No announcement yet.

Any real advantage to positive ratios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any real advantage to positive ratios?

Is there any tangible advantage other than having a different name to your rank, or a few more badges, for having a better kill to death ratio, etc.? Does having poor performance in your early BF2 days have an impact on how good you will be later on in-game?

All that seems really important to me is total points earned. Does this make sense?

Thanks

Re: Any real advantage to positive ratios?

well I for one won't judge you on anything but what I see ingame

Comment

if you ratio is bigger than someone elses - so is your penis.

seriously though - stats mean nothing to most BF2 players.

Comment

other than too not spend 15 seconds every 2 min waiting to respawn, thats why

Comment

Originally posted by troybob
          if you ratio is bigger than someone elses - so is your penis.

seriously though - stats mean nothing to most BF2 players.
          agrees on the first point, but 50/50 on second. i think a lot of pub scrubs and even some clan players are way into points/stats. pathetic

Comment

I see them as shiny....look....shiny.....

lol some people care, some don't. Personally I don't...even if I do show them below in my sig, really I don't care about them lol

Comment

I've always played ranked because I enjoy my statistics. But not from an E-peen perspective but rather an extremely accurate measure of how well I'm doing compared to how I was previously.

For example, I'm at a 3:1 K/D with assault rifles, and then next week I'm 3.3 : 1 K/D with assault rifles and my overall SPM has increased by .25, so now I know for sure I'm kicking butt a little harder than I was last week. I like that kind of data and it adds another interesting element to the game. Consider it a competition against yourself, and others if you're in to that too.

Comment

Stats aren't meaningless, but they aren't very specific either.

I could suck real bad and play in a squad filled with the 4 best medics in BF2 and my ratios would all go up dramatically (as would my SPM). Or I could get unlucky and always end up with a team killer following me around killing me all the time.

In one former case, my stats would probably look great, my infantry K to D would be high and I would have a ton of the points. The latter it would look like I am dying all the time.

In each case, I would have the same individual skill but far different stats.

However, one who has good ratio stats usually is going to be one who works well in a team so it does say something about the player. One who has a lot of points could just be one who plays a 24/7 karkand as a supply guy or a medic for 18 hours a day.

So I will argue that the ratio stats mean MUCH more than the amount of points earned. . . points earned is more a factor of time than anything else.

And anyone who says that don't care about their stats is a liar. Sure, like me, you don't have to obsess about them, but I would be hard pressed to beleive that anyone who has played significant time doesn't peek at their stats from time to time.

Comment

The stats are just your own personal history nothing more.
                  They can not guarantee how you will perform they only show how well you have done up untill the point someone checks the stats.

Stats have their uses but they are not the final word on any subject.

Comment

Long ago I cared about some stats/badges, but since then they have made it so easy to get some of the badges anyone can get them. Now it's just site back and play for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneWhore
                      I've always played ranked because I enjoy my statistics. But not from an E-peen perspective but rather an extremely accurate measure of how well I'm doing compared to how I was previously.
                      Bingo. This is why I generally play ranked, and enjoy checking my stats periodically. I can see MASSIVE improvements compared to my first few days of playing. That's kind of fun.

Comment

better ratios = better e-penis bragging rights

Comment

the sig says it all

Comment

Originally posted by CATIA
                            agrees on the first point, but 50/50 on second. i think a lot of pub scrubs and even some clan players are way into points/stats. pathetic
                            most casual players don't care about stats. and most BF players are casual players.

Comment

It is easy to overlook the fact that there are certain battlefield roles that inherently give you worse K/D ratios than others. Obviously many have already found out that bombers can more easily give you a positive K/D ratio.

Some of the best players in my book are those who, for the team, take on roles that has a very low survivability-rate. Defending outlying outposts is one example - sometimes you wait and do nothing for a long time and at other times you are overwhelmed by a coordinate probe. Usually you don't live very long and you don't get nearly as many kills as if you are in a powerful spam-vehicle.

This is why accumulated stats - designed as poorly as they are in BF2 anyway - only degenerates gameplay and the leve of courtesy and experimentation in-game. People TK to get to the more powerful vehicle, they don't experiment as much, there is less self-sacrifice and more clique-like behavior (won't hang with the less experienced players, swuqads only open to those that are known etc.) all in the name of the almighty stats.

These stats are used for more than tasteless and misguided "bragging", they are also used to bash others. Unfortunately both are revealing of stupenduous ignorance - but unfortunately most players' insight is too shallow to realize this, so it continues. The stat-system in BF2 is no more than what most role-playing-games have as an excuse to level you up. The more time you spend playing, the higher your "rank" and the more goodies you get. It's a marketing ploy to lure the most gullible customers to spend more time than they planned in the game.

The stats can be used for nothing in an objective sense - it is not revealing of talent or skill and the actual best players are probably avoiding stat-servers anyway.
                              As some sugested, it can maybe be used individually to see how your gameplay develops over time - in very broad terms.

Cheers :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X