What do you expect from a commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you expect from a commander?

When you are grunting it along, what do you expect from a commander? What is the last straw that makes you start a mutiny vote?

Now granted, I havent spent nearly as much time commanding as some people have but I have winning record in the commanders seat and try my best to be the eye in the sky for my troops... and here's a little story.

It's a 32 man Karkand server and about 10 minutes into the fight a guy on my team says "SOMEBODY PLEASE BE COMMANDER!". At first I was going to pass and then a couple minutes go by and nobody steps up so I apply and get it. First thing I do is drop a UAV at the hottest hotspot, scan and spot people at our flags at the Gatehouse and the Suburb... typical crap. I see an attack mounting at the square so I drop arty on it and kill 3 or 4 enemies... nothing unusual.

Well as the round goes on I see that there are 16 guys on my team and 10 of them are unsquadded. The remaining 6 are as follows... a squad of 3 who do what I order, a squad of 2 who seem content to sit and snipe and decline every order I give them, and a squad of 1 who is running around like Rambo, trying to play Billy-Badass.

We are doing OK but eventually our lack of organization starts to tip to our enemy's favor and we get whooped up on.... when what should happen? One of the un-assigned guys starts a mutiny vote, and it passes! 8 people voted for mutiny when 10 are running around like chickens with their heads cut off...

I was shocked, but then realized that I was playing a game on the internet and most people on the internet are idiots.... but regardless.... if you've ever been one of 10 un-squadded idiots who started a mutiny vote, what were you expecting from your commander?

Re: What do you expect from a commander?

those people are just voting because they need something 2 complain about.. the key to winning a round is teamplay.. many still don't know that... (or don't want to :S)

Comment

what do we REQUIRE of our commanders in our SERVER?
      NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER run on foot in combat
      NEVER EVER FLY a jet
      NEVER EVER FLY a helo - except in extreme emergency to CAP a flag
      (to save a game)
      NEVER EVER gun in a helo - except in extreme emergency
      NEVER EVER DRIVE armor - parking in Armor OK to prevent theft - but GET out when asked

In addition to non-stop UAV.SCANS.SUPPLES SMART ARTY and cartillery
      use the VOIP ,

and the better commanders can:
      zoom in and spot 'tactical enemies' - eg flag to be taken, spec ops by armor, etc not just spam and spot every single guy
      but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS spot armor/help/jet

and the better commanders can anticipate certain troop movements and set up traps (FUN)

Comment

I expect enough help to win the side.

Someone that camps his main and defends it to the death, while not being over exposed to arty,carty, flanking squads, etc.. (C4 helps defend nicely).

Someone that uses VoIP, to reinforce those orders / etc...

Someone smart with his assets, doesn't drop arty into the major battles - keeps away from heavy TK's. Drops UAV where needed, spots where its not at, and uses everything at his disposal.

Outside of that, he can't win it alone. It does require a certain amount of teamwork.

Comment

A good commander watches what his team is doing and supports them accordingly. I reckon a good commander is like a good referee - you just don't notice them. If you get UAV's everywhere you expect them, enemys spotted and supplies dropped upon request it's easy to forget that there's actually some guy working his arse off providing all that support, I for one, generally take it for granted which is a shame.

As soon as the UAV's stop then you're screwed and the shouting starts. I often fail to get resupplied upon request but can put up with that but not having a UAV running or enemy's spotted is pretty well unforgiveable.

If you're playing commander, IMHO, you're not allowed to do anything else. Like someone said, no planes, nothing, commanding should take up 100% of your time.

One thing I have noticed is that commanders orders are often ignored. That is a shame but you have to take into account that people on the ground may find it hard to get to the base you've specified or they may want to hang around defending the base they've just capped so I wouldn't be too bothered about that. I often see that commanders orders are not realistic or simply not a very good idea at that point.

It's probably a little thankless being a commander as, if everythings going fine, no one will notice you or thank you but as soon as you miss one call for supplies people will get on your case. Most people will put up with that but just keep the UAV's flying and spotting the enemy and be VERY careful with the arty :-)

Comment

I expect the commander to sit down somewhere and do his damn job. Not lead us into battle, only to stop in the middle of the horde of enemies and get stabbed.

If he can't do that, kick and or ban him (depending on if he's done stupid **** in the past)

Comment

A commander has to at least answer requests, if they don't do that, its definately a mutiny vote from me... However, if I don't see them doing artys etc, I may still start a mutiny vote because I think they arn't putting in much effort, unless of course I think they might be using cartillery behind enemy lines etc.

-Matt

Comment

I usually call mutiny votes on the retarded commanders.

This is what I expect from a pub commander:

1) Dropping UAV in the hottest places.

2) Dropping supplies for his armor/AT without being asked to.

3) Dropping arty in correct situations trying his best to avoid dropping it on his teammates

4) Spotting like CRAZY. It may be annoying, but it's better to know where people are. If a commander doesn't/hardly ever spots and just use's his UAV, I immediately click the mutiny button.

Comment

If the commander gives me an order and I follow though, I expect him to support me with UAV/Supplies/Vehicle drops; otherwise, nothing.

Comment

Just do your damn job! Answer requests for the most part. And squad leaders pass requests on to the commander that you receive from your squad members!!

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
                      what do we REQUIRE of our commanders in our SERVER?
                      NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER-NEVER EVER run on foot in combat
                      NEVER EVER FLY a jet
                      NEVER EVER FLY a helo - except in extreme emergency to CAP a flag
                      (to save a game)
                      NEVER EVER gun in a helo - except in extreme emergency
                      NEVER EVER DRIVE armor - parking in Armor OK to prevent theft - but GET out when asked

In addition to non-stop UAV.SCANS.SUPPLES SMART ARTY and cartillery
                      use the VOIP ,

and the better commanders can:
                      zoom in and spot 'tactical enemies' - eg flag to be taken, spec ops by armor, etc not just spam and spot every single guy
                      but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS spot armor/help/jet

and the better commanders can anticipate certain troop movements and set up traps (FUN)
                      Exactly

Failiure to comply will result in your removal from the server

Comment

I may still start a mutiny vote because I think they arn't putting in much effort
                        Oh lol. No matter what u do as Commander there's always some expert telling u how to do the job right. I've played for both good & bad Commanders like the rest of us. But, to be fair, there's not too many real bad ones about since the game was launched. People just trying to get the 'Hours in' usually get briefed up in text or voip on what is required by squadleaders. Usually they have been a 'SL' & generally know what is expected of them. I've even seen people in jets doing a fair job. But not ideal (they can't take flags).

There's plenty of people with rules for the Commander. But not so many rules for the Squadleaders & no necessity at all to even join a squad! There's usually at least 50% of the players in the team right there. Why is nothing ever said or debated about the 'Lonewolves'?

Granted, the Commander is a vital asset. But without decent order following squads some do tend to lose interest when hearing 'Negative' all the time. I was hoping this latest patch would have contributed to squadplay, which in turn would have kept a Commander busier, but it didn't.

Go do the job & see for yourself. There's not many formed in squads & together following an order. There is however always loads of little singleplayer blue dots that u cannot warn about arty incoming. So the inevitable tk's follow.

Yet many will moan & try to vote out the Commander as usual.

If u want a fulltime active Commander, then u need to keep them busy by requesting things from him/her (supplies, vehicles, uav, artillery, orders, backup). You need to follow those orders. You also need to hear your squadmembers acknowledging the order that u accepted. That then becomes your 'Commander mission' until it is completed. Check your points at the end of a round to see how they swell up when u complete those missions throughout the round .

How many 'manage' their squads effectively as a Squadleader? who 'invites' the lonewolves to fill their squad in the squad management screen? who asks their squadmembers to take a certain class to enhance the squad make-up? Who kicks from their squad if their members are all over the map? Not very many of u. Before u start voting the Commander out, u might want to consider some of these things in future.

Don't whine about all Commanders. Take a look at your own performances first & do a good job for them. They're on the same team .

A Commander will generally do a better job if u keep them busy. Those that don't, or can't stand the heat, should be rightly voted out of the kitchen.:evil: But don't forget to give them a chance, & don't kick/ban them just because u 'think' they might not do a good job. Or, because it's your server & u will tell them how to Command because your fiver a month dictates that ability.

PS. What are u waiting for? Get out there & try it now!

Comment

that he givse good UAV, doesnt drop arty on us (bus always seems to do it), and isnt fighting but staying back and doing his job

Comment

The Mutiny button is useless. I have like 500 hours playing and never, ever seen that thing working.

Comment

Being commander is the perfect smoke a joint round.
                              Just discovered the fun of being commander.

Comment

Working...
                              X