High Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Settings

Ack..stay away from Intel - they are not gaming CPUs at all. AMD leads every single test they can come up with. Conroe's 60nm technology is supposedly going to offer a speed-boost, along with other benefits such as less heat - but I'd check out some hands-on test before buying Intel for anything else than Office-applications. Heck their 965 Extreme version is at 3.73 GhZ with all the trimmings and an AMD 2,6 Ghz still kicks it's azz..lol.

Cheers :-)

Comment

Conroe is launching tonight :!

Comment

Originally posted by LahLahSr
        Ack..stay away from Intel - they are not gaming CPUs at all. AMD leads every single test they can come up with. Conroe's 60nm technology is supposedly going to offer a speed-boost, along with other benefits such as less heat - but I'd check out some hands-on test before buying Intel for anything else than Office-applications. Heck their 965 Extreme version is at 3.73 GhZ with all the trimmings and an AMD 2,6 Ghz still kicks it's azz..lol.

Cheers :-)
        Conroe, releasing tonite and which some have already received, is amazing.

Makes Athlon 64s at similar clock speeds eat dust easily

Comment

Any reviews for Conroe yet?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelWolf
            Any reviews for Conroe yet?
            Nope, all I could find was this one about your mom:
            ...gives great head, but a slight overbite that becomes annoying over time...

moving along...

the problem isn't so much that raggedy computers can't play on par with beefier ones, although using that flawed logic we'd still be stuck in the XT and VGA days, but rather that people with badass computers turn their lighting off to gain an advantage by removing shadows from the game. Shadows shouldn't be eliminated by a client side setting. At a minimum, perhaps low but not off and if someone's computer can't hack it then such is life.

Cutting edge games shouldn't and don't often cater to the lowest common denominator--they push the envelope and players upgrade to keep up. The silly thing is that my 9800pro ran dynamic shadows at low, so I don't know what you might be thinking of when you argue that people with low-end computers are being punished enough. The point is that no matter how you personally feel, something that is functional in a battlefield setting, such as, shadows and terrain, shouldn't be rendered aesthetic by penalizing those who choose to implement them.

Comment

Originally posted by sm007h
              the problem isn't so much that raggedy computers can't play on par with beefier ones, although using that flawed logic we'd still be stuck in the XT and VGA days, but rather that people with badass computers turn their lighting off to gain an advantage by removing shadows from the game. Shadows shouldn't be eliminated by a client side setting. At a minimum, perhaps low but not off and if someone's computer can't hack it then such is life.

Cutting edge games shouldn't and don't often cater to the lowest common denominator--they push the envelope and players upgrade to keep up. The silly thing is that my 9800pro ran dynamic shadows at low, so I don't know what you might be thinking of when you argue that people with low-end computers are being punished enough. The point is that no matter how you personally feel, something that is functional in a battlefield setting, such as, shadows and terrain, shouldn't be rendered aesthetic by penalizing those who choose to implement them.
              That makes sense. Incidentally, I'm still using a 9800 pro, and it does indeed run just fine with dynamic shadows at low (maybe even medium, I'd have to check). I've never thought to turn it off, even if doing so would grant me an advantage... but it does explain the times I've been picked off when I thought I was really well-hidden.

Comment

shadows for me can be an advantage at times. i've killed quite a few people on roofs by seeing their shadows on the ground. i keep mine on high. i like the game to look the best it can.

Comment

Working...
                X