In praise of Infantry Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In praise of Infantry Only

In light of the recent wave of criticism that has deluged this site the past week or I would like to just say a big thanks to whoever decided and implemented the IO idea. Personally, since i began playing late last year, I can count the amount of times I and my friends have wished there was a way to get rid of armour/jets and concentrate solely on squad based infantry combat. To me it the most exciting and rewarding part of battlefield, and is so often ruined by someone who is ridiculously good in armour. I have nothing against people who like armour and jets, except perhaps a little jealousy , but in the spirit of fairness that has surrounded this new patch, i want to say thanks to the person who decided to accomodate for people like me, who like to get their hands dirty on the ground. You done good guys

Re: In praise of Infantry Only

i also share youre joy,

dont get me wrong i still like normal bf2 but i want to try somthing else aswell,
    IO is a breath of fresh air.

a new game mode to get my teeth in to and try new stratagies,i feel there will be better teamwork due to the fact with out it you wont last long.

vbf2 has great gameplay but lots of times(and im sure others would agree) you in a situation where its squads v squads in a all out battle (karkand train wreck for example the battles over the bridge) only to have it cut sort by armor.

im sure there will be some great battles in IO mode whitch i look forward to.

i look forward to them becuase as a sniper i now have a meaning thats key to my team m8's victory i can spot,kill,injure the enemy and advance with my troops and gain ground.

i still feel strongly that it wont unbalance the bf2 community in to 2 groups.
    we still have our SF,AF,EF,vbf2 whitch we cant combind anyway,
    one more game mode isnt going to change that,

but it will give others the oppertunity to play bf2 in way which wasnt possible before.

i cant wait till all the testing is done and 1.4 is relased with ranked IO mode,

some great battles are ahead

Comment

I also think this a great thing that is being put into bf2. The amount of times i have died becuz of armor. Now i can last longer without worrying about armor taking me down every 2 minuites.

Comment

So long as they don't stuff up the rest of the game I'm all for it as a server option only

Comment

i play IO all the time. no vehicles, no arty. you could be a commander and use the UAV, scan and supplies. is pretty cool. you dont have to worry about anything but killing people. the game is so much fun.

most of the people that have been complaining about having IO settings are the ones that have never played in one. btw. people just dont go stat padding. you could actually see teamwork. people working together to get flags. heal, give supplies, and blowing the uav and scan trailer. i cant wait for 1.4

Comment

How do you find the Infantry Only servers to play on?

Comment

Make IO unranked and I won't have a problem with it either. DICE doesn't need to encourage stat padding more than they already do. When players play for statistics it degrades the whole gameplay experience as teamwork often tends to go out the window.

Funny story, I ran in to one of the posters here who is a big advocate of IO mode on one of my favorite 64 player city maps servers. And how shall I put this... this high ranking player (who shall rename nameless) wasn't doing all that well and was at near the bottom of the scoreboard every round I played with him. Purely to satisfy my curiosity I was keeping an eye on what was killing him (on Sharqi) and I noticed he kept dying to artillery, vehicles and the helicopters. This little observation further reinforces my opinion that the players who want IO mode are shall we say rather careless and as such have difficulty dealing with vehicles. Maybe he was just having a bad round. I can only imagine how badly he'd be doing on a map packed with vehicles like Gulf of Oman. I'm starting to understand the type of player that wants IO mode (aka easy mode).

I on the other hand was snagging the 1st or 2nd spot almost every round as a medic (on his same team) and I died approximately zero times over our three rounds to the helicopters, APC, tanks or artillery. Difference between me and this other player I assume is that I put a lot more thought and strategy in to my movement patterns and methods of attack which reduces my vulnerability to the heavy vehicles and makes me nearly immune to artillery (aside from the rare unlucky artillery I run right in to).

Comment

Originally posted by sonny
                i play IO all the time. no vehicles, no arty. you could be a commander and use the UAV, scan and supplies. is pretty cool. you dont have to worry about anything but killing people. the game is so much fun.

most of the people that have been complaining about having IO settings are the ones that have never played in one. btw. people just dont go stat padding. you could actually see teamwork. people working together to get flags. heal, give supplies, and blowing the uav and scan trailer. i cant wait for 1.4
                You may recall that regular BF2 was like that when it first came out, too, with all the people working together. Then once the newness wore off, people started Karkand medic-whoring for points, using the Hotel glitch for quick kills. That's when people started *****ing about spawncamping tanks at the Hotel, when they, too, decided against using teamwork and foresight to counter a threat and instead just wanted to be part of the giant cluster**** at the fence south of the Hotel because of the massive points that can be had. When the tank started interrupting their point-gathering, the whining began. I don't remember seeing anywhere near the kind of complaining about vehicles that goes on today back when the game was still fresh and new. My guess is that IO will travel down the same road eventually, too, and teamwork and people working together will go out the window in favour of garnering huge amounts of points. But then again I'm a pessimist, yeah?

Edit: You may also notice that in most servers, or at least the ones I play in, it's usually the newbies that are trying to stick with their team and taking up the support roles like Support or AT, following around their squad leader, working hard to keep their commander assets up and running. Generally the veteran players aren't concerned with such menial tasks and are all about the stats, at least in my observations. I'm guessing once the newness wears off it'll be back to the same old routine.

We shall see...

~Wolfgang

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneWhore
                  Make IO unranked and I won't have a problem with it either. DICE doesn't need to encourage stat padding more than they already do. When players play for statistics it degrades the whole gameplay experience as teamwork often tends to go out the window.

Funny story, I ran in to one of the posters here who is a big advocate of IO mode on one of my favorite 64 player city maps servers. And how shall I put this... this high ranking player (who shall rename nameless) wasn't doing all that well and was at near the bottom of the scoreboard every round I played with him. Purely to satisfy my curiosity I was keeping an eye on what was killing him (on Sharqi) and I noticed he kept dying to artillery, vehicles and the helicopters. This little observation further reinforces my opinion that the players who want IO mode are shall we say rather careless and as such have difficulty dealing with vehicles. Maybe he was just having a bad round. I can only imagine how badly he'd be doing on a map packed with vehicles like Gulf of Oman. I'm starting to understand the type of player that wants IO mode (aka easy mode).

I on the other hand was snagging the 1st or 2nd spot almost every round as a medic (on his same team) and I died approximately zero times over our three rounds to the helicopters, APC, tanks or artillery. Difference between me and this other player I assume is that I put a lot more thought and strategy in to my movement patterns and methods of attack which reduces my vulnerability to the heavy vehicles and makes me nearly immune to artillery (aside from the rare unlucky artillery I run right in to).
                  thanks for sharing that moment with us.

so youre saying if IO is not ranked then you will be happy for the IO gamemode to stay?

what is the differnce if its ranked or not? (not the obvious reason of points and stats but youre reason unranked makes IO better)

if you answer is "make it unranked so ppl wont play it"

then thats a tad sad.

i want IO to be ranked becuase i like to use the m95/l96a1 , points and stats just make it possible for me to gain unlocks and outvote others to be comander.

there are many IO threads im sure all IO fans know how mutch you hate it,but you seem happy to post about it,alot.

reasons for IO being ranked.

1.so we can use unlocks
                  2.so ppl will play it

reasons IO would be pointless(no pun intended) if it wasnt ranked

1.anymodder could create IO maps/mod
                  2.we would have inbalances with weapons mainly sniper,m24 vs svd/type 88 = no contest
                  3.no one would play it,servers would be empty most of the time.
                  4.why would EA/dice make IO unranked and waste there time coding the IO game mode if no one plays it???????

its a game mode that alot of players want(mostly europe,dont know why but its popular there)

this does not effect youre vbf2 game or anyone elses.

Comment

Just because something is unranked doesn't mean you cannot use unlocks. There used to be (maybe still is) servers that were unranked and had GlobalUnlocks set to 1 to allow everyone to use unlocks.

~Wolfgang

Comment

Geez a guy having fun, but scoring low..........must suck? As opposed to a medic tossing trip points down in the form of a bag..........and getting wish points.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang Abenteuer
                        Just because something is unranked doesn't mean you cannot use unlocks. There used to be (maybe still is) servers that were unranked and had GlobalUnlocks set to 1 to allow everyone to use unlocks.

~Wolfgang
                        yes but thats agaisnt the roe and lots of servers were shut down/stats reset ect.

id be happy to play vbf2 with global unlocks on but i cant so i have to harvest points till i get 50,000 then i can use all the weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by HowieMandel
                          Geez a guy having fun, but scoring low..........must suck? As opposed to a medic tossing trip points down in the form of a bag..........and getting wish points.
                          I don't know what your idea is fun is but it probably isn't dying over and over again to vehicles and artillery. Which is exactly what was happening to the player you're defending as a result of his carelessness. Carelessness that is then being converted in to anger and then focused out towards DICE in the quest for an easy solution to HIS OWN problem.

I always have fun when I play because I always win as a result of my dynamic play style and my adaptiveness to adversity. My idea of fun is working together with my team and squad as a collective in other to kill infantry, destroy vehicles, move forward and capture flags. Of course this scenario doesn't exist in IO because you don't need any collective effort because no challenging obstacles stand in your way (IE you don't need anti-tank kits or any other kit so a team consisting of 100% medics is just peachy).

Oh and while I do play a medic I typically recieve 2 or 3 points max out of my normal 80ish from "healing points". The majority of my points (95%+) come from a combination of revives and kills. Usually about 50/50 but it can vary depending on the map and conditions during the round. If you haven't noticed good medics who revive lots of teammates and kill lots of enemies tend to win rounds on tickets alone.

Comment

I also thank whoever came up with the idea of IO. It's really fun.

All of you armor/jet whores, why do you have to ***** about it? It's a game mode, so if you don't like it - don't play it.

I think your problem is you're all scared that you'll have no more infantry to kill because they will all be in the IO servers. If i'm right, then you're selfish and arrogant.

Comment

I always have fun when I play because I always win as a result of my dynamic play style and my adaptiveness to adversity. My idea of fun is working together with my team and squad as a collective in other to kill infantry, destroy vehicles, move forward and capture flags. Of course this scenario doesn't exist in IO because you don't need any collective effort because no challenging obstacles stand in your way (IE you don't need anti-tank kits or any other kit so a team consisting of 100% medics is just peachy).
                              a challenge doesn't exist in IO ?

please tell me in all you medic wonder skills will you dodge a sniper bullit from 250m when in a IO server.there are plenty of challenging obstacles that will stand in youre way in IO.

medic is overpowerd compared to the like's of assault for example,what would you do if EA/dice only took some of the power away and clips from the l85/g36e ect.

im not defending this person you speak of that had a bad round.
                              but when i play online there's always some poor player at the bottom of the score list with a bad score thats normal.

anychance i could have a look at your'e stats i dont want to pick at them just curious thats all.

oh and have you tryed IO in 1.4 beta 2 yet?

i would like to see a screen shot of you playing a round in a IO server.

Comment

Working...
                              X