Going from CRT to LCD..big mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from CRT to LCD..big mistake?

I recently upgraded from a 17" CRT to a 19" LCD. It's heaven.

I happily try to open up BF2, but it does something with resolutions then goes right to desktop. Not even the EA logo comes on.

What did I do?! Does BF2 have something against LCD's or what happened?

Re: Going from CRT to LCD..big mistake?

Actually, CRT screens are capable of displaying higher resolutions, and they have better quality picture.

Anyway, what is your screen resolution?

Comment

1280x1024

Come on, can't anyone help?!

Comment

erase your profile by going to MY Documents and fiding the BF2 folder, I had the same problem you had and thats all i had to do

Comment

****. You mean I uninstalled my Battlefield 2 for nothing.

You know, I'm stupid like that sometimes.

Comment

no its your refresh rate, lcds need drivers to display anything other than its default refresh rate usually. all you need do is check your current refresh rate on your monitor then edit your video.con to accomodate that refresh rate. all will be fine then. oh..you need to edit two video.con's possibly. your login screen is the default profile then your actual account will be 0001 or 0002. let me know how you get on!

Comment

You dont need drivers, you can set it in your advanced display settings. My LCD works fine on 75Hz without drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by j00g0t0wnd
                I recently upgraded from a 17" CRT to a 19" LCD. It's heaven.

I happily try to open up BF2, but it does something with resolutions then goes right to desktop. Not even the EA logo comes on.

What did I do?! Does BF2 have something against LCD's or what happened?
                I had the same problem: look here and see a solution

Comment

I have a 20.1" wide screen LCD and have never run into any display issues. The main issues are refresh rate and resolution. I am running at 1680x1050 for the wide screen and 75Hz. I have the standard Nvidia drivers and downloaded nothing special to make this LCD monitor work with BF2. Try updating to the latest drivers, and then set your graphics to something Windows likes, then when you get into BF2 go to Options and make sure the resolution and refresh are the same as Windows....you shouldnt have a problem then. Let us know how things work.

Comment

Hopefully you have fixed it by now..but deleting your Battlefield 2 settings usually fixed the 'insta-crash after upgrading to LCD' issue that we've all experienced.

Just browse to:
                    c:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\My Documents\Battlefield 2

and delete everything you see.

Just make sure you back up your controls.con file if you have specific controls set up and you'll need to remember your BF2 username and password.

Comment

my game used to work.. until i reinstalled

i have the same issue as the topic maker and i still cant resolve the issue.. so i emailed EA support and the person said:
                      Battlefield 2 does not support LCD or widescreen monitors so there is no guarentees.. then they gave me a fix WHICH DID NOT WORK.

Comment

What is the native resolution of your LCD monitor?

Comment

Here is what I did when I went from a 21" CRT to a 19" LCD.

Instead of deleting your whole bf2 my docs directories, you can just go into the profiles directory and delete video.con file from each directory including the "default" directory. This file will be recreated when you restart.

While doing this, also delete the contents of the cache directories from /mods/bf2/cache and /mods/xpack/cache, since these will be recreated for your new monitor.

Comment

19 inch lcd = 1280x1024 native res. All lcd monitors nowadays are plug and play, so you do not need drivers to set any resolution (you may need them to get other features such as advanced color controls).

Delete bf2 folder in my documents and it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by coolbho3000
                              Actually, CRT screens are capable of displaying higher resolutions, and they have better quality picture.
                              agreed with till just recently. LCD technology has caught up with crt in terms of quality picture. It won't be long before the crt vs. Lcd argument is reduced to "crt's have 100hz refresh rates, lcd's don't."

Comment

Working...
                              X