bad FPS on great system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bad FPS on great system?

Lol, okay well I think my issue is screen tearing, because when I ran fraps I would get between 45-90 FPS according to fraps, with an average of about 65. This is with 2x AA and all settings on high at 1024-768 resolution. Sooo, maybe it was just the in game FPS command that was giving me incorrect frames? Anyway, I will try turning vsync on, because I was getting some pretty bad tearing.

Comment

You did install your motherboard drivers, right? And is the fps you're getting on a server with a bunch of players (50+)? If so, try going nito a smaller room, like 32 players and see what you get...

And everec, turning vsync on will only lower his framerate. When using vsync in a game without Triple Buffering (such as BF2), the frame rate HAS to be at a fraction of the refresh rate of the monitor where the numerator is 1, such as 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc... So with my monitor at 60hz, the only framerates I could get are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12 etc. Even if my GPU would be powerful enough to put out 55 fps at some points, it would have to go down to 30 fps to stay in sync with the monitor.

Ryenolflu, were you looking at the number at the right or the left of the slash for the in-game fps counter? The fps is the one on the left.

Comment

um where exactly did you get this misinformation? I suggest reading a thing or two about refresh rates. Here I'll link you

just like movies or television, your computer simulates motion on your monitor by displaying a series of different images. Your monitor's refresh rate is the amount of times that the graphics card will update this image every second. A refresh rate of 75 Hz means that the monitor image is refreshing 75 times per second.

Refresh rate problems may arise in a video game when the computer is processing frames faster than the monitor's refresh rate. For example, if the computer is fast enough to process 100 frames per second, and the monitor's refresh rate is 75 Hz, there will be times when a frame is calculated and is displayed halfway through one of the monitor's refreshes. This can cause "tearing" or "artifacts," which is a nuisance.
        The Op definately has a setup that can run bf2 alot higher than 60fps, even more so now that he's lowered his settings. Tearing is his issue. the first step would be turnin vsync to on to force his game to run at fps that his monitors refresh rate is locked at.

Comment

Originally posted by everec
          um where exactly did you get this misinformation? I suggest reading a thing or two about refresh rates. Here I'll link you
          http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/...l#refresh_rate

The Op definately has a setup that can run bf2 alot higher than 60fps, even more so now that he's lowered his settings. Tearing is his issue. the first step would be turnin vsync to on to force his game to run at fps that his monitors refresh rate is locked at.
          I.... don't really see how that proves my point wrong. Tearing does not bring down performance, it's just when the frames get out of sync with the monitor (causing the visual "nuisance" tomshardware describes). Hold on a sec and I'll find a link explaining my explanation

edit: here we go: http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html If you really don't feel like reading the whole thing, he sums it up at the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by rylenolflu
            Lol, okay well I think my issue is screen tearing,
            and from the same article I linked you

As a solution (for screen tearing), V-sync (short for vertical synchronization) can be enabled. This limits the frames the computer processes to the exact refresh rate of the monitor, and prevents artifacts. For example, with V-sync enabled the calculated frames in a game will never exceed the refresh rate. A 75-Hz refresh rate would limit the computer from calculating more than 75 frames per second.
            so why not just start with the most simple step? turning vsync on....

Comment

Originally posted by everec
              and from the same article I linked you
              Exactly, vsync LIMITS the framerate, it locks it. As in, it CAN'T go higher than the hz of the monitor. How the hell does LOCKING the framerate make it go higher? Not only that, but as I said earlier, the framerate can only be at certain fractions of the hz of the monitor.

And could you please read the article I linked to? It explains the upside of vsync (no tearing) and the downside of vsync (lower fps)

Hell, I'll quote it if clicking the link is too much
              In general, I recommend starting off with VSync disabled in any game as this is the most trouble-free method of gaining the fastest possible performance. This is the simplest solution, and on monitors which have lower refresh rates, or for games in which your framerate is not very high, this appears to be the best solution. You may notice some tearing, but this will generally be minimal if your FPS remains below your refresh rate anyway. Remember though that even if your FPS matches your refresh rate exactly, or is even below it, whenever VSync is disabled the graphics card and monitor are not strictly in sync, and tearing (however minor) can occur at any time.

Comment

you do understand that locking the framerates at the same refresh rate of a monitor is not a hindrance right? if your lcd's refresh rate is set to 60hz and your show_fps is saying 120fps w/vsync off...your actually only seeing 60fps...you could only see the 120fps on a good crt monitor that support 120hz refresh rate...

Comment

Yes, but as I said earlier, if the framerate ever happens to dip below 60 fps, it will instantly drop to 30.

There is however a more fundamental problem with enabling VSync, and that is it can significantly reduce your overall framerate, often dropping your FPS to exactly 50% of the refresh rate. This is a difficult concept to explain, but it just has to do with timing. As we know, when VSync is enabled, your graphics card pretty much becomes a slave to your monitor. If at any time your FPS falls just below your refresh rate, each frame starts taking your graphics card longer to draw than the time it takes for your monitor to refresh itself. So every 2nd refresh, your graphics card just misses completing a new whole frame in time. This means that both its primary and secondary frame buffers are filled, it has nowhere to put any new information, so it has to sit idle and wait for the next refresh to come around before it can unload its recently completed frame, and start work on a new one in the newly cleared secondary buffer. This results in exactly half the framerate of the refresh rate whenever your FPS falls below the refresh rate.

Comment

and so what exactly is the problem? your own source says to turn on vsync if tearing is too much of a pain. he has one of two choices, leave it off and put up with tearing, or turn it on and play on high.

from the link you gave me.

So Which is Best, VSync On or Off?

VSync poses a real dilemma for many people: with VSync off, tearing can occur whenever your graphics card and monitor go out of sync, and this can be very annoying for some people, especially in fast motion games. However with VSync on, your FPS can often fall by up to 50%. This can be resolved on many systems using Triple Buffering, but that also brings with it a range of possible problems. So which choice is right for you?

Well clearly I can't give you a one-size-fits-all answer, but I can provide some suggestions. To start with, I strongly recommend setting VSync to 'Application Preference' in your graphics card's control panel. This is because ideally you should set your VSync preference on a game-by-game basis, preferably using the in-game settings, as the choice will differ depending on the type of game you are playing. Newer games with complex graphics for example will be different to older games which your system can run much more easily. Remember, in games where your FPS is consistently above your refresh rate, enabling VSync is perfectly fine and results in no real drop in FPS.

In general, I recommend starting off with VSync disabled in any game as this is the most trouble-free method of gaining the fastest possible performance. This is the simplest solution, and on monitors which have lower refresh rates, or for games in which your framerate is not very high, this appears to be the best solution. You may notice some tearing, but this will generally be minimal if your FPS remains below your refresh rate anyway. Remember though that even if your FPS matches your refresh rate exactly, or is even below it, whenever VSync is disabled the graphics card and monitor are not strictly in sync, and tearing (however minor) can occur at any time.

In any game if you find tearing annoying, you should enable VSync. If you find your FPS has halved, you should then specifically try enabling Triple Buffering, as this can help fix the FPS drops related to enabling VSync, but it introduces the possibility of hitching on graphics cards with less VRAM, and possible control lag on some systems. See the Triple Buffering setting below for details.

There is no clear choice for everyone when it comes to VSync, and this is why the option to enable or disable VSync exists both in the graphics card control panel and in games. As long as you understand what it does however, you can make an educated choice to suit your hardware and tastes.
                    This should settle it. it would be in op's preference on how he wants to play
                    his low fps in medium settings is probably a nvidia driver issue. it could be directly related to his screen tearing and if that's the case new drivers should fix all his issues.

Comment

My point is that vsync will not raise the fps, if anything it will only lower it . Or was I under the wrong impression that the OP was looking for more fps?

Comment

Originally posted by knghtwhosaysni
                        Or was I under the wrong impression that the OP was looking for more fps?
                        Exactly, turning vsync on will only bring his already low fps even lower, so I don't know why it's being suggested as a fix.

Comment

50fps is fine.upgrade ur drivers to a better version,better, not newer

Comment

Working...
                          X