ram question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram question

hey if i get another 512 of ram and add it on to my 1.5 gigs will inotice a difference in performance playing bf2? better video performance?

amd athlon 64 3400+2.2ghz
    1.5 gigs of ram
    80 gig hd
    500 watt psu
    ati radeon x1600 pro 512 mb pcie

Re: ram question

When I put 2 gigs in I noticed a big difference mainly when the a map first start of when all hell is breaking loose

Comment

BE CAREFULL! make sure all the ram modules are the same brand some motherboards get really picky on what ram you use IE the same speed and latency.

if u have all the slots filled and it dont boot it can be that your mobo doesnt like 4 ram sticks in there so go into bios and make your ram DDR333 instead of DDR400

Comment

A agree with ikillnothing. My machine ran badly with all the RAM slots full so it may cause you more problems than benefits. And no I can't see you getting better video performance, it MIGHT load a bit quicker, and it might allow you to increase texture levels slightly, but in all honesty, I'd upgrade your graphics card before I touched your RAM.

Comment

if u get right ram u should increase bf2 performance.

but if u have trouble with it right now i did say upgrade cpu, since video can't do much better without high powered cpu

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
            A agree with ikillnothing. My machine ran badly with all the RAM slots full so it may cause you more problems than benefits. And no I can't see you getting better video performance, it MIGHT load a bit quicker, and it might allow you to increase texture levels slightly, but in all honesty, I'd upgrade your graphics card before I touched your RAM.
            How much RAM did you have installed?
            Windows will only utilise up to 3GB anyway. If you install any more it will clog your system up as windows wont be able to access the final 1 GB. So putting too much RAM can do more bad than good.

But going back to the OP, adding another 512 should make a slight difference, and with the price of RAM its worth investing. But i also agree with ikillnothing, you NEED TO MAKE SURE all the sticks are the same speed and latency

Comment

i dont really need to upgrade the grafx because i could play all high with bf2 eversince i overclocked it

Comment

yea windows wont use 4gb on xp or any 32 bit windows due to a memory hole :cry: i think there is a slight workaround but u wont get 4gb:cry: bring on vista with no memory hole finally be able to stick my last 1gb stick in without loosing performance

P.S also check your pagefile u can increase that if its low that will help your performance so if u have 1.5gb ram increase your pagefile to 3gb

hope this helps you

my rig is

AMD FX57 @2.9ghz
                ASUS A8N32 mobo
                3GB DDR400 OCZ PLATINUM
                2X BFG 7900GTX cards
                580 watt psu
                1x 74gb raptor drive (games)
                1x 500 GB windows drive
                im getting conroe when it arives

Comment

Working...