Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limit the number of times you can be commander in a row?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit the number of times you can be commander in a row?

I'm sick of having to suffer through some ultra-lame commander who, because of his higher rank (which doesn't mean he's very good, just that he's played more than some) monopolizes the commander position. These guys usually run around trying to fight and command at the same time, not very effectively I might add. Your requests as squad leader go unanswered and your team almost always loses because of the awful commanding. This happens a lot of servers that play the same map more than once or twice.

I'm sure some of you have had this experience so I ask, do you think the commander position should be limited to two or three times per round?

Re: Limit the number of times you can be commander in a row?

nah, what if its a good commander?

Comment

Originally posted by venny
      nah, what if its a good commander?
      In my experience they rarely are, and what about this novel concept, the concept of sharing?

Comment

I voted no. I understand your concern though. How can someone play the game long enough to achieve a high rank yet still not understand that once they are Commander, they can get absolutely NO POINTS for doing anything except commanding?

That's right - for those that may read this and still haven't gotten it yet - once you are Commander - you get ZERO POINTS for kills, flag caps, revives, heals, resupplies, etc.

However, I don't think a good Commander should be penalized with "term limits" to make up for the 'tards. There's already too much of that going in in this game as it is.

Comment

This would limit those who choose to be commander because no one else has taken it. It would suck if no one took it and the one person that was willing to play it couldn't. I played as commander 6 times in a row, not because I really wanted to, but because no one else was and we kept getting slaughtered. While being commander I won 5 of the 6 rounds. I am not big on being commander but they are needed.

If he is not doing a good job, then ask him to resign or start a vote against him. But be sure that he is NOT doing a good job before starting it. Limiting the # of times one can be commander is not going to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_05_TL_6sd
            This would limit those who choose to be commander because no one else has taken it.
            Oh please, that rarely happens where no one will command. Usually people will take over if someone isn't commander and it's brought to the entire team's attention. I don't think I have ever been on a team the entire round where there wasn't a commander.

If he is not doing a good job, then ask him to resign or start a vote against him.
            LOL, good one. Those lame kick votes never work because most people have that option turned off or couldn't care less. And asking a smacktard to resign is like asking a drunkard not to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by motorboatJones
              LOL, good one. Those lame kick votes never work because most people have that option turned off or couldn't care less. And asking a smacktard to resign is like asking a drunkard not to drink.
              lol smacktard i like that, i am a lame commander but i do it to get points same as most commanders, its a shame about the rank thing but meh, i suggest you get gaming and get a higher rank.

Comment

Originally posted by motorboatJones
                Oh please, that rarely happens where no one will command. Usually people will take over if someone isn't commander and it's brought to the entire team's attention. I don't think I have ever been on a team the entire round where there wasn't a commander.

If this is you then I can see why you would complain 45659871. http://www.bf2player.com/index.php?p...871&show=all-e

It looks like you only ever play on either one map, or one server. That might be your problem. I have the same rank and have no problem with being commander on 64 player servers. It looks like you yourself are one to use a tank or plane while being a Commander! As an infantry man this stats are horrible. No gun with a 1:1 ratio!! You have spent some time as a commander so what are you complaining about? You have one night when you are unable to be commander and you get mad. Try a different server or even a different map, maybe you can get away from the smacktards that way.

But to bring up the idea that it should be limited to one round is just stupid, as what you see as a smacktard, other may see as a good commander.

Comment

Yea, most commanders won't voluntairly resign. Asking them to resign is in affect insulting thier commanding ability. Even if they do suck, they're gonna take it as an insult and not resign, usually.

I have seen successful mutinies. Its rare though.

My suggestion, is if this happens over and over again to you, just find another server. I have my War College Ribbon, and this were in affect, it'd take even longer to get.

Comment

How about just a better vote system...........the current one blows.

Comment

Commander is a position I have recently just started playing, mostly because I suck at every other aspect of the game and I'm not so sure I'm that great of a commander either. I never drive or fly. In fact, hardly ever come out of the commander screen. Not so sure this a good thing but, I usually finish the rounds 0-0 unless I happen to catch a spec ops trying to blow up assests ect...

But, not really knowing what proper protocol is, if I have commanded 2 rounds, at the start of the 3rd round I'll apply. If another higher ranking player has not assumed the position, I'll accept, and then the first thing I do is ask the team I'm on if anybody else wants it/do I suck should I resign.

I figure that way, if a lower ranking player wants to command, they will have the opportunity. Or, if I sucked, everybody can tell me and I'll resign with no hard feelings. I have had the first one happen but thank goodness, not the second (yet anyway).

I voted no on the poll because I really like commanding and I'd hate to not be able to just because I've already commanded a certain number of rounds.

Comment

Here's an interesting twist on the situation....

Say you're playing on your favorite map and you have a commander who is completely worthless. But, because of their high rank, no one else can get the position. They assume the commander position round after round regardless of whether or not your team is winning. Yet they never place UAV, supplies, etc. for the duration of the round. In fact, they may even show up as "dead" in the play list screen. For all we know, he could be off eating a sandwich (in reference to what you said in TS, motorboat).

The team attempts a mutiny against the commander but can't get enough votes (either because people ignore the vote prompt or have voting disabled in their options applet). For each round (or maybe number of times a mutiny occurs), that player fills the commander seat, the required number of votes decreases. On a 64 player server, the initial vote might require 30 votes. Then 28, 26, 24, 22, and so on.

Sure, that system may be open to abuse - but if a commander is actually doing his job, he would probably not have to worry about mutinies against him.

I've had to deal with "deadbeat" commanders on more occasions than I care to admit. Most of them seem to only be in it for the x2 bonus if their team wins and they just sit AFK the entire round.

Comment

Originally posted by oysdad
                          Commander is a position I have recently just started playing, mostly because I suck at every other aspect of the game and I'm not so sure I'm that great of a commander either. I never drive or fly. In fact, hardly ever come out of the commander screen. Not so sure this a good thing but, I usually finish the rounds 0-0 unless I happen to catch a spec ops trying to blow up assests ect...

But, not really knowing what proper protocol is, if I have commanded 2 rounds, at the start of the 3rd round I'll apply. If another higher ranking player has not assumed the position, I'll accept, and then the first thing I do is ask the team I'm on if anybody else wants it/do I suck should I resign.

I figure that way, if a lower ranking player wants to command, they will have the opportunity. Or, if I sucked, everybody can tell me and I'll resign with no hard feelings. I have had the first one happen but thank goodness, not the second (yet anyway).

I voted no on the poll because I really like commanding and I'd hate to not be able to just because I've already commanded a certain number of rounds.
                          You seem like a reasonabhle person so I'm a bit surprised you can't see the merits of limiting command. You are not exactly denied the chance to command if you've already commanded three times, yeah? You've had your turn, now it's time to let someone else have a go at it. If you could never command because someone with higher rank kept getting command over and over (the current system) then you might appreciate more a command limit. So you can't command for two or three rounds, which is after you have already commanded two or three rounds. You'll get your chance to command again in due time. It's not a complicated concept, and it's one I think is fair to all involved. For a game that emphasises team play the present system that allows command whoring is kind of ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by The Soup Nazi
                            The team attempts a mutiny against the commander but can't get enough votes (either because people ignore the vote prompt or have voting disabled in their options applet). For each round (or maybe number of times a mutiny occurs), that player fills the commander seat, the required number of votes decreases. On a 64 player server, the initial vote might require 30 votes. Then 28, 26, 24, 22, and so on.
                            i like this idea but it should start out at around 20 (32 players per team, not 64) and go down to 12 in increments of 2, but no lower, as if it did and a small group of people kept mutinying while the majority of the team likes the commander eventually the minority would win out which is bs. 12/32 is kinda arbitrary, what does everyone else think

Comment

Exactly. There would be a floor that would equal a set percentage of the teamsize so that it couldn't go below that. On a 64 player server, 12 would probably be sufficient.

@ motorboatjones

I wish there was a server-side option that admins could choose to limit the number of times a player can command in a row. Admins could choose to disable it altogether or enable it to make the position more accessible to other players.

Comment

Working...
                              X