:

Click on the Start button.
                            Click on Run.
                            Type regedit in the text field.
                            Click File and then choose Export.
                            Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
                            Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
                            Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
                            Click the plus sign next to Software.
                            Click the plus sign next to DICE.
                            Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
                            Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
                            Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
                            Click the plus sign next to Windows.
                            Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
                            Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
                            Right-click on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} andchoose Delete.
                            A Confirm Key Delete window will appear, choose Yes.
                            Close the WindowsRegistry Editor.
                            Battlefield 2 is now completely removed from your system.

Also, please download and install the Battlefield 2 full v1.3 patch

Comment

Working...
                            X