Ping in Melbourne Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping in Melbourne Australia

What pings do you guys get when playing in Melbourne? Also are there many clan servers as I'll be looking for a new one as I'll have to leave ARSE when I leve Europe and go to Oz. The one i'm in now everyone pays for it and I'm looking for one like that.

What company should I go to for the best connection speed? Right now I've got the speed for a connection and want a comperable one.

Download snelheid (Kbps): 20480
    Upload snelheid (Kbps): 2048
    Homepage ruimte: 50 MB

Who would I go through and how much will it cost??

The reason I'm asking is that I am reading complaints about ping in that part of the world and I'm wondering if I'm about to downgrade my gaming experience.

Re: Ping in Melbourne Australia

Australia is a big country with a host of good local servers. Melbourne and Sydney are the two main Internet hubs in Australia.

I'm on a 512/128kbps (download/upload) connection, with an average of 50-80ms ping for most Australian servers, and 70-120ms ping for servers in New Zealand. Servers in the USA register around 200ms ping.

The best gaming Internet Service Provider is Internode. See their webpages at internode.on.net They have many gaming servers as well, including more than a dozen for BF2.

Other notable internet service providers with good reputation for speed and quality are iiNet, Netspace, and more recently, Westnet. Netspace and Westnet have their own gaming networks as well, but not as extensive as Internode. I have personal experience with Netspace and Westnet and both have been very reliable with good speed and customer service.

Stay away from big telecommunications providers like Bigpond and Optusnet. Although Bigpond powers the almighty GameArena gaming network (largest in Australia, and their competitive ladders are one of the best in South-East Asia), their internet service itself has a very bad reputation and reviews.

Whirlpool http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ is the best online community for broadband internet in Australia. They have a fantastic forum for help and advice, and provide excellent reviews and summaries of broadband service providers.

Most of the Australian broadband network runs on ADSL1 (up to 1500kbps download and 256kbps upload, OR 512/512kbps symmetrical). Telstra/Bigpond is introducing the ADSL2 service currently, and an alliance of smaller service providers are also introducing their own ADSL2 network as well in the very near future.

Comment

So I will not be able to get a connection as fast as what I have no is what you are saying?

How much is that 1500 per month?

Comment

Why does the max D/L speed matter?

I mean... when have you EVER tried downloading something, and it went any faster than ... 1... or 2 mb/s?

Comment

You can get faster connections....my mate in sydney has extreme cable with Bigpond which is 17mbps not sure the upload (but its fat)...no idea what he pays either but it aint hugely expensive

Originally posted by metallicaguitrst
          Why does the max D/L speed matter?

I mean... when have you EVER tried downloading something, and it went any faster than ... 1... or 2 mb/s?
          prob not much unless u network or something....my mate in sydney can play BF2 while d/l all sorts of crap and his kid can play WOW on the spare puter all at the same time...and still have bags to spare....its like why have 4gb....for no reason except u can

Comment

All the time man, 20MBs connection = fast as hell.

So I'll still be able to play in Melbourne with say 20 ping with certain companies yes? I did notice after looking about is that you guys get raped in charges for internet.

Comment

Originally posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
              =
              So I'll still be able to play in Melbourne with say 20 ping with certain companies yes? I did notice after looking about is that you guys get raped in charges for internet.
              I'm sure you will be able to.....most of my experience was in sydney i used to get 10 ping to loads of servers in bf42.....now i live in HK. A gazillion people but no servers...i have to connect into singapore, taiwan or korea, lucky to get in cos busy as all f@$k and then a ping of 60ish.....i often end up playing on internode cos its stable with a ping of 150...i can still get golds occasionally so i've adapted.....i would love to play with 10-20 ping again

Comment

Well put Jungles and very true. I'm using AAPT and have no complaints.

Comment

Oh great, I was worried!

Thanks guys, any clans I should look up when I move?

Comment

depends if you're good or not

there are some very good clans and some very casual clans down under.

Comment

The trick is to move somewhere in Melbourne where you are within 1-1.6 km of your local exchange. If you do that and you move to the right area you may be able to get ADSL2+ if that exchange is equiped with the right gear. Then you can get up to 24mbit down.

We do get raped for our net speed and costs out here. EG I'm with bigpond, get 1.5 down 256kup and so called unlimted downloads (once you reach 10gig your speed gets capped to 64k) and they also count all bandwidth as in uploads and downloads combined. For this wonderful plan it costs me $100 per month. They do have services that don't count towards your downloads like Gamearena who host the BF2 servers, 24 of them, but I can't recommend them go with someone else. Look at Internode and there Extreme DSL and check the locations they have their gear in for ADSL2+ and move there within 1-1.6km of the exchange and you'll be right mate!

There are 110 clans registered on the GameArena ladder, plenty to choose from depending on if your a serious player on not and whether you have the skills.

Comment

I used to be with BigPond, too, Capt.HKS ... Never again.

I'm with Internode now and paying $89.95 per month for a 1500/256kbps unlimited plan. Well, "unlimited" ... (shaping after 40GB). The uploads aren't counted, though, so ... try as I might, I struggle each month to go over the 40GB cut-off point. I could never go back to 10GB, though ... I still feel a lot of loathing toward BigPond for those few times I was capped.

Are you locked into a BigPond contract? Most of the BigPond customers I know seem hell-bent on leaving as soon as their contract expires.

Comment

No I'm out of contract now and just deciding on who I want to go with. Internode so far looks the go. Can't you get their extreme DSL account though even if they don't have the gear in your exchange? Its cheaper too @ $79.95 I believe?

EDIT: Don't worry I answered my own question. The extreme plans aren't available unless an ADSL2+ Dslam is in your exchange or planned. Unfortunately there is none in my exchange and none planned, damn I want 24Mbit!

Comment

Originally posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
                            Oh great, I was worried!

Thanks guys, any clans I should look up when I move?
                            GameArena - http://www.gamearena.com.au - is the place for competitive gaming ladders in Australia. There are others, but none are as big or tightly managed as GA.

I used to play in their Call of Duty ladder, and the quality and variety of competition was good. Hacking was strictly enforced, clans were easy to set up and manage, and servers were reasonably reliable. Some of my associates used to play the Counter Strike ladder on GA, and they had no complaints at all.

You can find their BF2 ladder on here: http://www.gamearena.com.au/pc/games...dder/index.php

Take a look at the top clans and see if they are recruiting. Be warned, like most top-tier clans, many of the best clans are very hard-core about their gaming. If you value your personal life, the top clans may not be for you.

Better-known clans include AEF, which have a number of separate teams competing in the ladder; Lex Talionis, which I know to be good from my Call of Duty clanning matches; and The Older Gamers (TOG), which is a more casual clan for mature-aged players and also fields multiple team entries for a variety of games.

If you're a good player with time to spare, then it looks like five of the top ten clans are open for recruitment. Plenty to choose from.

Comment

Wish he'd never come....

Isn't that right smokejumper? you stoner canadian teamkiller!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X