Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody play with an Radeon X800XT??

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...uct_uid=100178

My brother recently got one of these and there seems to be a serious heat problem with it. Admittedly it's not in the best place in his case - it's close to the bottom with the fan facing down! But still, even after taking the side of the case off and having a desktop fan blowing right at it, he still get's artifacts when playing BF2. To be precise, the textures of objects like guns stretch off into infinite.

I was just wondering if anybody else can shed any light on this? Whether anybody has experienced this sort of thing with this or even another similar graphics card.

He has the latest Catalyst drivers too, but this didn't seem to help.

Re: Anybody play with an Radeon X800XT??

Have you tried re-seating the cooler on it? These cards are supposed to run cooler than nVidia 6800 series cards.

Comment

Or you could buy a new case with better cooling. What kind of case do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by mikelar10
        http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...uct_uid=100178

My brother recently got one of these and there seems to be a serious heat problem with it. Admittedly it's not in the best place in his case - it's close to the bottom with the fan facing down! But still, even after taking the side of the case off and having a desktop fan blowing right at it, he still get's artifacts when playing BF2. To be precise, the textures of objects like guns stretch off into infinite.
        what is his motherboard, i thought most pci-e slots were the 1st slot at the top of the board?

Comment

Hi guys,

Firstly, no we haven't tried re-seating the cooler on it. Does that just involve trying to re-place the cards own fan in a better position i.e. closer to the card?

Ideally, a better case would be the best option but I'd rather not fork out another £50+ AND have the hassle of moving everything over to the new case just for the card alone! His case right now is a pretty bad compaq case.

Here is the motherboard for his computer Scinto:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...dlc=en&lang=en

Sorry I don't think I made it very clear in my first post, there is SOME space from the bottom of his case, just not very much. As you say, the PCIe slot is the first of the PCI slots but they're very close to the bottom....! Fortunately he doesn't have anything in those other PCI slots so the card has some breathing room....which isn't enough anyway, apparently.

Comment

Yes, reseating it is removing the cooler and religning it. I'd put some better thermal paste on while I was doing it. Or you could get a better cooler for about 15 pounds or less.

Comment

has artifacting just started happening to the x800xt

the hot weather we have been getting might be a lot to do with this

firstly do you have any tempreture sensor/thernomiter to check the tempreture in the case

how many case fans do you have and just check that the fan is actually spinning (graphics fan failure happens alot)

you might also want to buy a third party cooler to replace your old fan zalman fans and Arctic cooling are both good

Comment

Working...
              X