Should I defrag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I defrag?

I haven't defragged in a long time and figured it would be benefitial for my BF2 experience.

Re: Should I defrag?

Survey says.....YES

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_N0rr15
      I haven't defragged in a long time and figured it would be benefitial for my BF2 experience.
      Yes.

Plus Windows will say: "You should defrag this drive" or "You do not need to defrag this drive at this time."

It'll take a couple of hours though so run it overnight or while you are off at work (I'm sure you know this though).

Comment

Thank you sir. Also how can you tell from that? how far the clusters are away from eachother? The colours should be with thier own colours?

Comment

Yeah, the red blocks are fragmented files, which are bad. The green ones never move (AFAIK). But just because you run defrag, it doesn't mean that the red goes away. Some will still be there.

Blue is what you want.

Comment

bascially blue is good red is bad, you have lots of red and so should defrag

Comment

I saw the "most fragmented files" and all of the Pure Pwnage episodes were there along with some torrents. Why them?
              Thank both daves

Comment

Shouldn't take a couple of hours though... unless you have an extremely large drive and it is fragmented to hell.

Your best bet is to get something like perfectdisk and set up weekly defrags while you are at work/school or alseep.

Comment

120 gig . Only 9% is left...I need to delete some stuff...

Comment

Because when you download, especially torrents, it will download bits and pieces of the file, placing it all over the hard drive. If it didn't download little sections of the file then you wouldn't be able to start and stop the download. You would have to download it all at once.

This should probably be in the support forum.

Comment

Well I already know so thanks guys. I'll delete the thread if you want. I didn't really wanna post in Support because I knew I'd get a really fast reply here. You guys are really helpful, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_N0rr15
                        Thank you sir. Also how can you tell from that? how far the clusters are away from eachother? The colours should be with thier own colours?
                        I usually just go by the percentage. If it's above 15% I make it a point to consider defragmenting sometime in the near future when I'm either not using my computer or not downloading anything. Which is... almost never.

The key to the diagram is that like colours should be together.

Comment

I defrag evey week or two at the most.

Comment

I make a few partions on my 200gig S-ata hard drive . I take the first partion and just use it for programs and windows. then u put Bf2 and my pagefile on another partion . Game has never run so smoth

Comment

You don't have to delete the thread. It can be moved. It's not a big deal really.

Partitioning would require reformatting though. Or buying a new hard drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X