Weird terrain graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird terrain graphics

Ive searched and havent found anything of the like.

Whats happening is that close up my terrain looks fine. But when I get long distance i.e. Flying, the terrain seems to flicker black in and out. Different spots all over the terrain.

Ive played with my settings, even had a few that made me CTD, luckily got that ironed out.

My system is a 2.4 p4, x700pro, 1gig of ram. Mind you I updated to this card from a old 9700pro and thats when i started having the prob. Direct X is up to date, also tried both ATI and Omega drivers.

What kind of settings should I be playing with? Ive struggled for awhile, so I figured Id ask for help. Here is what it looks like:

http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?im...reen0146ad.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Re: Weird terrain graphics

I would suggest reinstalling BF2 and your videocard drivers.

Comment

I got that with my old ATI Radeon 9600 when I installed the 6.4 catalyst drivers.

Comment

check your temps, could be overheating, probably drivers also

Comment

hmm, looks a bit like tearing. anyway i use a ati 9550, even older than all u guys but i never experience these problems. maybe its the map, looks like a custom map. some custom maps just arent designed very well.

Comment

Originally posted by venny
            hmm, looks a bit like tearing. anyway i use a ati 9550, even older than all u guys but i never experience these problems. maybe its the map, looks like a custom map. some custom maps just arent designed very well.
            Tearing is when the top half and the bottom half of the image are out of synch. This picture doesnt look like tearing.

It looks like video RAM overheating similar to what I experienced with my old overclocked 9800 Pro. Upgraded to an x800XT with better cooling and no such artifacts.

If it is happening regardless of detail level, it may be a driver issue, a heat issue, or an antistropic filtering issue. It's kinda a mystery, but it isnt tearing, not in the traditional sense of the word anyway.

Comment

oh, ok. thx for the info. but has it happened on other maps? official maps?

Comment

Set your Terrain to medium, that should fix it.

Comment

Dinamic light.
                  I had that before with my 6200 turn it off and everything will be fine

Comment

I also had that with my x800xl with dynamic lighting on. Mine changed after I uninstalled the ATI drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro and installed the latest Omega Drivers.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help fellas. First off, it happens on every map. I dont play custom maps, so its all of the offical ones.

I tried to dynamic lighting, didn't help. Ive tried everything on low/off and everything on high/on. With no such luck.

I just downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro and Im going to give that route a shot. Will let cha know if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisVon
                        Ok thanks for the help fellas. First off, it happens on every map. I dont play custom maps, so its all of the offical ones.

I tried to dynamic lighting, didn't help. Ive tried everything on low/off and everything on high/on. With no such luck.

I just downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro and Im going to give that route a shot. Will let cha know if it helps.
                        What are you card temps? I was having some problems with my x800xt--black spots when I fired a gun from an aircraft (lighting and/or dynamic light problem), and also I would get these huge, smooth walls in the terrain, shooting from the top of the view to the ground. I could walk through them, but if I turned around, the big green wall was right behind me, thus it was a "persistent" artifact.

Know what? My x800xt was running at up to 92 degrees C under load. The internal parts of the fan had gotten clogged up with creeyap. If your card has "intake ports", you need to blast (gently blast, that is) those ports with a can of compressed air. You may need to take the card out to get good access. I did. Now my is usually sitting at 68C under load, and no more artifacts.

Once you get done with the software changes (drivers, etc) don't forget to also clear your BF2 cache. It's under "my documents", use the search function to find out the exact directory, can't remember off the top of my head. Anyway, the cache stores your textures, geometries, etc., so if you've got hosed-up bits and bytes in their, it can interfere with your fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisVon
                          Ive searched and havent found anything of the like.

Whats happening is that close up my terrain looks fine. But when I get long distance i.e. Flying, the terrain seems to flicker black in and out. Different spots all over the terrain.

Ive played with my settings, even had a few that made me CTD, luckily got that ironed out.

My system is a 2.4 p4, x700pro, 1gig of ram. Mind you I updated to this card from a old 9700pro and thats when i started having the prob. Direct X is up to date, also tried both ATI and Omega drivers.

What kind of settings should I be playing with? Ive struggled for awhile, so I figured Id ask for help. Here is what it looks like:

http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?im...reen0146ad.jpg

Thanks in advance.
                          yeah i had the same problem with my 9800pro after patch 1.12

Comment

Working...
                          X