Which Gives More?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Gives More?

Hey, this is a system comparison. I've been thinking about buying some upgrades to my computer, and would like to know which of the following would give me more of a boost in performance.

My system:
    Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
    Asus Deluxe AGP board.
    1 Gigabyte of Corsair DDR RAM
    Radeon 9800 XTX 256MB AGP card

What I plan to get:
    1Gigabyte of Corsair Digital DDR
    or
    Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB AGP card.

My question is, will adding one gigabyte of ram, making the total to two gigs of ram, really make a large difference? Or, would getting a new, better video card make the real difference? Also, please keep in mind that I will be using this system for BF2142 as well. Thanks.

Re: Which Gives More?

This is just me but if your going to get a new video card I wouldnt recommend getting a 2004 video card because then your already behind the "curve" I would get atleast a 7300 equivelant but dont listen to me im probally wrong.

Comment

2004 card? that card was released only a few months ago (march) and a good bang for the buck. i run all maxed settings 6 times AA with anywhere from 60 to 100 fps. 60 during major arty droppage with that card at 256 meg, (released nov 2005). thats also with 2 gigs ddr2 533 and a 2.66 clocked to 4.11 gigs tho.

Comment

get a x1900xt and another 1 gig of ram. cant go wrong.

O wait you only have AGP. I say another stick of ram because eye candy isnt really needed in this game if you are very competitive.

Comment

Get more RAM. It's a lot better for your system.

Comment

I suggest going with 2 gig of ram. Upgraded my video card to a 7900GT, was getting about 75fps with detail on high but still ran like ***, laggy and choppy like you have probably seen. Upgraded to 2 gig of ram and BF2 runs smooth as silk and load times, particularly the verifications are faster. Everything runs better in fact.

Comment

Overclock your current card and instead buy another gig of RAM, perhaps?

Comment

I would suggest switching to a PCI board. From what I understand AGP is being phased out. So in order to 'future proof' your rig, go in the direction technology is taking you.
                Another 1G of RAM absolutely makes a difference in this game. Load times are much better.
                Regarding your video card - can you run all settings on high? If so, stick w/ it and get RAM. Possibly try to OC it w/ RivaTuner. Its real simple.

If it has to be one or the other, get more RAM.

*EDIT: Oops, just saw your other thread about switching to PCI. Oh well, guess you got your advice there too.

Comment

Working...
                X