No announcement yet.

Battlefield 2 - A brand new game to me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 2 - A brand new game to me!

I have the pleasure to announce my new system. My old rig which was retired :

Athlon XP 2200+, Asus A7V8X-X, Leadtek GeForce 6800XT(128MB, AGP ver),Excelstor 80GB (1MB cache), 1GB Super-Talent DDR400, 2TheMax EB-530 (600W) PSU, Generic DVD ROM, SoundBlaster Live! 24Bits.

I just replaced the CPU and with Pentium D 805(2.66GHz, 533FSB, 2x1MB L2Cache) and a motherboard Asus P5P800 SE.

Let me tell you, the difference is light and day!

BF2 automatically detected my old rig and assigned Medium settings with 75% view distance. The frame rate was in fact very low. It was between 18~25. And I frequently get killed because of lag especially when there are many people turn up in the same screen.

In the beginning I categorised BF2 as a GPU bound game. So 2 weeks ago I bought a new card GeForce 6800XT. To my disappointment, the frame rate does not increase dramatically though, the quality of graphics now looks better. In fact with nVidia's series 6, you can see the water through. And grass looks crispy. BUt the frame rate was still horrible.

Now that I know it is a CPU bound game. So I bought the above CPU and motherboard. The reason I bought a Pentium is because Intel CPU nevertheless, is smart in calculations. Afterall, even though we are talking about a FPS genre of game, it still requires tons of calculations to do specially when you are talking about textures, shadings and all sorts of other things. When I start the game last night in Single Player Mode, I applaused along side with my friend. Frame rate holding at 47 and fluctuates between 45~50. Ideally, 60 is the best cause that is real wolrd frame rates we see things with our flesh eyes.

But What I wanted to share with you is more than that. Now that BF2 still auto assigns everything to Medium except AA and viewing distance I get 90% which is as you know very crucial in combat. Prior to this Leadtek 6800XT(128MB) I was using Leadtek 5900XT (128MB). No doubt about it, 6800XT gives a better umage quality like a soldier is less blocky. I am not saying that it was very blocky with 5900XT, but 6800XT eliminates more edges and splines more obvious and nicely drawn. And I must mention the lightings. The sun glare is so rendered. So is the water. Now that I can see the sand in shallow water and the water to my surprise is so clear even in some very rural area. If all the water in the world is so clear then we have a very environmental friendly Earth to live in.

EA has done a great job. At first I thought, "So this is it. This is BF2. Just slightly better graphics than BF1942 which was invented back in 2002.". IN fact what I find out about BF2 is that it takes whatever hardware you give to it. The game arranges the best settings for your given hardware. But the better hardware you have, you will see better quality unleashed. They are all behind that spec which is opened basically. You can play the game with even an plain 5900 with a P4 2.4GHz Presscott. Or you can play it with a Core 2 Duo and a 7900GTX. Thanks EA! Ingenius invention.

Re: Battlefield 2 - A brand new game to me!

BF2 is a beautiful game indeed; congrats on your new setup.

Comment

Hardware upgrades make a huge difference, I noticed a large difference going from a 6600gt to a 7800gt (low and medium settings to all high) then when I slapped in a audigy2 zs card the game was more alive...worth every penny imho.

Comment

...imagine how it looks on my rig.

Opteron 170 (dual core) @ 2.7 ghz.
        2 gigs of DDR 500 Ram
        ATI X1900xtx Crossfired (two of them).

BIG GRIN. Congrats man. Have fun, and maximize your settings bro. Go for atleast 100% view distance if you like to snipe.

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMatx
          ATI X1900xtx Crossfired (two of them)
          damn man..

I was thinking of upgrading to the X1900 XTX myself in the near future.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't want to play BF2 on a low spec machine, the capabilities of my laptop have spoiled me:

3.4Ghz P4, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Go6800

Comment

i hate bf2 on low.....

Comment

Originally posted by zone36
                damn man..

I was thinking of upgrading to the X1900 XTX myself in the near future.

Yeah, adding in the cross fire didnt yield me any noticble results. I just threw it in because i had a excellent deal for it.

When I was using a single x1900xtx, the results alone are amazing. Great card.

Comment

Originally posted by stephensolfo
                  i hate bf2 on low.....
                  i play it on low =(

Comment

I upgraded my PC after I couldn't bear low settings and not knowing whether it would work any longer...now I love the game, its a joy to play. 2Gb RAM makes the difference, and my Gainward BLISS nividia 6800 GS 512Mb PCI-E, although not being really near the best cards, was superb vaule for money or bang for your buck, and changed how I play

Well done!

Comment

Brand New game to you huh. That means not only does it look and play smoother but you get the see the bugs even quicker! LOL

Comment

im running a 2 year old system and i just poored a little bit more into it to get that extra life out of it. check it out:

msi-6728 P edition mobo
                        dual P4s (yes, two individual CPU's and im unsure of the exact verion) running @ 2.8 ghz each
                        old 120 gb hd samsung model - 7200rpm 8mb cache via sata
                        new 300 gb hd maxtor model - 7200rpm 16 mb cache via sata
                        dvd player drive
                        cd burner/writer
                        new vid card - Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS (256 mb) via agp
                        3 gb of ram - x2 1g sticks by ocz DDR400, the other x2 512 mb by hynix

id buy a new system but im affraid i wont be able to settle for less than the near best which would cost me what i dont have, so i just upgraded this one a bit. besides, if i get another mobo with agp slot, i can always use my old vid card which is suppose to be a 512 mb radeon card 9800 pro series but... using the label on it, its a 9600 series which is what i dont remember seeing when i use to check my system. actually, 9600 is suppose to be 256 mb and i know i saw 512 so until i put that card in another mobo, ill remain very confused.

oh yeah, id take the 7800 out of this computer an d put it in my next one if it was anytime soon.. but w/e... i highly doubt buying a newer computer for long time unless bf 2142 makes me. but for the time being, im very contant with bf2 and any other game i like is less straining.

Comment

Now that my new system has costed me a fortune. But I just wonder how fast BF2 will be with a Conroe system.

1GB is okay, but I am sure with 2GB RAM, the game should experience no lag. I will upgrade to 2 GB and then activate the dual channel, the game should be faster that way.

Without lag, I can kill more accurately. But the 6XXX series really brings out the beautiful stereo images. 5900XT does not make objects look 3D stereo. Now it's all very beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                          X