Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insane Page File usage...

Hi there,

Has anyone had any problems with BF2 giving extremely high Page File usage? Lately, the second round of a BF2 game gets extremely laggy. At first I thought it was because of the server, but I noticed that my PF usage was at 1.5 GB.

It only seems to happen after I played a round or two. Even after I exit BF2, my PF usage is still insanely high. Anyone heard of this problem before?

P.S - I'm using the 1.3 patch - not 1.4

Re: Insane Page File usage...

how much ram do you have? DDR? i got 700+mb page file only.

Comment

Originally posted by venny
      how much ram do you have? DDR? i got 700+mb page file only.
      2GB of RAM.

Comment

I have 2GB of ram and a 3MB or so pagefile. Make sure your page file isn't fragmented. the 3MB came as a recommendation from my optomizing software Diskkeeper

Comment

Originally posted by |CBW|Simon
          I have 2GB of ram and a 3MB or so pagefile. Make sure your page file isn't fragmented. the 3MB came as a recommendation from my optomizing software Diskkeeper
          How do you defrag your Page File? I recently defragged the hard drive, but I didn't see any page file option.

Comment

its just an area of HDD space it uses

it shoul dbe set 1.5 times the amount of physical memory you have, so 2GB means 3GB, not 3MB, hope MB was a typo

Comment

Originally posted by Skwurl
              How do you defrag your Page File? I recently defragged the hard drive, but I didn't see any page file option.
              you disable the pagefile, reboot computer, defrag it, and then turn on the pagefile...that way, the pagefile gets written to a contiguous area (unless your hd is so jam-packed that there isn't 3gb of continuous space). There are also other ways to do it, like setting a virtual drive, or (my favorite) putting the pagefile on a secondary HD, so that Windows can access the program files on the primary, and the pagefile on the secondary at the same time.

Comment

hmm....i really thought that if u have 2gb of ram...u dont need pagefiling. page file is like RAM (except the memory is on ur harddisk) for like teh extra stuff like the bground processes other than the main program ur running and i read that if u have more than 512mb of ram u should disable pagefiling since it isnt necessary and 2gb is like..alot so u dont need the extra 3gb of pagefile...and ur harddrive speed is no where as fast as ur actual RAM speed so it can cause some slowdowns with pagefiling enabled

Comment

I have 2 GB or ram and still have a mad ammount of page file being used. I put it down to running every setting on high. What setting are you running?

Comment

You do need your pagefile, there are certain parts of windows which use it and refuse to go into ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
                      I have 2 GB or ram and still have a mad ammount of page file being used. I put it down to running every setting on high. What setting are you running?
                      Well, my settings are on high but I never had this problem before. It seems that after an hour of so of playing BF2, it gets insanely laggy - from my PC, not the Internet.

When I close BF2 and look at the PF, it's through the roof and refuses to go down. I'm really confused as to why it's doing this.

Comment

well mine goes upto about 1.4GB max. i have 2 gigs of ram.... but it comes back down to normal when i close BF. i thought i was the only one getting the high PF usage, but i guess not.

Comment

There are a couple of threads describing the non internet lag problem - although they don't mention the page file.

I was suffering from similar symptoms until a chap called trivial mentioned that he'd solved his problem by updating his audio codecs.

Tried it and it worked for me so might be worth a shot.

Comment

I had the problem with zonealarm pro, because it logged everything between the server and me. Can u post a picture of your task manager so we can see the program which uses the ram?

Comment

Allso another trick i found was to create a partition and put Bf2 on it . Defrag the partition then put your pagefile on the rest of that partition . Since then i havnt had ANY problems with my pagefile .When i make a change to Bf2 all i have to do is defrag that partition.

Comment

Working...
                              X