Framerate issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framerate issues

Hello guys and gals, Battlefield 2 and Armoured Fury arnt running very well on my system. My system is as follows:
    3200 Venice @ 3800+ (2.4Ghz)
    1.5GB DDR400 Kingston
    256MB 6800GS @ 485/1100
    200GB IDE Seagate
    MSI K8N Neo 4F

I'm using Windows XP + SP2.
    Running the latest official Nvidia drivers, the 84.21's.

I am using the these settings:

Surely my PC is capable of those settings and getting a constant 40+ FPS? I find it often dipping into the low 20's. With all lighting related options im still averaging about only 30~40FPS.

As you can see I am getting 38FPS in Single Player, 16 players and a small map. 38FPS with nothing happening!

I have tried installing Battlefield 2 again, along with installing Windows again. I have tried using Drivercleaner to clean up any traces of old drivers but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Re: Framerate issues

First I would suggest that you try some older drivers, when I had my old 6600GT it ran worse on some of the newer drivers. When I went back to my old driver my FPS was high again. Try from 77.77 onwards.

How does it behave when all your settings are set to either all low or all medium? are you still getting low frame rates at these settings?

I would deffenetly switch dynamic shadows to either low or off, as this effects FPS greatly. Probally the best way to tackle this (after you have found a good driver) keep your rez and view distance the same and start all the other settings on medium & shadows low or off. Slowly turn this up after testing your new config. Eventually you should find the ballance between looking good & decent FPS.

The 6800GS is not an immensely powerfull card, yeah it will do the job but im not sure if it is capable of doing the majority of the settings on high.

Comment

how many programs u got running in the background?

U want to disable all background programs b4 playing BF2, any game for that matter.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have tried using older drivers, same performance.

I have tried turning off all shadow related problems and I am still getting ~40FPS.

I have 26 proccess's running in the background, I disable anti virus and MSN while playing.

*Sigh* Maybe it's these crappy patches? I remember my FPS dropped a fair bit when they tried to optimize something a few patches back.

Ohh well, any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by JB
          Thanks for the replies guys.

I have tried using older drivers, same performance.

I have tried turning off all shadow related problems and I am still getting ~40FPS.

I have 26 proccess's running in the background, I disable anti virus and MSN while playing.

*Sigh* Maybe it's these crappy patches? I remember my FPS dropped a fair bit when they tried to optimize something a few patches back.

Ohh well, any other ideas?
          26 is quite alot, i only have 14.

Go through this Winxp tweak guide..http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Comment

Windows alone has about 12~15 of its own proccess's, then theres my firewall + nvidia stuff.

I doubt it would be proccess's that are resulting in the poor performance, I know I shoulden't expect 2048x1536 8xAA/16xAF out of my card but I used to be able to run it at 1280x1024 Max 2xAA.

Comment

have u defrageed ur HD?

Ran adware/spyware/virus scanners?

Try the nvidia beta drivers..http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/forc...8-vt66266.html

Comment

Originally posted by JB
                I had a serous FPS reduction post 1.3

Comment

I have a 6800gs too and I put everything on medium/low and avg around 20-80 fps. I actually think AF runs better than vanilla bf2. strange...

Comment

Working...
                  X