X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander's Guide to Vehicle Dropping

COMMANDER'S GUIDE TO VEHICLE DROPPING
    1. Fast Track to the Next Control Point

Once your team captures a control point drop a vehicle nearby to allow them a quick exit before the opponent's arty comes. Also, a speeding vehicle is harder for snipers to take down than infantry on foot.

2. Support the Spec Ops

After a spec-ops has blown up the enemy's commander toys, drop a vehicle to give him a lift out of hostile territory.

3. Offensive Blocking

Drop a vehicle at an alleyway or chokepoint to temporarily block an enemy's transport. This will give more time for your arty to find them.

4. Sniper Jeep Kill

Sometimes a sniper can dive under a wooden lattice or other structure to avoid your arty. Land a vehicle next to the hiding spot and then call down your arty shower. Boom!

5. Land Mine Removal

If you see an engineer laying mines on the road, send a vehicle down on the mines. They will explode, if you're lucky. If you miss, then send arty down to explode the vehicle and clear them.

6. TOW Shield

Drop a vehicle between your team and an enemy in a TOW. This can be good defense against the pixel shooters who blindly fire missles long distances.

7. Give the Campers a Clue

You may see a few teammates camping the helicopter or jet spawn points. Drop a vehicle nearby. It's a good reminder that there is a game going on while they're shoving each other around.

Peace.

Re: Commander's Guide to Vehicle Dropping

8. Chopper supression:
    Time your drops to make impact on choppers after they clear the pad. Most pilots are rather predictable when they are taking off. Make sure there's a falling jeep in their path. Choppers in mid flight can be hit too. Practice with your aim a bit and you can spank those annoying hover campers.

9. Enriched Anti-armour Artillery:
    If the enemy is trying to take a flag with armour, launch your artillery strike first, then when it's almost there, bounce a car off their roof. With luck you'll do damage via the drop, plus arty spash damage, plus the dropped vehicle will explode. This adds up to a dead tank 90% of the time.

10. (my personal favorite) Bowling for badguys:
    Why be happy with just one kill per drop? If you catch a squad moving from point A to point B, try using the angles of sloaps, roofs, trees, *whatever*, to roll a jeep through their group. The trick here is to make sure your vehicle bounces as much as possible. As an added advantage, it's unlikely that any survivers are going to be able to use your dropped car, 'cause it's going to end up on it's side/roof or in a ditch.

11. Bait 'n Shell:
    Simple plan, make the enemy think they just got a bonus, then blow 'em up. Drop a car next to a bunch of enemies on a rooftop or in some other defencible location, then drop arty. Chances are high that they'll hop into the vehicle to use the .50 cal. Your chances of blowing up that car with your arty is higher than your chance to hit guys that are hiding under stuff or whatever. Plus, it will cause extra splash damage when it goes boom.

Comment

Originally posted by TomGazpacho
      COMMANDER'S GUIDE TO VEHICLE DROPPING
      1. Fast Track to the Next Control Point

Once your team captures a control point drop a vehicle nearby to allow them a quick exit before the opponent's arty comes. Also, a speeding vehicle is harder for snipers to take down than infantry on foot.

2. Support the Spec Ops

After a spec-ops has blown up the enemy's commander toys, drop a vehicle to give him a lift out of hostile territory.

3. Offensive Blocking

Drop a vehicle at an alleyway or chokepoint to temporarily block an enemy's transport. This will give more time for your arty to find them.

4. Sniper Jeep Kill

Sometimes a sniper can dive under a wooden lattice or other structure to avoid your arty. Land a vehicle next to the hiding spot and then call down your arty shower. Boom!

5. Land Mine Removal

If you see an engineer laying mines on the road, send a vehicle down on the mines. They will explode, if you're lucky. If you miss, then send arty down to explode the vehicle and clear them.

6. TOW Shield

Drop a vehicle between your team and an enemy in a TOW. This can be good defense against the pixel shooters who blindly fire missles long distances.

7. Give the Campers a Clue

You may see a few teammates camping the helicopter or jet spawn points. Drop a vehicle nearby. It's a good reminder that there is a game going on while they're shoving each other around.

Peace.
      Originally posted by Wargimp
      8. Chopper supression:
      Time your drops to make impact on choppers after they clear the pad. Most pilots are rather predictable when they are taking off. Make sure there's a falling jeep in their path. Choppers in mid flight can be hit too. Practice with your aim a bit and you can spank those annoying hover campers.

9. Enriched Anti-armour Artillery:
      If the enemy is trying to take a flag with armour, launch your artillery strike first, then when it's almost there, bounce a car off their roof. With luck you'll do damage via the drop, plus arty spash damage, plus the dropped vehicle will explode. This adds up to a dead tank 90% of the time.

10. (my personal favorite) Bowling for badguys:
      Why be happy with just one kill per drop? If you catch a squad moving from point A to point B, try using the angles of sloaps, roofs, trees, *whatever*, to roll a jeep through their group. The trick here is to make sure your vehicle bounces as much as possible. As an added advantage, it's unlikely that any survivers are going to be able to use your dropped car, 'cause it's going to end up on it's side/roof or in a ditch.

11. Bait 'n Shell:
      Simple plan, make the enemy think they just got a bonus, then blow 'em up. Drop a car next to a bunch of enemies on a rooftop or in some other defencible location, then drop arty. Chances are high that they'll hop into the vehicle to use the .50 cal. Your chances of blowing up that car with your arty is higher than your chance to hit guys that are hiding under stuff or whatever. Plus, it will cause extra splash damage when it goes boom.
      lol well i like both of your info . keep up the good work!

Comment

Here, we have two examples of very different BF2 players.

Tom gives us useful techniques for using a new feature included with the 1.3 patch. He gives real examples and explains the benefits of the new feature.

Wargimp, on the other hand, is that guy that ruins a game and completely destroys a new feature for his exploiting needs. You can complain all you want about the many bugs in this game or you can clearly see here that its the morons that ruin the game.

Comment

nothing wrong with cartillerying a spawn camping helo its so humiliating for them

Comment

I'm going to add my 2cents here. I have to disagree with this these tactics for using the air-dropped vehicle. These abusive "cartillery" tactics have negatively impacted my enjoyment of playing this game.

IMO the usage (more like abuse) of this new feature of air dropping a vehicle for any other purpose than providing transportation for your teammates is exploiting a feature that was NOT intended to be used in this manner.

While I find the feature to be useful when needing transportation, I realize that it would have to be totally removed to stop the abuse of "cartillery" completely.

At this point, I'd rather lose the transportation and keep playing the game than run/drive/fly around always looking to the sky for vehicles raining down.

Like I said, IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by Pyryck
              I'm going to add my 2cents here. I have to disagree with this these tactics for using the air-dropped vehicle. These abusive "cartillery" tactics have negatively impacted my enjoyment of playing this game.

IMO the usage (more like abuse) of this new feature of air dropping a vehicle for any other purpose than providing transportation for your teammates is exploiting a feature that was NOT intended to be used in this manner.

While I find the feature to be useful when needing transportation, I realize that it would have to be totally removed to stop the abuse of "cartillery" completely.

At this point, I'd rather lose the transportation and keep playing the game than run/drive/fly around always looking to the sky for vehicles raining down.

Like I said, IMO...

I completely Agree........

Comment

Originally posted by Pyryck
                Oh, I agree. It's perty cheesy and I did list some of the nastiest things you can do with the feature. Thing is, as with all other BF2 exploits and changes, you either learn 'em and adapt, or you die.

I'll rarely use Cartillery unless the other commander is doing it (almost always) or my team is losing badly and needs a little extra field help. Same goes for normal artillery, for that matter. I'd much rather see mu grunts making the kills than to get personally involved. You get better command scores that way AND it's generally a lot more fun.

Point is, as with squad hopping previously, if you ignore a part of the game (vile and/or cheesy as it may be) you're likely to get owned by it.

Comment

..and this is the mentality that is ruining this game.

'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.'

Well...THAT guy is hacking and exploiting...so why shouldn't I?

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
                    ..and this is the mentality that is ruining this game.

'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.'

Well...THAT guy is hacking and exploiting...so why shouldn't I?
                    I getcha, but I just don't think it's that severe.

I started firmly opposed to Cartillery, but I've softened quite a bit. It's like using the 1.2 uber PKM, the old noobtoob, or C4 chuckin.... just not as effective.

AS for it being an exploit... well, it doesn't require any outside "help" (macros, hacks, or even TS) to use it, both sides can use it at any time (thus it's *fair*), and it doesn't even earn you anything (kills made with cars don't get credited to anyone).

I'd like to see cartillery removed (or atleast mitigated). I'd say the best way to go about this would be to randomise the drop location a bit OR to remove the option to drop unless it's called for by an SL. I'm not such a big fan of option number 2 because I do like to drop cars for wayward lonewolves how are way outta position and trying to get back into the action.

BTW, I much prefer to use cardrops "as intended" to support my grunts, it's just that sometimes ya gotta go with the flow and let the chips (er, cars) fall as they will.

Comment

Killing snipers with vehicle drops is hilarious. However it takes less skill than with a box. I've killed at least 5 snipers off the rooftop at square on Karkand. That's a hotspot for sure. It seems that I can only do it effectively as US though. Since you can crawl safely under a vodnik, unless you hit them with a wheel, they won't die.

Comment

Any tactic is VALID in BF2... Wargimp, I'm with you on this. You whiners, it's not EVEN close to being a hack or you want to call it. The mentality is... do what it takes without cheating to win the match. Dropping vehicles on enemies is not cheating... it's like dropping arty on people. It's part of the game.. deal with it. Whiners...

Comment

Oi... as with squadhopping, I'm sympathetic to the "whiners". I do think it's a cheesy tactic and something worth complaining about. However, nothing is going to stop it from being used until it's tweaked via patch.

Houserules not withstanding, of cource. I think it's fair if admins want to add "no Cartillery use" as a house rule and kick commanders who do offencive cardrops.

Comment

also, a well positioned vehicle drop can block snipers attack againtest flag capping members and follow that with a supply for heal and ammo.

Comment

I think these are all excellent ideas. I'd say that more times than not, a good commander will be using vehicle drops to help his team as Tom said. WarGimp does explain some other uses, that may be cheesy or exploitative of the new feature, but somewhat helpful nonetheless. Sorry, I like long sentences.

Personally, I haven't seen too much of a problem with cartillery. Sure it has happened to me before, but it's nothing that has "ruined" the game. Cartillery seems like fad more than a tactic.

Comment

Working...
                              X