Taking out choppers with missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking out choppers with missiles

I know how to take out choppers with guns but with the right technique ity is pretty easy to do it with missiles. It is much more fun to take out a chopper with missiles than with guns because chopperpilots dont expect to get killed that way.

What to do is to fly towords the chopper with missile lock on. I neither fire guns ore missiles untill the second before i pass over him. Just before you pass him you fire two missiles.

It is all about timing. You need to be as close as possible but still giving the missiles space enough to get in possition to get a hit.
    If you do it right the chopper pilot has no time to fire flares and even if he would have a spidermansense the missiles wouldnt be able to stear away from the chopper in time before impact.
    You could try firing 3 missiles but then you have to fire a bit earlier wich gives the chopper abit extra time.

You can offcourse start off with guns and finnish him with missiles.

I like to take them out with missiles because its more of a sport to get good at and its a more humiliating way to take out the chopperpilot.

The only true pleasure is malicious pleasure / Asker :evil: :laugh: :evil:

Re: Taking out choppers with missiles

It's no major disgrace to get taken out by a jet's AA missiles, especially when it's a good pilot at the yolk. After all, that's what they are meant for, so it's not like it's any real challenge to take a chopper down if they're unaware of your approach vector.

And good helo pilots know to switch camera views and approach vectors to minimize a jet's chance of getting a clean bearing on you. Good pilots know they don't pose a threat to a jet with a half-decent pilot and little interference from other jets, and so they fly evasively... meaning that timing you're trying to get down is gonna change when they barrel roll to avoid you.

The truly humiliating part of your scenario is this: You make a long, siren-blaring approach on me in a bird, and I'm gonna switch angles 'til I've got you, chaff out of it and reposition. Then I'm gonna line you up and put a TV missile in your cockpit as you make your second pass. I know atleast three pilots who are good enough to consistently take out jets as a solo TV-gunner when they attempt slow passes or delayed AA salvos.

If you wanna brag about rocking a helo with a jet, talk about dropping your bomb payload on them while they're in the air. I'll give it up for that.

I'm not downing on you or your opinion, I'm just saying that AA missiles aren't that hard to bring down choppers with. It's all about knowing when not to use it, knowing the pilots techniques and habits, and intimidating him into wasting a chaff. Granted, good helo pilots usually require a couple restocks on AAs before you can take them out, but once you've got their tactics in mind you can make mincemeat of them.

Just my two cents as an avid pilot of both jets and helos,
    Idle

Comment

what a waste of time. Aim for the cockpit and watch em drop in 4 bullets. Do not approach them in missle mode, and they won't know they're being attacked untill they're taking damage.

Comment

No its not any major disgrace but more than just gunning him down. Switch seats, you can also take down choppers by switching to co and firing a laserguided, the chopperpilot wont hear a thing untill the impact. Thats also humiliating but it is so much more fun to take a chopperpilot out with missiles when they know youre coming. Im sure there are allot of good pilots that can evade this kind of attack but ive succeded most of the times ive tried it. Plus if you attack with guns every time the pilot will soon know your moves.
        A decent planepilot also understands when a chopper is lining up to use tv.

Comment

I can't stand people who use missles on choppers. Just use the damn guns... so much faster.

I hope you aren't one of those guys that goes really slow and just unloads their missles..

Comment

They need to fix the crappy air to air missiles.

I dont care what I fly in the sky within the BF2 world, you are going to have to work to get a kill off me.

Comment

Originally posted by metallicaguitrst
              I can't stand people who use missles on choppers. Just use the damn guns... so much faster.

I hope you aren't one of those guys that goes really slow and just unloads their missles..
              lol tell me about it

Comment

Works for me 2 ........the guns all the way ............

Comment

My rockets just never hit choppers so I just go in with bombs armed and blast away with the cannon.

Comment

Guns and then finish them with a missle before pulling up. Works very well against BHs and the Flying Cows. However when using this technique, you have to have a very clear enter and exit strategy so you dont ram them.

Comment

and i cant stand being rammed when flying a chopper, also the best one i did was take down a F-35 as it moved slowely towards my chopper, opedned up my 30mm and wasted him

Comment

No I do it at full speed and I´m not sayng it is better than gunning them down. have you even read the post?
                        I mostly gun them down myself but like to try to do stuff in other ways every once in a while and found out that it is not that hard to take out choppers with missiles. I also fly chopper so I know about people flying at low speeds gunning and it sucks.

I sometimes use it to finnish choppers off that i have not been able to take out with guns. So instead of keep flying and gunning at the chopper with the risk of ending up raming the poor baystard i switch to missiles pull up a bit and fire just before i pass him. has been working great

Comment

If a jet attempts a slow run at us, my pilot lines me up for a TV and it's usually dead real quick.

Really the only people who can take us down are the l33t jet pilots who know how to use the ridiculously overpowered gun. No lock on, no warning...and any attack chopper crumples like a tin can within seconds.

Comment

A disgrace though, because those choppers in a situation like that where there would be jets, would be equipped with A2A missiles. If your a hardcore jet player, you probally play sims like Lock On. Which will show you just how dangerous a cobra can be if you miss a strafe run, and the bad part about it is, those older planes like the A-10 don't have lock on indicators. Your required to strafe, and instantly flare a tactic.

So if EA were smart they would of given the cobra A2A missiles as a secondary fire. Its so lame to see a jet coming and be able to do nothing about it. Until you just get bored of advoiding him the entire map and he finally gets you. Which is one reason I staff off vanilla. Its ok as long as the planes are balenced, and each team has a good pilot thats keeping each other busy, but past that its pretty much a rape fest for those poor choppers.

If isn't enough they've got planes, but they also have tanks, FAV's, AA, and sometimes Mobile AA. I may take up linebacker whoring, much more safer and I can kill infantry to.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaWar1
                              If a jet attempts a slow run at us, my pilot lines me up for a TV and it's usually dead real quick.

Really the only people who can take us down are the l33t jet pilots who know how to use the ridiculously overpowered gun. No lock on, no warning...and any attack chopper crumples like a tin can within seconds.
                              It doesn't need to be a l33t pilot. Pilots with above average skill can use the ridiculously overpowered gun and kill you before you see it coming.

Nerf the jets

Comment

Working...
                              X