BFWhat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFWhat?

Call me a knocker or a negative nancy if you will (and some surely will ), but I found the trailers and info on BF2142 to be very uninspiring. Sure theres loadout screens and a new game mode, but it didn't seem to me to be either a revolution or evolution of the BF series or FPS gaming in general.

So take a look at what someone else has been up to. Its Crysis, the next game in the Farcry series. Now I know its singleplayer, and the video is not the clearest, but you get some idea of the massive jump PC gaming is making in terms of graphics, physics, immersion and functionality.

Crysis video (click for video)

So is it just me, or does 2142 look pretty dated and old hat even BEFORE its released?

Re: BFWhat?

No, that Crysis or any other i doubt, will ever be as fun as BF2. Singleplayer is old hat now.

Comment

If single player is old news than i must be showing my age. I love single player still, sometimes you just dont want to deal with snotty teenagers and their "i pwnd u noob" ********.

I still enjoy Doom and Doom II now again, even in network mode over IPX. Sure multiplayer is fun, but some of the people are just to damn ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by funk3h
        No, that Crysis or any other i doubt, will ever be as fun as BF2. Singleplayer is old hat now.
        Is it? Surely there have been times for you when a multiplayer game has just proved frustrating due to other players on the server? Don't you want to kill stuff for the sake of it sometimes?

Personally I prefer multiplay most of the time, what I'm trying to get at though are the advances of Crysis and what is to be expected from newer games now. Check out how rich the environments are in that baby, and compare them to the empty wastelands of BF2142 that we have seen, theres no comparison.

Comment

single player may b old but can be realy cool i can't wait for this game , i will not play it as long as bf2 but that doesn't mean it sux

Comment

Single player is an awesome experience if its well done. I still remember roaming Black Mesa in HL1. best PC FPS SP experience I had.

But, I dont think that Im going to play SP game for 12 months. My first BF2 birthday is in 3 days :P

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
              Is it? Surely there have been times for you when a multiplayer game has just proved frustrating due to other players on the server? Don't you want to kill stuff for the sake of it sometimes?

Personally I prefer multiplay most of the time, what I'm trying to get at though are the advances of Crysis and what is to be expected from newer games now. Check out how rich the environments are in that baby, and compare them to the empty wastelands of BF2142 that we have seen, theres no comparison.
              You are judging against a pre-alpha demo version of a game.

If you even understand what that means..

Comment

Love the graphics, if that was multip.ayer + these graphics + ability to destroy trees etc - (minues) futuristing stuff + real life war style... = teh win!

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
                  Call me a knocker or a negative nancy if you will (and some surely will ), but I found the trailers and info on BF2142 to be very uninspiring. Sure theres loadout screens and a new game mode, but it didn't seem to me to be either a revolution or evolution of the BF series or FPS gaming in general.

So take a look at what someone else has been up to. Its Crysis, the next game in the Farcry series. Now I know its singleplayer, and the video is not the clearest, but you get some idea of the massive jump PC gaming is making in terms of graphics, physics, immersion and functionality.

Crysis video (click for video)

So is it just me, or does 2142 look pretty dated and old hat even BEFORE its released?

nice vid, crysis looks awesome

Comment

Originally posted by MrBenis
                    You are judging against a pre-alpha demo version of a game.

If you even understand what that means..
                    Yes I indeed do, Mr. Extra-for-experts. I realise features can get chopped and added before a game finally goes gold.

But if you watch the video, then watch the video of the developer showing off BF2142 at a trade show (I'd link but I'm too lazy and you know everything anyway) surely you'd agree there is a huge divide between the capabilities of the engines and depth of gameplay.

Comment

Battlefield 2142 looks like it should be a mod or expansion at most for Battlefield 2, instead of another game costing $50. EA and Dice, after the release of Battlefield 2, are too money orientated. i liked the way EA and Dice created Battlefield 1942, it was revolutionary for the time.

Comment

I'd love to see crysis run a 64 man mulitplayer with vehicles and real-time bullet physics.

You couldn't comprehend how hard that is to program. Don't bother telling me otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBenis
                          I'd love to see crysis run a 64 man mulitplayer with vehicles and real-time bullet physics.

You couldn't comprehend how hard that is to program. Don't bother telling me otherwise.
                          Sure thing Mr. Benis, you know all, you see all. You must work for one of Auckland's bigger game development houses to have such a wide knowledge of programming. Either that or spend a lot of time on google when you're not trying to shoot people down on chatrooms or designing egotistical forum signatures (I'm actually hoping you put them on as a pis-take).

BF2 isn't so great at running 64 man multiplayer with vehicles itself, and thats what it was designed to do.

Far Cry's multiplay was pretty good. Sure not on the same scale as the BF series, but given it was outside of Far Cry's core competency of singleplayer, it ran pretty smoothly and is still fun to chuck on a lan.

Bf2's code is a dog, poorly optimised and extremely difficult to modify and keep stable at the same time.

Comment

if they were to simply re-dress the BF2 game so that it was sci fi and call it BF2142 I'd buy it. The simple fact is, BF2 is a great game... all they're doing really is changing the look of it to match sci fi, plus a few new weapons and vehicles. (and Titan is not a new game mode, it's nearly the same as capture the flag except that you get to destroy the base after they've run out of tickets)

Comment

Single player for The Sims is still fun.

I want to kno if BF2142 will have ranks/awards like BF2.

Comment

Working...
                              X