Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the code for setting Punkbuster at 500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the code for setting Punkbuster at 500?

Hey there,

A few days ago BF2 has reset for some reason: everything back to default and all my favourites gone. Apart from the annoiance this gave me (searching for all the good servers, etc.), I experience more lag now than before this happened. One reason might be, that I had changed the time after which Punkbuster does it's check (this is legal). Now I don't know how to do that anymore, had something to do with "pb_sleep500"? Can't find it anywhere, can someone help me?

Thanks!

Re: What was the code for setting Punkbuster at 500?

Yes, that's it.

PB_Sleep [Period]

60 is typically the default. It's the time in milliseconds punkbuster sleeps between processing cycles. The larger the number the less bandwidth PB will use.

Comment

This setting was not recommended.

This was from a conversation I had with Stuart Dunsmore, an Evenbalance employee. And this is what he had to say about pb_sleep 500:

"Stuart Dunsmore"
      Note #5: Try pb_sleep 20, by speeding up PB, you will likely increase FPS. See, PB still does the same amount of scanning in the same time period. sleep 500 just means it does it in bigger clumps. This was originally designed for 98 and other poor multi-tasking OS's. XP, especially a P4 with HT would benifit from pb running faster, but doing less. You will get at least a more even FPS.

Comment

Hmmm...here's what the Punkbuster for BF2 manual says in the Commands section.

PB_Sleep [Period]
        Holds the period of time (milliseconds) that PunkBuster "sleeps" between processing cycles; the default is 60; lower numbers will cause PunkBuster to process events more times each second which also has the effect of increasing the bandwidth used by PunkBuster; Players with a modem connection will probably want to set this as high as possible.

The way I read that, it's inconsistent with what you were told.

Comment

pb_sleep ###

then

pb_writecfg

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
            pb_sleep ###

then

pb_writecfg
            Aye. I was gonna say, the sleep command is fairly worthless if you don't use the pb_writecfg command to save it. You really don't want to have to manually enter your sleepcycle every time you fire up the game!

As for preformance issues, I set mine to 200. This allows for a packet drop to occur without PB booting me. I believe that the max tolerance is 600. If PB doesn't get communication in 600ms, it's gonna think you're up to something and disconnect you. Using a sleep of 500ms means that if you should happen to lose packets at the wrong time, yer gonna get kicked.

Really not sure about that tolerance figure tho.
            I've noticed a slight improvement in preformance.

Comment

Originally posted by jlspence
              Hmmm...here's what the Punkbuster for BF2 manual says in the Commands section.

PB_Sleep [Period]
              Holds the period of time (milliseconds) that PunkBuster "sleeps" between processing cycles; the default is 60; lower numbers will cause PunkBuster to process events more times each second which also has the effect of increasing the bandwidth used by PunkBuster; Players with a modem connection will probably want to set this as high as possible.

The way I read that, it's inconsistent with what you were told.

Are you using a modem...?
              No imho it is not inconsistent to what I was told.

But hey, I was just giving you the heads-up. Whatever you do with this info is your own business. But I am sure that if you ask any evenbalance employee they will confirm what Stuart told me.
              He is not the only person that told me this, but the only one of which I have kept written "evidence".

Comment

500 is the max sleep setting you can use

Comment

I tried that, but then my PC went nuts...it seemed like when I set it to 500, it scanned even more! Do you have to get used to it or something?

Comment

It does scan much bigger chunks at a lower interval... That's all pb_sleep 500 really does.
                    Which in turn means that while pb is not scanning you might have a bit more fps, but then when pb reaches the point where it does the check it will be a much larger amount of data that pb will have to process. So in turn your FPS will go sub levels until the check is done.
                    If pb_sleep is set at default values it will do regular check on small files giving you much more consistent fps.
                    That's why your PC went nuts...

Comment

Working...
                    X