Calling all Aussies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Aussies!

Okay so here’s the deal, I’m from Canada and have been traveling with my Australian girlfriend and we’ve finally decided to move to Australia. I’ll be moving to Melbourne in December and I’d like to know what gaming is like down there.

Does pretty much everyone speak English? How many servers to you all pull up when searching? Are you able to play on UK servers or North American ones with any reasonable ping or are you stuck with Australia and New Zealand? I suppose you could play on asian ones but then the language becomes an issue which is why I play on UK servers only even though I’m in the Netherlands.

Recently I’ve gotten into a great clan (if my trial goes well) which is democratic in nature and everyone pitches in on the server. I think this is fantastic and have never played with such a great group of people. Are there many clans set up like this in Australia?

Tell me what it’s like if you would.

Also, if any of you skate let me know about that too. Maybe that should be a PM though otherwise I’ve posted in the wrong spot.

Re: Calling all Aussies!

You're asking if Australians speak English? lol Umm, yes?
    Do you watch movies, TV, listen to music? They sound similar to the English (from England) which I'm sure some will disagree with me. haha

You should pull up the same server list as you do in Canada. As long as you have the same filters checked. My server list consists of UK, Aus, Fr and US servers. Just look for the lowest pings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rub-UFS-
      You're asking if Australians speak English? lol Umm, yes?
      Do you watch movies, TV, listen to music? They sound similar to the English (from England) which I'm sure some will disagree with me. haha

You should pull up the same server list as you do in Canada. As long as you have the same filters checked. My server list consists of UK, Aus, Fr and US servers. Just look for the lowest pings.

I meant as in having 50 languages on one server like here in Europe. For example do you have a bunch of Thai's or something. Yes I'm aware that English is spoken in Australia. I've seen Steve Erwin and Crocodile Dundee.

So globaly people pull up around 3700 servers?

Comment

siff root our shelias
        http://www.gamearena.com.au
        It's the main one in Aussie, has a ladder for comps and such.
        We dont speak english, we speak Australian.

Gamearena, Internode, Xtra(NL) and OGN are the main sever providers.
        about 100 Bf2 severs to play on all up.
        Melbourne is a nice place, but it has the most freaky'est weather, I'll let you figure it out
        The general opinion in Australia is that Steve Erwin is a dickhead.
        Paul Hogan (croc dundee) is a legend.

Comment

Playing in UK servers = 200-300ping.
          Just play Locally.

Comment

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
            This will help with the slang terms.
            What ever you do, DONT make fun of a sport called AFL, bloody Victorians (state which melbourne is in) think of it as a relegion.
            You dont have to worry about skippy (kagaroos) in you back yard, there not pet's, but they are pests, we should start shooting them again.
            Watch out for Koala's, vicious bloody things, hoop snake's, funnel web and red back spider's and most importantly WATCH OUT FOR DROP BEARS!!!, dead set, DONT stand under trees, unless you'd like your face and head to become seperated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt_Splinter
              http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
              This will help with the slang terms.
              What ever you do, DONT make fun of a sport called AFL, bloody Victorians (state which melbourne is in) think of it as a relegion.
              You dont have to worry about skippy (kagaroos) in you back yard, there not pet's, but they are pests, we should start shooting them again.
              Watch out for Koala's, vicious bloody things, hoop snake's, funnel web and red back spider's and most importantly WATCH OUT FOR DROP BEARS!!!, dead set, DONT stand under trees, unless you'd like your face and head to become seperated.
              Australia sounds like a dangerous place. Sounds like my kind of place.

Comment

As stated the primary servers are internode and gamearea, both having about 24~ servers each. Then there are the other places that have 1-2 servers and a few NZ ones. The competetive side of the game is strong over here, alot of the public servers provide strong competition due to the large amount of clan players playing.

As far as languages go, it's probley 90% of the time all english. The only time it isn't is 2am-5am when the Chinese/Japanese invade the servers, even then from what i've heard alot of the time they still speak half decent english.
                lol @ the drop bear comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt_Splinter
                  siff root our shelias
                  http://www.gamearena.com.au
                  It's the main one in Aussie, has a ladder for comps and such.
                  We dont speak english, we speak Australian.

Gamearena, Internode, Xtra(NL) and OGN are the main sever providers.
                  about 100 Bf2 severs to play on all up.
                  Melbourne is a nice place, but it has the most freaky'est weather, I'll let you figure it out
                  The general opinion in Australia is that Steve Erwin is a dickhead.
                  Paul Hogan (croc dundee) is a legend.
                  Speak for yourself, I love Steve Erwin!

Yup, Melbourne's weather is a little odd... or as they say '4 seasons in one day'.

Stick to Gamearena and Internode servers and you will never be lonely. ('cept if you like EF)

Comment

Originally posted by Luftwaffe989
                    Australia sounds like a dangerous place
                    uhh....yeah, sounds like

Comment

i liv in nz and only play on gamearena and internode. you could see me on gamearena nd internode wake prbly all the time

Comment

Oh, you're moving to Melbourne? Don't go swimming without a wetsuit, unless you don't want to keep your wedding tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephphatha
                          Oh, you're moving to Melbourne? Don't go swimming without a wetsuit, unless you don't want to keep your wedding tackle.
                          LMAO seriously do you have to move to Melbourne? If you want the crappiest weather Oz has to offer other than Tassie move to Melbourne otherwise move anywhere else.

Make sure when you get out here you watch the TV for the public service announcement about the drop bears and how to avoid them, this guy wasn't joking, but hey if you tell the chicks you may end up with some yourself, oh but your married, bad luck to you then.

Also if you go swimming watch out for the sharks, blue bottles (get stung by one of these and start praying), box jellyfish (same deal start praying), blue ringed octopuss (again start praying) any snake you see or worse the ones you don't and get bitten by again (start praying)

Coming from Canada you will like our beer though, none of that weak as piss American beer.

To answer your question like everyone has said GameArena and Internode are the servers to play on. GA has no rules and has all the Internode rejects and Internode has a no attacking uncaps rule. If you play on Internode checkout there rules 1st or expect to be banned.

Comment

I'm from Melbourne and I second the notion that we have the worst weather in Australia

As stated, GameArena and Internode are well known servers.

Comment

Mate, your comin to the best place in the world, n i know, i been right the way round. you'll love real footy once you learn the rules, like someone said if you make fun of AFL in melbourne you will be transported to england for the term of ones natural life! :laugh:

GA are always populated, Internode is as well. Never try playing US or UK, they're just too far away. the kiwis have got a few decent servers set up which is nice. ranked, there isnt as many private clan servers, but thats not an issue.

and yes, watch the drop bears, they will literally tear your face from your head.

almost forgot, pronounciation guide:

its ostraya or ustraya, not os-tray-lee-ya
                              its e-mew, not e-moo
                              brizzy not brisbane
                              croc not alligator

if you pronounce things wrong, people will be laughing. at you. not with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X