Your best keyboard remapping tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best keyboard remapping tips

At the end of a long day at work using a keyboard and mouse what better way to relax at home than in front of a keyboard and mouse, being killed in various ways on BF2. But I find that by the time I get home I've developed sausage fingers and end up getting shot because my hands have become dyslexic

What are your favourite keyboard or mouse remapping tips you're willing to share, that will save me from early arthritis? No macros please

Re: Your best keyboard remapping tips

Have you ever considered a ZBoard or Nostromo pad?

Comment

Logitech Internet Navigator SE + Logitech G5

Comment

Nostromo n52!!!

Comment

I was hoping for a cheap way of improving my performance but it looks like I'll have to spend some money :cry:

Comment

Hehe...my apologies, but I just find using WASD far too cumbersome now that I've switched to a speedpad...been using one for YEARS.

They aren't too expensive, but if you're looking for a free solution, then hopefully somebody will post some interesting keyboard layouts.

My suggestion:

-map both jump and parachute to the SPACE bar (by editing controls.con)

Comment

Just simple ones, nothing unique but very effective (for me at least):

Keyboard (all of these are secondary unless otherwise noted):
              ==============================================

-[Num 1]-[Num9] for different weapons selects.

-[Left Alt] is prone. This way my thumb is near [Space] to jump or [Left Alt] to prone at all times (You have to re-bind 3D map toggle first).

-[C] is map zoom. I use this alot to see where my squad mates are and/or objectives/enemies, etc. (You have to re-bind Camera Cycle first)

-[Backspace] is parachute. This is much easier to fat finger as you plummet to the ground.

Mouse (I have a five-button mouse)
              ===========================

- [Wheel Click] brings us the squad screen. This is very handy to bring up a large map to see where my individual SL or SM's are, give orders as a SL (Move to, attack, etc.), or see the life status of my squad.

- I have two side buttons. One is squad VOIP so I can talk and walk at the same time. The other is crouch. To do it with the keyboard is too uncomfortable for me.

Comment

Yeah, having a good multi-button mouse is VERY important.

What mouse do you have?

I have the 10-button MX1000 and I have MANY actions mapped to my mouse.
                -tilt left = main weapon
                -tilt right = sidearm
                -tilt down = secondary weapon
                -tilt up = accessory weapon
                -middle mouse click = map zoom
                -small thumb = full screen map
                -middle thumb = spawn screen
                -large thumb = VOIP
                -left click = fire
                -right click = iron sights

Comment

I remapped parachute to "1" and put knife on "2" and pistol on the wheel click. I read that on someone else post on the forum. But the above mentions seem better.

:edit: Ooooh, the Nostrom n52 looks nice. I might have to get one.

Comment

Wow, cool tips guys thanks. And if anyone uses the Zboard or other types of devices like it, please post your reviews. I have considered the Zboard now and then but I would like some input from this community.

Comment

Trust Talus to be first in with the Nostromo N52 / MX1000 combination for BF2 hehe

Anyway I heartily second his recommendation, I've been using them both for the last year.

Comment

What about using an Xbox controller or PS2 controller? I know you can get adapters for those relatively cheaply. I imagine it would be nice with an Xbox controller, but I lack the controller, the adapter, and the motivation to try. Anyone use these?

Comment

Originally posted by davelisowski
                          What about using an Xbox controller or PS2 controller? I know you can get adapters for those relatively cheaply. I imagine it would be nice with an Xbox controller, but I lack the controller, the adapter, and the motivation to try. Anyone use these?

noooo thanks

Comment

I recently got an N52 also, really comfotable, it's just taking some time getting it set to a natural feel layout. The good thing about it is, you can set macros to do simple things, like throw a grenade and switch back to primary weapon in one click, or switch to the .50 in a jeep without having to fumble for F2 (picked these up from a clan mate) With the three different shift modes, you can incorporate way more functions than you need into the pad, and once you get a feel for it, you won't want to use a keyboard again.

Comment

I used WSAD for movement.
                              Middle mouse button for jump.

Left CTRL for crouch, Z for prone. E to enter/exit vehicles
                              NUMPAD Enter for parachute

Side button on MX518 for Teamspeak commo.
                              Thats my setup

Comment

Working...
                              X