Random Freeze. I mean, MEGA freeze.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Freeze. I mean, MEGA freeze.

Hello there again. I'm becoming all-too-familiar with these here forums.

Basically, I've got 2 hard drives. 1 (an 80gb Western Digital) used for my OS, and one (a 250gb Western Digital) for storage. Both are SATA Drives, and my M/B is SATA supported. I've had to get a second hard drive, because even when I did a full reformat and reinstall of XP, BF2 still failed to patch. Anyways, to the issue.

I keep getting this mega freeze. And the only way out of it is to ctrl+alt+del, alt+tab to the Task Manager window, and end the process. The thing that pisses me off is I can play for about 1 microsecond before the freeze kicks in and I start swearing. The way I look at is two possible solutions:
    • [1]Throw my PC out of the Window, and sue EA.
      [2]Reinstall BF2 and re-patch it.

I want to do #2. But I will need to know how to patch to the storage drive ("F:\") without changing anything in the registry. Please, for the love of all that is holy, help.

Re: Random Freeze. I mean, MEGA freeze.

i think changing the registry is perhaps easiest way, unless copying the patch to the bf2 folder and running from their (like some older games it searchs close to where the patch file is to locate the valid exe)

ive been thru my registry already and currently run all games from my D: drive (250gb WD Sata)

Comment

If you want a patched copy of BF2 on your F drive, do the following.

Make a backup of your current BF2 install dir and put it somewhere.

Patch the game.

Move the newly patched BF2 directory to your F drive.

Move your backed up copy BACK to the original BF2 install location.

There..no registry changes needed.

Also, for hard freezes, check your temps, do NOT overclock (or even try underclocking) your hardware, and ensure that punkbuster is up-to-date:

Comment

I can't patch it on the main ("C:\") drive because everytime I try, it says patching failed.

Comment

I had this problem with every single patch for BF2, my temporary fix was manually patching, but then I read on a forum somewhere to do this:

1. Completely un-install BF2 and any x-packs, get read of any trace of it, registry, profiles, documents settings.

2. Go to Control Panel/User Accounts.

3. Create a new account called Battlefield 2.

4. Install BF2 to the default dierectory if possible, If not, install in an EA Games folder.

5. If You have special forces, now install this.

6. Then patch from 1.12 upwards, if done correctly, this method should mean that all of your patching woes will disappear.

I guarantee it has worked 100% for me, but if it does not work for you, then I wish you the best of luck with it, but this is the only method that I know of that works.

Comment

Working...
          X