Global Texturing Vehicles Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Texturing Vehicles Question

This has been beating me up for days... so, I figure I better ask the experts.
    I have a modified "USTHE_UH60_c.dds" texture, but can't get it to map the HH-60s.

I'm trying to apply a new texture to the HH-60 helicopter, globally... that's to mean, for all stock maps in BF2 for my standalone system. I've tried the "Custom Textures in Your Maps Tutorial" in the "Mapping" threads -- but couldn't get it to change the texture.

Also, I've replaced the original HH-60 texture, located in the "Objects.Client.zip", with my new texture... but, it still shows the original "Navy" skins.

I'm use to working in Microsoft Flight Sim, and it's usually -- just replace the texture with the same named file and you're good to go.

How do the textures get applied...???

Why does changing the texture in the "vehicles/air/usthe_h60/Textures" folder NOT change the texture of the aircraft?

I can't find any other textures for the vehicles in any of the folders or zip files... so, you would think this folder is the most logical place to generate a "global" change to a vehicle texture for all maps.

What am I missing???

Thanks for any and all help...

Confused about Textures... Dave

Re: Global Texturing Vehicles Question

Confused....

HH-60 What is this - is this a renamed model?
    Or should it be the usthe_uh60?

If you change the name the bundlemesh will always point back to the original texture as it is hard coded into the file itself {Use a Hexeditor to view it at the bottom of the file}

If the texture file is called the same and is placed in the right place it will work.

Check the map you are trying to test on - Is it a woodland map? If so in the Server.zip file in the map, open it up and click on "Init.con". Now check down the bottom of this file for the following lines.

"if v_arg1 == BF2Editor
    LevelSettings.CustomTextureSuffix "Woodland"
    else
    texturemanager.customTextureSuffix "Woodland"
    endIf"
    If you see the above "woodland" it will bypass your desert skin and will load the woodlands skin.

You should be able to add the texture to the map level itself if required.

Hope this helps

Comment

Ummm, sorry... Freudian Slip... I work in the US Coast Guard and we call our H-60 Helos "HH-60" --- so, in my zeal for getting this typed out, I wrote HH-60, instead of UH-60. You're correct in assuming I really meant UH-60.

Yeup, I was sure to used and replaced the exact file name for my new texture in the Vehicles... Textures folder. So, the only texture that should be used for "skinning" the H-60 "should" be my new one ---- correct? As, there is no other texture that should be available, unless it is somehow in a cache or being pulled from the CD. Otherwise, how else can the aircraft get its texture?

Based upon some additional research, it seems the only way I can change the texture for "stock" vehicles is by using the BF2 Editor to create a custom mod. I'm still not getting WHY, if I change the original texture map assigned to an object (e.g. the helicopter), it doesn't reflect the change when I run the game. Where else is it (or can it) get the texture map?

Sorry, but I still remain... confused.

Thanks for the reply, Dave

Comment

Certainly strange.

I have not tried to alter my BF2 mod so that is the difference here.

All our reskins are done by our mod.

I have added my skins to the maps only and that way it will show all the time regardless of what mod is played.

Comment

you will need to make an objects folder inside your maps folder(example...levels/gulf_of_oman/objects client/vehicles/air/usthe_uh60/Textures..save the new texture in here),and make sure the texture name remains the same as the uh 60 texture(USTHE_UH60_c.dds),also make sure you have the right amount of mipmaps and use the correct dxt format on saving.

Comment

Hey Guys...

Thanks for the reply... I finally got it working.

First (I'm almost embarrassed to say)... it helps if you make SURE your working with your modified texture. Since I was working with the same-named files... I didn't realize I was using the "old" Navy texture... so, naturally, it didn't update. Duh... (garbage in... garbage out...) Pay attention to the file's date, since you can't see a thumbnail image.

DogmanSlayer - I was initially trying to just "mod" the Wake Island Map using the "Custom Skins in Your Map Tutorial" in the Mapping threads by Croupier. In his instructions, you set up a custom suffix -- which I did.

It was after reading your thread that commented on the code... :
            --
            if v_arg1 == BF2Editor
            LevelSettings.CustomTextureSuffix "Woodland"
            else
            texturemanager,customTextureSuffix "Woodland"
            endIf
            --
            ... that I got a clue. I tried setting up my own "suffix", but the code you mentioned, lower down in the Server.Zip/init.con (which I didn't see, before) was overwriting, so it never saw or loaded mine. I had put the two lines of code for the "customTextureSuffix" in the upper "If-else", which was also my mistake (sorry Croupier..., my fault). My quick fix was to just change my texture's suffix to "Woodland" --- and it worked. E.G. I placed an Objects_client.zip in the Wake Island folder containing just the "Vehicles/Air/usthe_uh60/Textures" folders, only. Then named my texture "USTHE_UH60_c_Woodland.dds"...; modified the ".con" files according to Croupier's instructions...; and Tah-Tah... new skins in Wake Island. By the way, Croupier (if you see this)... thanks for that tutorial. It works, if you follow the instructions, carefully.

BEEX -- You are also correct. After I got it working in Wake Island. I decided to just go to the "...mods/bf2/Objects_client.zip" file and overwrite the original UH-60's texture with my new texture (keeping the names the same). And now, all my UH-60s have the NEW texture for all stock BF2 maps. BTW... If anyone else trys this... it takes a while for the file to copy and overwrite into the .zip... so, give it time.

So, it turns out "global" texturing DOES work like I thought it should, after all. You just need to make sure to keep the names the same (and be sure you're trying to load your NEW texture... duh).

For anyone else trying this... I make no claim that it will work for everyone. Just be sure to keep backups of your original files BEFORE you make edits, or --- it's coder beware.

Hope my discoveries and mistakes help someone else trying the same thing.

Thanks again for your replies and patience... v/r, Dave

--- IMPORTANT WARNING --- ABOUT TRYING THIS MOD

I was initially testing these texture mods on Single Player and LAN-hosted Multiplayer games. Everything seemed to work fine...

HOWEVER... When I attempt to join an Internet game, I get the message "... this server does not allow BF2 with modified content..." and I'm NOT allowed to join. -- Just dicovered this, the hard way!

Hmm... I'm not sure why the network sees my texture changes as a "mod", which now effectively "bans" me from playing intranet-hosted games.

Always something... Any Ideas???

v/r, Dave

Comment

Well done mate

Good too see

Comment

Working...
              X