Must-have tweak to increase the responsiveness of your mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must-have tweak to increase the responsiveness of your mouse

It's a simple tweak that I've known about for some time now but I realize the majority of players probably don't have the faintest idea it exists yet I find it absolutely critical for any FPS. For me this tweak is the difference between getting that kill shot off on than infantry or getting killed myself.

First I've got to mark this tweak as a bit of YMMV (your mileage may vary) because depending on your GPU (fast or slow) and monitor (LCD or CRT) the end result of this tweak may vary slightly. You'll also probably lose about 0-5 FPS with this tweak - but I find getting rid of a syrup mouse to be much more important than a couple frames. This tweak works for both Nvidia and ATI cards, but I'm only detailing the exact process for Nvidia cards (ATI folks just google it).

For Nvidia cards:

Step 1)

Download either: (you don't need both, but I'd recommend Coolbits 2.0 for most users but RivaTuner gives you a lot more functionality in other respects.

ForceWare Coolbits 2.0 - http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

RivaTuner 2.0 RC 16 - http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Step 2) It's as simple as setting your Prerender limit from the default 3 to 0 or 1. I'd recommend 0 as it'll give the most responsiveness on your mouse but some people may not notice the difference between 0 and 1 and get more frames from 1. So try both and see which you like more. Also I'd recommend disabling Vsync to completely eliminate all traces of mouse lag. If you insist on keeping Vsync on or run at 60hz refresh rate (LCDs) I'd recommend you then keep your prerender at 0 as Vsync is the main culprit of mouse lag when teamed up with a prerender limit of 3.

For Coolbits:

Go to your GPU control panel, and locate the following:

For RivaTuner:

Run RivaTuner and locate the following:

It's also worth mentioning that I've heard some games will not run properly at a 0 prerender limit however I have yet to encounter such a game. BF2 works just peachy and I think that the experienced gamers that are more sensitive to things such as mouse lag will appreciate this tweak more than others.

Enjoy.

Re: Must-have tweak to increase the responsiveness of your mouse

How do you install the forceware.? I downloaded it and there is no setup.exe.

Comment

end where i can finde this in ati drivers ????????????????? who knows?
      mayby ATI Tray Tools have it but i ont know where helpppppppppp!

Comment

Moving to tips & tricks

Comment

if you use a mouse for flying and don't give a crap about the finer things (like sniping), you can just crank up your mouse in windows, it has a direct relation to the mouse sensitivity in the game.

upside: if you fly alot and already have your mouse in game cranked up all the way, you can juice it up some more. i can do about 4 full loops on a 11.5 inch mousepad with the game cranked all the way and the mouse sense on high in window.

downside: don't plan on sniping or extreme precision aiming, your mouse will jump about 2-3 pixels doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Traci_Kila_Lords
            How do you install the forceware.? I downloaded it and there is no setup.exe.
            With coolbits you double click it which adds it to your registry and unlocks the appropriate settings in your regular GPU control panel.

edit: I noticed my link to the Coolbits 2.0 was cut off by a digit and thus incorrect. This has been fixed.

Comment

woaah...i gotta say, good catch. i use to think this tweak INCREASED fps but i reread the tweakguide's forceware page and i realized i was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by IVfluids
                if you use a mouse for flying and don't give a crap about the finer things (like sniping), you can just crank up your mouse in windows, it has a direct relation to the mouse sensitivity in the game.
                Mouse lag (what this tweak fixes) is completely different from your mouse sensitivity. Mouse lag is where you move your mouse and it doesn't move right away in the game. The delay can range from anywhere to 10ms to 500ms worth of lag (depending on your settings) but it's pretty much guaranteed to effect you ingame.

If you want an exaggerated example of the mouse lag change the prerender setting from 3 to something like 10 and force Vsync on.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneWhore
                  With coolbits you double click it which adds it to your registry and unlocks the appropriate settings in your regular GPU control panel.

edit: I noticed my link to the Coolbits 2.0 was cut off by a digit and thus incorrect. This has been fixed.

Thanks I'll give it a go!

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneWhore
                    Mouse lag (what this tweak fixes) is completely different from your mouse sensitivity. Mouse lag is where you move your mouse and it doesn't move right away in the game. The delay can range from anywhere to 10ms to 500ms worth of lag (depending on your settings) but it's pretty much guaranteed to effect you ingame.

If you want an exaggerated example of the mouse lag change the prerender setting from 3 to something like 10 and force Vsync on.
                    I was adding to your statement, not saying it would be better. Which is why I clearly said that cranking up your mouse settings in win would jack it up in game. Seeing as the topic was about mouse sensitivity and lag, it was a fitting comment to toss in

I keep my prerender at 1, have since about 4-5 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by IVfluids
                      I was adding to your statement, not saying it would be better. Which is why I clearly said that cranking up your mouse settings in win would jack it up in game. Seeing as the topic was about mouse sensitivity and lag, it was a fitting comment to toss in

I keep my prerender at 1, have since about 4-5 years now.
                      I see.

I'd be interested in some feedback from the people who apply this tweak and see how of a difference it makes for them - if any. I know I find it absolutely critical to do well (especially toe to toe infantry combat), but I know some people aren't as sensitive to mouse lag as I am.

Comment

I can't tell anymore with my mouse, up until this year, I had been ldoing the league thing for about 6-7 years. I'm so used to having my crap set a certain way that the only time I notice anything messed up is when I get a new mouse or buy a new game and have to adjust all the crap in it so it is twitchy.

Comment

what ATI users are suposed to google? this tweak doesn't seem to have a name...

Comment

Originally posted by whoundead
                            what ATI users are suposed to google? this tweak doesn't seem to have a name...

Comment

i give my positive feedback to this tweak (ATI) my mouse lag is almost eliminated.

Comment

Working...
                              X