Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question.

I have a Dell, 512 MB Ram, 80 GB Hard Drive, Intel Celeron D 2.66 Ghz.
    I am probably going to be buying this video card: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...879888&CatId=0

I'm wondering if it will run okay when playing Battlefield 2.

Thanks.

Re: Question.

It will run BF2, but that card sucks balls, your settings will be low and it will be a bit choppy. To run BF2 anywhere near decently, you'll need another 512MB of RAM, and something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...799238&CatId=0

Or

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...231766&CatId=0

Or

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...648387&CatId=0

Unfortunately you cant play this game on the cheap well, you need a decent graphics card. Note the cards I suggested are at the minimum.

Comment

Turbo Cache is a nice word for "My GPU doesnt have its own RAM and needs to eat my System RAM to operate and that sux."

Comment

Originally posted by Silent_Bob_
        Turbo Cache is a nice word for "My GPU doesnt have its own RAM and needs to eat my System RAM to operate and that sux."
        Either that or "purchase me and it will only encourage graphics card manufacturers to continue to release crap cards for suckers"

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
          It will run BF2, but that card sucks balls, your settings will be low and it will be a bit choppy. To run BF2 anywhere near decently, you'll need another 512MB of RAM, and something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...799238&CatId=0

Or

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...231766&CatId=0

Or

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...648387&CatId=0

Unfortunately you cant play this game on the cheap well, you need a decent graphics card. Note the cards I suggested are at the minimum.
          what settings can those ati cards and nvidia card run at i might get 1 for old computer cause this 6200 is dying im pretty sure

Comment

The first 2 cards would run medium, the last would come close to high depending on the rest of your system.

Comment

Ok, I just got off the phone with Dell Support, and they said that the computer I have doesn't have a PCI-Express slot...only PCI.

Sorry, but can you give me any other recommendations about the same price as the ones before?

Comment

Originally posted by PanAm
                Ok, I just got off the phone with Dell Support, and they said that the computer I have doesn't have a PCI-Express slot...only PCI.

Sorry, but can you give me any other recommendations about the same price as the ones before?
                Whoops. PCI only aye? That really screws it for you, PCI slots havent been used primarily for graphics cards for 5 years, so the choices are few and not very good at all. PCI doesnt allow for the data throughput that the higher end cards need to run well. Unfortunately a lot of PC companies like Dell and HP omit AGP or PCI-E slots to save dollars, unfortunately its these slots you really need for decent graphics cards.

Here are 2 cards which will play BF2, but they will play it really poorly. If gaming is real important to you, you're really going to need to get a new computer (or motherboard at least).

Comment

Whoops. PCI only aye? That really screws it for you, PCI slots havent been used primarily for graphics cards for 5 years, so the choices are few and not very good at all. PCI doesnt allow for the data throughput that the higher end cards need to run well. Unfortunately a lot of PC companies like Dell and HP omit AGP or PCI-E slots to save dollars, unfortunately its these slots you really need for decent graphics cards.

Here are 2 cards which will play BF2, but they will play it really poorly. If gaming is real important to you, you're really going to need to get a new computer (or motherboard at least).

Also, do you think that there are any 256 MB PCI cards?
                  http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...165749&CatId=0
                  How laggy do you think it will be with the second card? (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...165749&CatId=0)
                  Will I still be able to play the game?
                  Also, do you think that if I got a PCI 256 MB card, it would make a difference?

Comment

There are no good PCI cards. At least none that will play a demanding game like BF2. People should stop buying DELL crap and get a XBOX instead. Cheaper, more power, looks better, no need to Upgrade mysterious things like Drivers or Patches. You NEED some knowledge about PCs and the OS to operate one at its full potential (DELL doesnt have any potential though).
                    I am sorry i dont wanna make u look bad or something but if you do not know what Slots your PC has available, (and thats given in the Manual...DELL does have manuals i guess?) you shouldnt bother buying new parts for it and dont even think about it to install it yourself.
                    If you have no Idea about whats going on in your Case, then pack it up and carry it to some shop or a buddy who KNOWS what he/she is doing.

€dit: you asked the Hotline, thats a good thing to do. I know others who cant even operate a Phone. You cant expect a dirt cheap pre-made PC to run as good as a selfbuild rig with carefully choosen parts in it for twice the price you paid for yours mate. Sorry....
                    €dit 2: To make it more clear: DELL sold you some very very bad stuff. Celeron is a low cost CPU for desktops running nothing but WORD and some ebay. 512 MB RAM is sub standard. 1 GB is AT LEAST recommend for nowadays games, PCI slot is dead for Graphiccards like what...5 years? You need at least AGP. We dont have to talk about your GPU since it is PCI and that means...you guees it...outdated.

Comment

I know which slots my PC has. It has 3 PCI slots.
                      I'm thinking on just buying a new MotherBoard. Can somebody give me some suggestions from TigerDirect? Prefferably one without Mail and Rebate crap.
                      I also want to make sure my processor will fit it.

Comment

Yes you know what Slots you have but do you know what that means as well?

As i said: no Upgrade you do now will run ANY modern game well.
                        You need:
                        New Motherboard > 60$
                        New CPU > 150$
                        New GraphicsCard > 150$
                        New RAMs > 100$
                        Prolly a new Powersupply > 50$
                        Prolly a new Case > 20$
                        Some1 to build it and Install OS/drivers > no idea
                        all numbers are rough guesses because i dont use $ )

Again, i am not fooling around with you. If you wanna play Games but have no PC knowledge: Get a Console ! Insert CD/DVD; njoy;

Comment

Originally posted by PanAm
                          How laggy do you think it will be with the second card? (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...165749&CatId=0)
                          Will I still be able to play the game?
                          Also, do you think that if I got a PCI 256 MB card, it would make a difference?
                          It should run it ok with resolution set to 1024 x 768 with all settings to low.

And NO, a 256MB PCI card will run no better than a 128MB one, the graphics processor itself will not use that much memory. I'd spring for a 128MB one as the memory on it should be faster and of higher quality than a 256MB card.

Comment

It should run it ok with resolution set to 1024 x 768 with all settings to low.

And NO, a 256MB PCI card will run no better than a 128MB one, the graphics processor itself will not use that much memory. I'd spring for a 128MB one as the memory on it should be faster and of higher quality than a 256MB card.
                            Okay, I want to be absolutely sure before I order it.
                            You're sure that it won't be too laggy with that card and if I set the resolution to the numbers specified above?

Thanks, I really do not want to have to go out a purchase a new motherboard and all the crap if I can play the game alright with this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...165749&CatId=0
                            Do you think adding more RAM to my PC will make it better if it lags a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Silent_Bob_
                              Yes you know what Slots you have but do you know what that means as well?

As i said: no Upgrade you do now will run ANY modern game well.
                              You need:
                              New Motherboard > 60$
                              New CPU > 150$
                              New GraphicsCard > 150$
                              New RAMs > 100$
                              Prolly a new Powersupply > 50$
                              Prolly a new Case > 20$
                              Some1 to build it and Install OS/drivers > no idea
                              all numbers are rough guesses because i dont use $ )

Again, i am not fooling around with you. If you wanna play Games but have no PC knowledge: Get a Console ! Insert CD/DVD; njoy;
                              Youre being a bit arrogant. Spending $200 odd would get him a motherboard that would take all this guys old components and give him an AGP slot and a decent AGP card, and maybe a bit extra to go towards another 512MB of ram. I'm sure this user doesnt have the ability to splash out a grand just to play one game.

Comment

Working...
                              X