Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost connection to server issues!!!!...Solution found for some of us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost connection to server issues!!!!...Solution found for some of us.

Ok, let me first off state that this is not an issue related to a crash to desktop, that is patch 1.3. This is something myself as well as many others have experienced since shortly after the new patch.

If you are getting a "lost connection to server" message as it crashes you out of the game back to BFHQ, first look at where you live.

Second look at who your ISP is…If you are an SBC customer you most likely have the same issue myself and others have.

Long story short...Myself and a few clan mates that live in the DFW area all had SBC as an ISP. We would all get dropped at the same time so we decided to investigate.

After some research we found that our ping packets were dropping at theplanet.com 's servers. So I called them up. They were able to replicate the issue and told me they had problems that started last week (which happened to be when our problems started).

The moral of the story is that they have re-opened a trouble ticket to correct the issue.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

P.S. If you want to research the same issue for yourself. Run a tracert to the server IP you are trying to connect to and see where the packets get lost. If this is a significant enough issue I can post the trouble ticket number so that many other can call and reference it.

Hope this helps everyones frustration
    Justin

Re: Lost connection to server issues!!!!...Solution found for some of us.

Thanks for the info dude. Many people will hopefully find some relief if they read that post. The issue with packet loss has been ongoing for quite sometime. It seems that BF2 or maybe gamespy itself has a very low tolerance for packet loss in general.
    What does this mean?
    Well, with most other games, like CSS and DOD, etc if you lose a few packets you will lag out really bad, and then everything is fine. In BF2, it seems you must continually have a specific packet rate going or else you get the Connection Problem, eventually if your packet rate is not back within normal limits within a few seconds, you are automatically disconnected.
    It may have something to do with the Ranked server config files themselves though, as a way to prevent ping exploits? Just my guess.

Comment

Insightbb here. A cable provider. They are now hittin a sprint back bone ( I forget the name of the backbone). Same issues as before when we were on the AT&T backbone. I get connection lost a ton of times. Its not related to that I assure you. Its BF2 and strictly BF2. Most of the time either about 10 or 12 people get dropped at the same time is me, or the server crashes completely!

EDIT: That or this patch made the packet loss more sensitive

Comment

Thank you Shadow for posting this info.
        It could be very valuable information to some players out there.
        Good job.

Comment

Hmm I do get a lot of "lost connection to server" problems, but right after that I always check the server I was playing in... lo and behold, it crashed: takes forever to refresh, ping is sky high, and after a few minutes when it's back online there are zero players. So no, it's not my ISP or packet loss. I know for a fact that it's the servers and this crappy patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow793
            Long story short...

After some research we found that our ping packets were dropping at theplanet.com 's servers. So I called them up. They were able to replicate the issue and told me they had problems that started last week (which happened to be when our problems started).
            Every time this happens to my clan members the whole server is down and everyone is gone. We can tell the server has actually crashed because when it comes back up it's back to the first map in it's rotation and 0 players are present. Even players in other countries are disconnected.

It happens often with 64 plyr, infrequently with 32 plyr, and seldom with 16 plyr.

Comment

try this:
              1) connect to pb server (ranked)
              2) open console "`"
              3) pb_sleep (remember value)
              4) pb_sleep 500
              5) pb_writecfg

to me this fixed some connection problems.

you can return to previous value doing same only under
              3) pb_sleep "remembered value"

Comment

i dont live in the us. i have no idea what SBC is. but i still have all those disconnects all the time. n judging from these info from players all over the world, i dont believe its anything to do with isp. but its the game.

Comment

Working...
                X