XP 64bit....anyone using it????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 64bit....anyone using it????

Just wondering if anyone else has made the move to 64bit edition of xp.

I have just set up dual boot with 32bit and 64bit editions of XP.
    Installed BF2 onto x64 drive to see if any better performance. Only quickly tested it last night, will give it a proper go tonight.

Has any one else tried using x64 XP???? In the future i'd like to add another 2 gig of RAM to see if that would boost performance any.
    But x64 uses more system resources when idling anyway, running at about 350MB Ram usage when just on desktop with nothing open.
    But peaked at about 1.8 gig after playing for about half an hour. So another 2 gig should make a difference. Coz instead of pushing 2, 1 gig sticks, it would be using 4 sticks and using about half the amount of each stick.(if that makes sense) lol

Also whle i'm here. Does anyone know, if BF2142 will have a 64bit edition or will it even have 64 bit extensions, or is it just a native 32bit app??

With Vista coming out next year i hope at the very least they add 64bit extensions, but a pure 64bit edition would be great!!!

Re: XP 64bit....anyone using it????

No, I havent. I like my OS to have applications that run on it :P

Comment

SO far Vista is a not good for gaming at least for me.
      Maybe its my kinda outdated rig....who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent_Bob_
        SO far Vista is a not good for gaming at least for me.
        Maybe its my kinda outdated rig....who knows.
        Nah, Vista will be the business for games. But probably not for a year after release. Its still beta now, so its buggy as hell and not even optimised properly. Your rig is ok, but to get the most from Vista, you'll be wanting a quadcore cpu, ramdrive, and of course, the all important DX10 card.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
          No, I havent. I like my OS to have applications that run on it :P
          rofl!!!

I know what you mean. Thats why im dual booting. Just running x64 to see what its like.
          It is difficult to even get drivers for everything, then you have to worry about native 32bit apps, with stability probs etc.
          Certainatly wouldn't get rid of 32bit XP as yet.

And as for Vista, the first year will be probably unstable and loads of hotfixes etc, (sounds like EA lol). But eventually it will rock, so hoping that they release a 64bit edition of BF2142 to take full advantage of the new OS & of DX10

Comment

i have it. the only game i can install is the OLD call of duty but runs great on bf2 . sometimes it may have a drop in FPS . just delete your caches folder. then everything works great

Comment

I'm running 64 bit... Havent had any issues so far, only thing is that you have to google for almost every driver you need. Only thing i cannot find is for my old printer, but i dont need that anyways.
              BF2 runs great!! Wouldnt mind x64 and dual core support for it though...

Comment

I have XP64 running and it works great so does BF2. I also have a load of 64 bit software running and all my 32bit programs work with no problem what so ever.

The only thing as Mr NiceGuy said is you need to google your drivers but its not hard you type <your hardware> 64bit driver and then download and install it, simple as that.

As for a 64bit version of BF2142 its not going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                X