New System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New System

Guys am a complete NOOB, and looking to buy a laptop to run BF2 on as have moved and not going to have a PC........any ideas on good ones to get, what to look out for etc. Thinking of Dell XPS.

Any help would be much appreciated.

CL

Re: New System

I have the XPS M1210. Even with the dedeciated go 7400, it has to play on mostly all low, and looks pretty cruddy. You wanna go with something that at least has a go 7600 or above, like the XPS 1710.

Im sure you may have already decided, but a desktop will certainly give you more bang for the buck when trying to game.

This thread probably should go in Tech Center.

Comment

i have this one; http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1862 Have never had a problem playing games on it and BF2 plays extremely well. Was £1200 when i got it, not sure of price now. 17" screen gives a excellent viewing space and screen glare reduced due to Onyx screen. It come with 1gb of memory as standard but i upgraded to 2gb which definitely helps

Comment

I just purchased a Dell XPS 1710 which has an Intel Duo Processor (2.16 GHz/667 MHz FSB), 2GB Dual Channel DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX, 100 GB SATA HDD. BF2 is no problem for it. Not cheap though...costs just under $3500.

Comment

I have the XPS M1710, it rocks!

I'm a french student and i'm now for three months in China, i'm so happy to have my XPS here: i can play bf2 in China woot, but university here has 56k lol, i can still play solo ^^

Its the best gaming laptop anyway, i can play oblivion in 1920x1200 with HDR and high settings.
          BF2 runs perfectly, i have the same config as jlspence

Comment

when your buying dell XPS's, just watch out for one thing, they usually come bundled with lots of BS software that does nothing other than take up memory and slow down your machine. make sure you remove this to get the best performance.

if your getting a gaming latop, i'd try go alienware, very expensive though. or get go sony/samsung, just make sure it has dedicated Nvidia Go 7900 or 7600 if your a little shy on cash.

Comment

Cheers for the help guys, will probably go with the xps even though its a 56k modem as standard (gonna have to upgrade).

The new place i'm moving to is wireless, anybody else play on this.

As i said I put the new in NOOB, used be a atari, PSI, SNES guy when younger some of this new stuff sure confuses.

BF2 is unreal for pure playability kinda reminds me a bit of the tourneys we used run on the old game consoles xcept everyones thousands of miles away.

CL

Comment

I have the XPS Gen2 and it kicks ***. I play BF2 with all settings maxed out and its butter!

Comment

My rig is in my sig, and it works quite well with some settings on medium, some on high. sagers in general are quality products, and usually cheaper than similar systems. notebookforums.com is a good source for notebook info (hope it's not stepping on anyone's toes to link to another forum in here).

Comment

Originally posted by jlspence
                    I just purchased a Dell XPS 1710 which has an Intel Duo Processor (2.16 GHz/667 MHz FSB), 2GB Dual Channel DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX, 100 GB SATA HDD. BF2 is no problem for it. Not cheap though...costs just under $3500.
                    WOW!! :salute:

Comment

Working...
                    X