No announcement yet.

PSP, Xbox360, Ps2 or maybe, Gamecube?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSP, Xbox360, Ps2 or maybe, Gamecube?!

I've been considering whether to buy a console (handheld console in the case of PSP), to get a fresh experience, and some different games, mainly console exclusive titles.

The PC games market seems a bit stale to me, I spent a lot of time yesterday, looking at online games retailers, through old titles, new titles, all different genres, and none of them excited me at all.

So what's the positives and negatives of these different platforms? The PSP looks nice, but there doesn't seem like many good games, same goes for the 360 as far as I can tell, where are the good games? I'm tempted to get a PS2 for the sheer number of quality titles available, and still being produced. Is the Gamecube an option at all? Or the DS? I am leaning toward the PSP because it can do many things, WiFi, movies, music ect, but can anyone tell me which games to get with it?

I probably won't go for the 360 as the titles I do like are also available on the PC, and they're not much good in my opinion anyway, CoD2 and GRAW, well except Oblivion. The online side of things seems very good though.

Re: PSP, Xbox360, Ps2 or maybe, Gamecube?!

I personally own a PS2 and PSP (PC obviously), and as it stands I would recommend the PS2. For the simple reason that the PSP currently hasn't got that many quality titles (I've got SOCOM:FTB and NSU:Rivals) whilst both are good game I've looked and I can't find any other games that are currently released that excite me enough to buy them.

The PS2 on the other hand as you have already mentioned has many quality exclusive titles, you don't need me to name them, clearly you've done you research. You can pick a PS2 up for ~£100 over here, probably lower with the closing release of PS3.

Originally posted by Apostle
    The PC games market seems a bit stale to me, I spent a lot of time yesterday, looking at online games retailers, through old titles, new titles, all different genres, and none of them excited me at all.

I totally agree I went to a shopping centre (mall) yesterday and found myself in the game stores as you do and found nothing that compelled me enough to buy it, it is quite annoying.

Comment

If you're looking for a handheld, defiantly go with the PSP, theres a pretty good variety of games out now, and most are aimed towards the older crowd, and not to mention all the extra things like movies, music, pictures, WiFi web browsing, etc etc. If you do get one, get the pack with the 1GB stick and consider buying either another or a 2GB memory stick. I only had a 512mb stick for mine for a while (and the crappy 32mb one that came with it) and could get maybe a movie on it, bought a 1GB stick and was able to have 3 Movies (on two sticks) and a TV show episode for my flights from Misawa, Japan to Ft Walton Beach, Florida.

Battery life on the PSP is pretty nice, I was considering buying a new battery for it before my trip but didn't get around to it, and now I'm glad I didn't waste my money, the PSP lasted for about 8-9hrs,and thats with me watching movies and playing games.

Also, if you visit many countries (or plan to), the PSP is backward-compatible with all games and movies (UMD) from everywhere. Bought a game off-base in Japan (for about 2500 yen), just to see if it would work and it did.

Unless you have a HDTV, I wouldn't suggest the Xbox 360 because, from what I've heard, is that it doesn't look all that great on a regular TV. I'd lean more towards the PS2, or even just a regular Xbox, as theres a large variety of games out for both.

Don't consider the GameCube right now, unless you have friends over alot and looking for something you can all play (Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Party, etc are great for crowds of people). Because if you don't then you won't have a lot of games, unless you enjoy playing games aimed at younger people. Nintendo, for the most part, seems to be aimed towards the "younger generations."

However, consider going to blockbuster (or some other video rental store, been a little while since I was in England, forgot what was there) and renting each of the consoles and a few games (not all at the same time, but over a period of time) and see which you like personally, and then go with that.
      _____

I do own the following: Sony Playstation 2 (since it came out), Sony Playstation Portible, Microsoft Xbox (won it at a Maintance Squadron Christmas party in 2002), Nintendo GameCube (for Super Smash Bros Melee and the remake of Metal Gear Solid), and every older game system (except for the Sega Saturn).

Comment

I have to admit your right, the PC games coming out lately aren't all that amazingly ''omg I have to get that'' but Prey was good, but the rest haven't drawn my attention.

I have a PS2, PSP. Used to have an XBOX and have played a XBOX 360, the X360 graphics are amazing, but since I played it on an HD TV, it looks alot better.

Comment

I say definately go with the psp. From my standpoint, the psp is not just a portable console, but a well made media device as well. It probably has better media capapbilities then the 360. You can put any music, photos, videos, game demos, save files from the internet on the memory stick and your good to go! And Sony is always coming out with new firmware updates so you never know whats coming. The last update allows you to now download game demos off the internet browser. Plus there is a great variety of umd video. I myself own Team Areica: World Police, some South Park, Dave Chapelle Season 1, and Family Guy Seasons 1 and 2. You can also put individual episodes of say, The Simpsons on the memory stick if you downloadded them off Limewire. You just need a shareware program called PSPVideo 9, and it does everything for you. And as for games, sure there might not be a whole lot, but look into the future. There are many AAA titles coming by 1 quarter next year, so well just have to wait. Although the 1 game im looking forward to keeps getting delayed:cry: (Grand Turismo) Some good games out now are Grand Theft Auto: LIberty City Stories (amazingly well made and takes a long time), Socom: Fire Team Bravo (great for multiplayer), Daxter (graphics and gameplay of a ps2 game), and Burnout: Legends (great racing game with large variety of songs and cars). So obviously i say go with the psp. By the end of this year, sony is supposively going to realease a gps unit and a webcam for the usb port. That should be pretty cool. And the nicest thing about the psp is that its portable. Whens the last time you heard about some one bringing along their xbox to play on an airplane?

Comment

Originally posted by EAGLE_18
            I personally own a PS2 and PSP (PC obviously), and as it stands I would recommend the PS2. For the simple reason that the PSP currently hasn't got that many quality titles (I've got SOCOM:FTB and NSU:Rivals) whilst both are good game I've looked and I can't find any other games that are currently released that excite me enough to buy them.

The PS2 on the other hand as you have already mentioned has many quality exclusive titles, you don't need me to name them, clearly you've done you research. You can pick a PS2 up for ~£100 over here, probably lower with the closing release of PS3.
            Umm, I'm looking at PSP, and to be honest, the games don't look that exciting, and if they do, then there is already a PS2 version that's just as good. The thing is, I have a video iPod, so I don't really need the PSP for movies and/or music, although it has a bigger screen, I normally plug my pod into the TV to view any vid's anyway. I have to admit, the PS2 is looking like the best option at the moment, the sheer number of games, and games that I missed out on (Final Fantasy games I've never played, but I want to now!). It looks like there is still many games being developed for the PS2, and with a massive back catalogue, seems like a good choice.

I totally agree I went to a shopping centre (mall) yesterday and found myself in the game stores as you do and found nothing that compelled me enough to buy it, it is quite annoying.
            I was watching PC Gamers video podcast a couple of days ago, its guest was Microsoft VP Peter Moore, who had some very interesting things to say about PC gaming. "Games for Windows" is going to be pushed hard when Vista comes out, also some new features like 'Tray and play', I think this is mimicking consoles ability to place the disc in the disc tray and play immediately, no installing. Also, MS will be encouraging games retailers to give more shelf space to PC games, so you'll see a similar ammount of space given to 360 or PS3, sounds good.

Originally posted by punkpber16
            If you're looking for a handheld, defiantly go with the PSP, theres a pretty good variety of games out now, and most are aimed towards the older crowd, and not to mention all the extra things like movies, music, pictures, WiFi web browsing, etc etc. If you do get one, get the pack with the 1GB stick and consider buying either another or a 2GB memory stick. I only had a 512mb stick for mine for a while (and the crappy 32mb one that came with it) and could get maybe a movie on it, bought a 1GB stick and was able to have 3 Movies (on two sticks) and a TV show episode for my flights from Misawa, Japan to Ft Walton Beach, Florida.

Battery life on the PSP is pretty nice, I was considering buying a new battery for it before my trip but didn't get around to it, and now I'm glad I didn't waste my money, the PSP lasted for about 8-9hrs,and thats with me watching movies and playing games.

Also, if you visit many countries (or plan to), the PSP is backward-compatible with all games and movies (UMD) from everywhere. Bought a game off-base in Japan (for about 2500 yen), just to see if it would work and it did.
            Wow, I'd love to visit Japan! Was it nice there? I can't see myself doing that much traveling to be honest, maybe someday

Unless you have a HDTV, I wouldn't suggest the Xbox 360 because, from what I've heard, is that it doesn't look all that great on a regular TV. I'd lean more towards the PS2, or even just a regular Xbox, as theres a large variety of games out for both.

Don't consider the GameCube right now, unless you have friends over alot and looking for something you can all play (Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Party, etc are great for crowds of people). Because if you don't then you won't have a lot of games, unless you enjoy playing games aimed at younger people. Nintendo, for the most part, seems to be aimed towards the "younger generations."

However, consider going to blockbuster (or some other video rental store, been a little while since I was in England, forgot what was there) and renting each of the consoles and a few games (not all at the same time, but over a period of time) and see which you like personally, and then go with that.
            Yep, our main movie/game rental store is still Blockbuster. Well I don't have a HDTV, but one thing I was shocked at, is how expensive console games are! Xbox 360 games are nearly all £40! Now as a PC gamer, I'm used to spending maybe £25 on a new release, and then the price drops considerably after a while, there's always bargains around. Another reason I'm agreeing on the PS2 idea, because it's an 'old' system, there is plenty of platinum games and many deals on games, also new releases seem cheaper.

_____

I do own the following: Sony Playstation 2 (since it came out), Sony Playstation Portible, Microsoft Xbox (won it at a Maintance Squadron Christmas party in 2002), Nintendo GameCube (for Super Smash Bros Melee and the remake of Metal Gear Solid), and every older game system (except for the Sega Saturn).
            Do you have a Dreamcast? I wish I'd never sold mine. In fact I wouldn't be writing in this thread if I hadn't sold my PS2 in the past, like always though, needed the money! D'oh. Must of been nice to win an Xbox! Nice xmas present, I guess you're in the USAF? Sounds like you've had a lot of fun over the years.

Originally posted by Eternal-Souljah
            I have to admit your right, the PC games coming out lately aren't all that amazingly ''omg I have to get that'' but Prey was good, but the rest haven't drawn my attention.

I have a PS2, PSP. Used to have an XBOX and have played a XBOX 360, the X360 graphics are amazing, but since I played it on an HD TV, it looks alot better.
            Yeah Prey seemed good, I was going to buy it, but like you say that "omg I have to get that" feeling wasn't there and I just didn't bother. Right well, you're the second person saying the 360 looks better on a HDTV, so I guess I won't go with that then. I tend to prefer the PS3 for a next-gen console, although I doubt I can afford it on release.

Originally posted by TehFunk
            I say definately go with the psp. From my standpoint, the psp is not just a portable console, but a well made media device as well. It probably has better media capapbilities then the 360. You can put any music, photos, videos, game demos, save files from the internet on the memory stick and your good to go! And Sony is always coming out with new firmware updates so you never know whats coming. The last update allows you to now download game demos off the internet browser. Plus there is a great variety of umd video. I myself own Team Areica: World Police, some South Park, Dave Chapelle Season 1, and Family Guy Seasons 1 and 2. You can also put individual episodes of say, The Simpsons on the memory stick if you downloadded them off Limewire. You just need a shareware program called PSPVideo 9, and it does everything for you. And as for games, sure there might not be a whole lot, but look into the future. There are many AAA titles coming by 1 quarter next year, so well just have to wait. Although the 1 game im looking forward to keeps getting delayed (Grand Turismo) Some good games out now are Grand Theft Auto: LIberty City Stories (amazingly well made and takes a long time), Socom: Fire Team Bravo (great for multiplayer), Daxter (graphics and gameplay of a ps2 game), and Burnout: Legends (great racing game with large variety of songs and cars). So obviously i say go with the psp. By the end of this year, sony is supposively going to realease a gps unit and a webcam for the usb port. That should be pretty cool. And the nicest thing about the psp is that its portable. Whens the last time you heard about some one bringing along their xbox to play on an airplane?
            Hmm, it does sound good, but I dunno, maybe next year when the price comes down after PS3, and these good games and new features come out I'll give it another look. I don't think it's for me at this time.

Ah forgot to say, I don't have a DVD player since moving out, so the PS2 would be nice for that. Does the more recent 'slim' PS2 play CDR videos? DivX or anything like that?

Comment

Wow, I'd love to visit Japan! Was it nice there? I can't see myself doing that much traveling to be honest, maybe someday
              Japan was pretty nice, was able to go to Hiroshima for spring break this year before I left, with my fiancee, it was a great place, got over a 1000 pictures and had a really good time there. I love traveling.

Yep, our main movie/game rental store is still Blockbuster. Well I don't have a HDTV, but one thing I was shocked at, is how expensive console games are! Xbox 360 games are nearly all £40! Now as a PC gamer, I'm used to spending maybe £25 on a new release, and then the price drops considerably after a while, there's always bargains around. Another reason I'm agreeing on the PS2 idea, because it's an 'old' system, there is plenty of platinum games and many deals on games, also new releases seem cheaper.
              Wow, thats insane, yeah I'd have to say wait a little while for the Xbox 360, maybe when the PS3 is out it'll drop in price. $75 USD for a game is pretty rediculous (sp?), I think here 360 games are $55 USD (about £30). The PS2 is a good choice, and has some pretty fun games (MGS 3, the Ace Combat Games (4-6), SOCOM 1-3, etc).

Do you have a Dreamcast? I wish I'd never sold mine. In fact I wouldn't be writing in this thread if I hadn't sold my PS2 in the past, like always though, needed the money! D'oh. Must of been nice to win an Xbox! Nice xmas present, I guess you're in the USAF? Sounds like you've had a lot of fun over the years.
              Actually, I do have a dreamcast, I forgot about it. Only have a few games for it though, got it at the Thirft Store onbase for about $5 USD and about five games for $2 USD. Don't even remember the games that I have for it, I'll have to look here when my shipment gets in...

The Xbox was nice, up until that point I didn't even think about wanting one, but when I won it, it surprised the hell out of me. Next day I went out and bought Halo and had a fun time playing that. Now, I'm glad I own it because two games that were released last year: Greg Hasting's Tournament Paintball & GHTP Max'd, I'm a big paintballer and those games are a hell of alot of fun, specially when the weather is bad here and I can't go play.

Actually, its my dad who is USAF, I'm only 18 now, going to college here in the states. I was overseas, however, for the past 14 years (10 in Europe, and 4 in Japan). I loved being in Europe, can't wait to go back. Japan was nice too, but Europe was better, imo.

Comment

The PS2 is a good choice, and has some pretty fun games (MGS 3, the Ace Combat Games (4-6), SOCOM 1-3, etc).
                Yeah, but the funny thing is, by the end of this year, at least one game from each of those franchises will be out for the psp. 2 socom games, 1 ace combat game, and 3 MGS games( the next MGS will not be a card game like the acids)

Comment

Right, thats why I said in my first post that the PSP is what he should buy, the PS2 would be the next best buy for him.

Comment

Japan was pretty nice, was able to go to Hiroshima for spring break this year before I left, with my fiancee, it was a great place, got over a 1000 pictures and had a really good time there. I love traveling.
                    Sweet, did you learn any Japanese, I guess you must of? Definitely on my wish-list of places to visit, along with New York and some others.

Wow, thats insane, yeah I'd have to say wait a little while for the Xbox 360, maybe when the PS3 is out it'll drop in price. $75 USD for a game is pretty rediculous (sp?), I think here 360 games are $55 USD (about £30). The PS2 is a good choice, and has some pretty fun games (MGS 3, the Ace Combat Games (4-6), SOCOM 1-3, etc).
                    For a second there, I thought I got it wrong by your reaction. So I checked, and yeah, the games are £39.99, and the SSP price is £49.99! You can see here, http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...platform=XB360 , I can't justify that sort of price, I'd only be able to afford a couple of games.

Actually, I do have a dreamcast, I forgot about it. Only have a few games for it though, got it at the Thirft Store onbase for about $5 USD and about five games for $2 USD. Don't even remember the games that I have for it, I'll have to look here when my shipment gets in...

The Xbox was nice, up until that point I didn't even think about wanting one, but when I won it, it surprised the hell out of me. Next day I went out and bought Halo and had a fun time playing that. Now, I'm glad I own it because two games that were released last year: Greg Hasting's Tournament Paintball & GHTP Max'd, I'm a big paintballer and those games are a hell of alot of fun, specially when the weather is bad here and I can't go play.

Actually, its my dad who is USAF, I'm only 18 now, going to college here in the states. I was overseas, however, for the past 14 years (10 in Europe, and 4 in Japan). I loved being in Europe, can't wait to go back. Japan was nice too, but Europe was better, imo.
                    Did you play Shenmue on the DC? Definitely worth a look even now, it was an amazing RPG/action/adventure game, one of my all time favorites.

Where is Europe were you based? I hear a lot of European countries are very nice, some that you would not initially think to go on holiday to for example. Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark etc, seem to be hearing only good things about.

Originally posted by TehFunk

The PS2 is a good choice, and has some pretty fun games (MGS 3, the Ace Combat Games (4-6), SOCOM 1-3, etc).
                    Yeah, but the funny thing is, by the end of this year, at least one game from each of those franchises will be out for the psp. 2 socom games, 1 ace combat game, and 3 MGS games( the next MGS will not be a card game like the acids)
                    I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a PSP, I think the times not right. I will wait til the end of the year, by which time the PS3 is out, maybe prices will have dropped. Thing is, I've been looking at all the PS2 games, and there is soo many I want to play! Not only that, but half of them, are platinum or just cheap, so I planning on getting 4 or 5 when I get the PS2. I am thinking along the lines of Resident Evil 4, The Shadow of the Colossus, GTA: San Andreas, Dynasty Warriors 5, maybe something a bit light hearted, like Smash Court Tennis for fun.

Edit: Forgot to ask, what do I need to get the PS2 online? It says I need an ethernet modem, I guess that's a standard broadband modem with ethernet sockets in the back? Well I don't have one of those, but of course I have a ethernet connection on my motherboard, could it connect through my computer, and it's broadband modem?

Comment

could it connect through my computer, and it's broadband modem?
                      Yes that is how I used to connect to PS2 Online, you have to purchase a Network adapter (unless your getting the slim-line PS2), I picked mine up for about £30.

Comment

I am now a proud owner of a silver slim-PS2

Got a pretty good deal at Woolworths, £104, and four games. Not the best games, but still something to play until I order the ones I want from Gameplay. Only thing is I forgot the memory card, so I won't really play until I get that and can save my progress.

Originally posted by EAGLE_18
                        Yes that is how I used to connect to PS2 Online, you have to purchase a Network adapter (unless your getting the slim-line PS2), I picked mine up for about £30.
                        Ah right, excellent. Is there any software I need to download, or does it automatically detect and sort itself out? Fortunately I have an ethernet cable lying around too! Good stuff.

Comment

I am now a proud owner of a silver slim-PS2

Got a pretty good deal at Woolworths, £104, and four games. Not the best games, but still something to play until I order the ones I want from Gameplay.
                          Congrats, I think you made the best decision with your needs and the options you had.

Only thing is I forgot the memory card, so I won't really play until I get that and can save my progress.

Ah right, excellent. Is there any software I need to download, or does it automatically detect and sort itself out? Fortunately I have an ethernet cable lying around too! Good stuff
                          Software is needed, I would imagine that it would have come with the console, its in small DVD style box named "Networks Access Disk" has the Central Station logo plastered all over it. if you don't have on go here Go Network Gaming--> What you need for network gaming and it should be all down there.

You'll need a memory card so that you can save your connection information.

For online I'd recommend the SOCOM series I've played the first, personally owned the second and looking into buying the third great game and lots of fun.

Comment

Sweet, did you learn any Japanese, I guess you must of? Definitely on my wish-list of places to visit, along with New York and some others.
                            I picked up a little, not much, its a pretty difficult language to learn.

For a second there, I thought I got it wrong by your reaction. So I checked, and yeah, the games are £39.99, and the SSP price is £49.99! You can see here, http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...platform=XB360 , I can't justify that sort of price, I'd only be able to afford a couple of games.
                            Yeah I wouldn't be able to either, hell I can't even really justify buying a 360 because I don't feel that there are good enough games out there right now for me to buy the system, some games and also a new TV that has HDTV.

Did you play Shenmue on the DC? Definitely worth a look even now, it was an amazing RPG/action/adventure game, one of my all time favorites.

Where is Europe were you based? I hear a lot of European countries are very nice, some that you would not initially think to go on holiday to for example. Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark etc, seem to be hearing only good things about.
                            I've played it, but I don't own it. I'll probably look around at the game stores here and see if I can find a used copy, theres a EB Games and a Game Stop close by.

I spent 3 years at Naples, Italy (dad was at AFSOUTH), 5 years at Spangdalhem AFB, Germany, and 2 years at Kliene Brogel AFB, Belgium. I loved all three places, and loved Europe in general because of all the great sights, the history and how easy it is to travel there. (In Japan, from Misawa to Tokyo, it would cost about $150 in Tolls). My girlfriend and I are planning on going back to Europe to live.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a PSP, I think the times not right. I will wait til the end of the year, by which time the PS3 is out, maybe prices will have dropped. Thing is, I've been looking at all the PS2 games, and there is soo many I want to play! Not only that, but half of them, are platinum or just cheap, so I planning on getting 4 or 5 when I get the PS2. I am thinking along the lines of Resident Evil 4, The Shadow of the Colossus, GTA: San Andreas, Dynasty Warriors 5, maybe something a bit light hearted, like Smash Court Tennis for fun.
                            I'd defiantly recommend that you pick up all the SOCOM games, they're loads of fun. And if you like flight-sims, the Ace Combat series, while not extremely realistic, are fun and looking pretty outstanding. You HAVE to get Metal Gear Solid 3, that is probably one of the best games on the PS2. Luckily, you picked the right time to get one, as (as you said) many of the games are platinum and/or are fairly cheap in price.

Comment

Working...
                            X