Server Problems?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Problems?!?!?

This is really a question for anyone who knows something about the running a BF2 server.

My issue is this....

Last night I downloaded the surreal 2 mod and jumped in some servers to play annnnd got bored quite quickly i wanted to drive around powerslideing but I just kept getting raped by vehicles.

So I made a server for myeslf and three other friends we all jumped in and the server was working fine everyone was getting fine pings 1 for me and between 20-30 for most everyone else. (note the server was running on one core of my processor and the game running on the other)

We had two more people join and then came number seven and our pings skyrocketed 500+. Our imediate thought was that the person who had just joined had such awful ping that he had screwed up the server so we asked him to leave. And the problem corrected itself but then number seven rolled around again and the ping went to ****. This happened over and over again as the night went on.

One member of the form has noted that this problem may have something to do with my upload speed being to low.

So I went and did a bandwith test.

My dl speed is on average 2500 kbps and my uplad speed averages 430 kbps.

Would this work if I ran it as a dedicated server?

Re: Server Problems?!?!?

Originally posted by AP_piano295
    This is really a question for anyone who knows something about the running a BF2 server.

My issue is this....

Last night I downloaded the surreal 2 mod and jumped in some servers to play annnnd got bored quite quickly i wanted to drive around powerslideing but I just kept getting raped by vehicles.

So I made a server for myeslf and three other friends we all jumped in and the server was working fine everyone was getting fine pings 1 for me and between 20-30 for most everyone else. (note the server was running on one core of my processor and the game running on the other)

We had two more people join and then came number seven and our pings skyrocketed 500+. Our imediate thought was that the person who had just joined had such awful ping that he had screwed up the server so we asked him to leave. And the problem corrected itself but then number seven rolled around again and the ping went to ****. This happened over and over again as the night went on.

One member of the form has noted that this problem may have something to do with my upload speed being to low.

So I went and did a bandwith test.

My dl speed is on average 2500 kbps and my uplad speed averages 430 kbps.

Would this work if I ran it as a dedicated server?
    Only for 6 players.

You need at least 2.5mb connection (both up and down) according to the minimum server settings in the readme file.
    Originally posted by Readme.txt
    ================================================== ======================
    DEDICATED SERVER
    ================================================== ======================

We highly recommend Battlefield 2 servers are run on dedicated server
    platforms. Currently, the best performance is on a machine with the
    following specifications:

LINUX
    - Minimum Specification, based on playing a 16 player game:
    CPU: 1 Ghz
    RAM: 256 Mb

- Recommended Specification, based on playing a 64 player game:
    CPU: 3 Ghz. For AMD Athlon 64 CPU: 3500+ (2.2 Ghz)
    RAM: 2 Gb

- Optimal Specification (as of Patch 1.3), based on playing a 64 player game:
    Only run one instance of BF2 per physical CPU with Hyperthreading disabled
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ or 3.66GHz Xeon.
    RAM: 2Gb per physical CPU

WINDOWS

- Minimum Specification, based on playing a 16 player game:
    CPU: 1 Ghz
    RAM: 384 Mb

- Recommended Specification, based on playing a 64 player game:
    CPU: 3 Ghz. For AMD Athlon 64 CPU: 3500+ (2.2 Ghz)
    RAM: 2 Gb

- Optimal Specification (as of Patch 1.3), based on playing a 64 player game:
    Only run one instance of BF2 per physical CPU with Hyperthreading disabled
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ or 3.66GHz Xeon.
    RAM: 2Gb per physical CPU

BANDWIDTH

- Minimum
    2.5 Mbit

- Recommended
    5Mbit

As always if you can increase any of the above hardware you will
    improve your overall gameplay experience.
    I know for my private match server, we averaged about 1mb during a 8v8 match.

Comment

Working...
    X