Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about battlefield 2 performance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about battlefield 2 performance...

If i install battlefield 2 to a diferent drive then my system drive, keep only bf2 on that drive, and change MY DOCUMENTS folder to that drive too... will it make bf2 load the maps faster?

i'm not a hardware wizard but im guessing it would reduce the read time of the needed files since they will all be grouped together in a dedicated drive. No interuption of i/o read/write that comes with the operating system drive and what not.

I'm already in the process of deleted all the content from my 2nd drive to perform this and uninstalling and reinstalling bf2 to that drive. Thx for your responses.

Re: question about battlefield 2 performance...

wouldn't putting BF2 on ur normal harddrive and defragging it do the same thing? a defrag groups the files togther.

and from a theoretical stand point, i think putting the game on a separate HDD would make it slower. Because now your processor is juggling info coming from 2 separate sources. cuz keep in mind, that even when the game is running, windows is still running in the background. so, ud have the info from BF2 coming from one harddrive, and Windows coming from another.

hope this helps. i know its not a definite answer... sry.

Comment

Is the 2nd HDD faster? I have BF2 on my SATA and windows with mostly everything else on my slower, older one; yes it is faster.

Comment

Hard drive speed wont help you load games any faster, all it will do is locate the data faster. There is no real perfomance game between 7,200 and 10,000 RPM. If you want to load a map faster add another GB of Ram to your comp. Make sure it's the same type that you currently have.

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
          Hard drive speed wont help you load games any faster, all it will do is locate the data faster. There is no real perfomance game between 7,200 and 10,000 RPM. If you want to load a map faster add another GB of Ram to your comp. Make sure it's the same type that you currently have.
          true but hard drive speed does help u load faster, but ram makes way more of a performance boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
            Are you sure about Ram making more of an impact then Hard Drive speed (on the map load time)? all i've been reading lately is that the hard drive is the main factor when it comes to loading the maps :\ I already have 1.5 gigs of mem.

Well i finished the whole reinstalling and what not and it "FEELS" like its loading faster but it might just be the placebo effect i should have timed it before :P

oh and by the way my friend has just 1gb of ram and the same cpu and gpu as me but he has raptor drives and he loads/verifies in a snap! he always loads 1st then most people and flies a jet to the enemy base and takes their best jet to handicap them

Comment

yup for sure adding a new GB of ram is the only solution

i use d to run a RAID0 with 2 x 160GB WD SATA2 with 2GB of ram and i was always one of the first players in teh map, now my RAID0 was broken and using a sinlge DRive with teh same 2GB for am and still i am the first one

very helpful in karkand if u r a USMC player

Comment

Originally posted by Safrout
                yup for sure adding a new GB of ram is the only solution

i use d to run a RAID0 with 2 x 160GB WD SATA2 with 2GB of ram and i was always one of the first players in teh map, now my RAID0 was broken and using a sinlge DRive with teh same 2GB for am and still i am the first one

very helpful in karkand if u r a USMC player
                hmm, more ram it is then. I'll have to buy 4 new 512mb sticks i guess cuz my 3 512 sticks all differ

Comment

Map data has to be read off the hard drive to get it into ram,,,,DUH! 2 1gig sticks are better than 4 512's less overhead on cpu accessing 2 than 4. Verifing Client Data does NOT read ram it reads HD thats why defragging, raptors, raid arrays make it go faster!

Comment

ya 2 GB kit is much better than 4x512

Comment

Working...
                    X