Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Hey I was just wondering if there is an update for this graphics card, I need to update my card because I believe it is causing bf2 crash and all sorts of other problems. I will post my specs later if needed, thanks

Re: Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Drivers?

I would consider spending $100-$150 to upgrade that thing.

As in a new card.

Comment

Uninstall your old drivers from the add or remove programs list, restart, install these: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1353

Your card is the worst possible card that is still officialy supported, so I also recommend you get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatseeker_no.1

Your card is the worst possible
        You don't have to tell me that :laugh: Hopefully I'm getting a new card soon, thanks for the help guys.

Comment

A couple things you should do because that card has been outdated since it was released: flash to FX5500, grab some performance enhancing (quality costing) drivers.

Comment

Tut for better performance with an FX 5200

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
            1) Even if you have a killer card, I still recommend downloading a program called "GAMEXP" and let it run. Be sure to set up a restore point in case something goes wrong. This program basically shuts down a bunch of services and excess programs that is running in your background and aren't really necessary, but since it depends on what kind of person you are and what you do with your computer, better make a restore point.

2) After you run GameXP, I would download TuneXP and visit this site http://gear.ign.com/articles/626/626714p5.html and just follow the instructions. This will free up some more RAM and undo some of the settings that were put down by GameXP. Even if you already have TuneXP, I found that GameXP had set up some unwanted settings in TuneXP, so I just reverted them using TuneXP again. (but that's just me).

3) Download a tweaked driver. There really isnt much difference, but I've been really happy with the Z-Tweaked 82.12 Drivers with my 5200.

4) The biggest FPS gain is with this tweak and it might already be in effect with your system, but most likely not. The thing about this game is that it can use both 1.4 Pixel Shaders and 2.0 Pixel Shaders and the 5200 supports both, but it has really crappy performance with the 2.0 Pixel Shaders and for some reason, it uses the 1.4 shaders in the demo, but uses the 2.0 shaders in the real game, which kills your fps. So this tweak is basically, force 1.4 shaders on your video card.
            The game might look worse, but there isn't much difference. Look HERE.
            Note if your dome in Mastuur City looks shiny, this tweak will get rid of that shinyness for a fps boost.
            You will need a program called RivaTuner and bascially click on the button next to the word Customize:
            A set of buttons will appear , so click the button with a big green X on it (second from the left)
            Click on the shaders tab and on the drop down menu next to "Override pixel shader version" and select force 1.4. This reboot and this tweak is done
            SOME NOTES: This tweak might interfere with other games, but u can always revert it back safely. It will cause the in-game loading to say "Optimizing Shaders" so before starting the game, delete your cache files located in:
            C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME \My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\{D7B71E3E-4062-11CF-7A53-B32100C2CB35}_2878_1
            If you use 3dMark03, you will get a very low score since it will not be able to run all the tests since the you arent using 2.0 shaders, but it will help.
            I repeat: The game might look worse, but there isn't much difference. Look HERE.

5) Now that you have RivaTuner, go back to where you were forcing the shaders and now click on the VSYNC tab. Put the prerender limit to 0 and make sure that VSYNC is off since it doesn't do much except take away from FPS.

6) Overclocking. Not really recommended and I haven't seen a big difference, but you could always try a lil bit. I have mine clocked default at 250Mhz and 400Mhz memory speed and i overclocked it to 266Mhz for core and 424Mhz for memory speed.
            Warning: Can cause major damage and by doing so, you are violating your warranty with the video card.

7) Almost forgot this one. AGP Aperture. This is still a bit confusing for me, but I know that with a 128mb video card, you should set it to 256mb. How to set it? First you must access your BIOS which is a little bit different for each motherboard/company, but basically look for something that says "Hit F2 to enter BIOS or SETUP". And then look around for AGP aperture. (As you can see I'm not 100% clear on this, so I'll look more into it later) This sortof made my game a lot less stuttering so I recommend looking for this.

That's about it for now. If you have any comments/questions/suggestions please e-mail me at conscriptvirus@gmail.com

Comment

trust me u cant improve this card...it works but with lag,low setting,glitching.

Comment

The above guide would help, although most of what it suggests will lower image quality in game and functionality in windows.

I wouldn't flash the bios like I made you suggests, volt modding is probably the no.1 way to kill a card, especially if you don't know anything about it. Plus, if you break your card, it is unlikely you will be able to flash it with the old bios - i.e. you won't get away with rma-ing it. However, it might be fun to try if you know you will be upgrading soon, and don't want to keep the old card.

With overclocking, I would recommend it, if you know what you are doing. If you do somehow manage to break your card you can always revert to stock speeds and they will never know when you rma it

Comment

Originally posted by Heatseeker_no.1
                  The above guide would help, although most of what it suggests will lower image quality in game and functionality in windows.

I wouldn't flash the bios like I made you suggests, volt modding is probably the no.1 way to kill a card, especially if you don't know anything about it. Plus, if you break your card, it is unlikely you will be able to flash it with the old bios - i.e. you won't get away with rma-ing it. However, it might be fun to try if you know you will be upgrading soon, and don't want to keep the old card.

With overclocking, I would recommend it, if you know what you are doing. If you do somehow manage to break your card you can always revert to stock speeds and they will never know when you rma it
                  Flashing the bios just automatically overclocks the card to an FX5500. It's perfectly safe and easy, and you can reflash an old bios if you **** it up. Even if you somehow send the card to the grave, it's a FX5200. You can get a 6600 for under $70. Good riddance!

Comment

As I said, it changes the voltage, as well as bringing the core and memory frequencys up to default 5500 speeds. However, the cooling and chip weren't designed to be run to those tolerances (otherwise they would flash it at the factory and sell it as a 5500). It is not "perfectly safe and easy", i've heard of many people breaking their cards by flashing their bios.

But as you say, its a good way of getting rid of it, and you might even get a free 5500 out of it at the end

Comment

Working...
                    X