Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Server Denies 3rd Person View

Originally posted by Older-OMO
    It's off on our server because we don't think it is either realistic or fair. It's not realistic in that it's an FPS, not a TPS. Our contention is we would probably turn it on if they enabled birdseye views for infantry too.

How many more advantages do the vehicles need? So, a tank/apc can have a third person view to see a spec ops/engineer sneak up and plant c4/mines and that is fair? They can see players hiding around a corner, behind low walls, on the roof of low buildings, etc. A plane can use the views to see what's tailing it and essentially counter by watching the chase plane? Choppers can see tanks sneaking up from behind, etc......

Regardless, it takes more skill to operate armor, planes and choppers without the aid of third person views. It's funny to watch someone who depends on the additional views and can't deal with the change. Their feeling of invincibility evaporates... they are more vulnerable... perhaps a touch of balance has been restored. You can tell as the chat messages deteriorate from, "help, I can't change views", "what's wrong with my computer?", "I can't play without the views", to finally, "this blows I am out of here".

BTW, this comes from a plane/armor/chopper whore.

Feel free to continue the debate.
    I agree that its not realistic, but if i wanted realism, id go join the army :P

How you can say its not fair though? All vehicles can do it , so no one has an avantage over the other driver.
    Ok you can see inf sneaking up on you, but its not the easiest thing to shoot in TPS mode, so you have to switch back/ move/ aim/ shoot while they run at you. Planes/ Choppers in the real world have radars and what not to detect other aircraft ... is that in BF2? no? So lets have TPS instead :P

Comment

you can use 3rd person view as infantry, if you're climbing ladders

figuring out what's the use of seeing what's on top of ladders before actually getting there, is left as an exercise for the reader.

I personally don't care if it's disabled or not, but server owner should be left with an option to turn it on or off. I don't use it because it's just too much work to switch views for such a minor advantage with a drawback (I can see why it's more useful in jets, but I don't fly them). I mean, I usually can hear the infantry scurrying around the tank farther away than what 3rd person view would allow. I'd much rather see an option to hide the weapon model, that one royally p**ses me off.

Comment

Not "realistic"? Gimme a break. It's a game.

The 3rd person camera view aides you not running over your squad mates.

It is much easier to navigate in 3rd person view.

You can see AT mines and C4 much better.

You can sneaky spec ops.

You can see teammates so you can slow down and pick them up!

You cannot aim or shoot your weapon effectively. This isn't used to rack up your kill count. It is used in a mostly defensive manner.

I submit that turning off 3rd person view is like removing the flash grenade. You're removing a method for your players to protect themselves.

Comment

Dissallowing 3rd view in a vehical is pretty cool. I mean......as a soldier you can 3rd view........so why should being in a vehical, which gives you an advantage...........be given even more advantage?

I dont get the logic myself.

Comment

If I had the peripheral vision that I have in real life in the game, then I would agree that it is unnecessarily unrealistic to give you the 3rd person.

However, your field of view is pretty small in the game and without 3rd person, you can't see ****.

Comment

Originally posted by TomGazpacho
              Not "realistic"? Gimme a break. It's a game.

The 3rd person camera view aides you not running over your squad mates.

It is much easier to navigate in 3rd person view.

You can see AT mines and C4 much better.

You can sneaky spec ops.

You can see teammates so you can slow down and pick them up!

You cannot aim or shoot your weapon effectively. This isn't used to rack up your kill count. It is used in a mostly defensive manner.

I submit that turning off 3rd person view is like removing the flash grenade. You're removing a method for your players to protect themselves.
              Everything you just said.........still........is an aid, or an advantage over the other 50 or so people on the server, not being able to use 3rd view. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCircuitCash
                Well, it wouldn't matter to me WHAT camera angle they "disallowed" When in an attack heli, or any other heli for that matter, make the CTRL key your friend...you'd be surprised at the advantage you get.
                I know that key well, it's the "flip the helicopter up-side-down" key. LOL

Comment

Get rid of em all accept for the only veiw infantry has, 1st Person.

Yes it's harder. What's wrong with harder? Good god at the first sign of adversity so many criy foul.

Would you run over more teammates? Yup. Till they learned to stay the hell away from your tank/vehicle. Which should be the case now. The vehicles are your best support and defense. To run along side, cut infront of, or hang around the back of a person trying to support you in a vehicle , then drool and cry because you got run over, is moronic.

Even if he has every veiw available to him. You want him maneuvering freely (for the most part) for a better shot on another vehicle instead looking out for infantry. And that's comming from an infantry player. I think it would promote awareness of your teammates, and that's the first step to teamwork. Realizing there are other people playing besides yourself.

It's also an excellent way of limiting vehicles without dicking around with ballistics or armour. Same vehicle same power, you just have to work a little harder and be more cautious.

As an engineer you should be able to wait for a slow manauvering enemy tank to pass, and be able to drop mines behind him. As is stands now a quick glance at rear chase and your being run over before you can lay the mine. Even third person give you too much of a veiw of what people are trying to do behind you and beside you. Wanna see behind you? Turn the turret 180 degrees and drive backwards.

For me it's an immersion issue too. When you break the 1st person plane the game becomes less immersive. Whether that relates to realism or not, is a fine line. It's similar but different.

Not to mention , as your power increases in vehicles, why should your available views also increase? Doesn't seem logical, fair, or consistant.

Comment

third person view is ok i think for ground vehicles, as their weapons are nearly rendered useless.....for the jet/heli, i thik the frist person view that hides thecockpit/panel/etc, and gives a clear, and unobstructed cockpit view should be fine....

you want to talk about balance....what about your server which doesnt allow a person this view over another server that does, how then does this make things balanced? (not that i care, just for argument sake)

Comment

Working...
                    X