Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bf2 lag reduction site, new material

Hey guys,

I Haven't posted on here in a while but i thought i'd just drop by and let you know that I've added a couple more tweaks to the famous BF2 lag reducing guide.

You can check out the site here http://www.bf2lag.com and the tips here http://www.bf2lag.com/top5tips.html

I would also welcome any suggestions you might have for the site or the tips, and PLEASE pm me if you do.

Thanks a lot,

ben,

(also if the site helped pls put it in ur signature or something so others can find it if they so need it)

Re: Bf2 lag reduction site, new material

Thanks for the info.

Comment

yea m8...thanks

Comment

I have questions about disabling the paging executive... This will affect all programs, correct?
        Are there any issues with this?

Nice tips though. I shall put them to use.

Comment

Great site, I will be certainly trying the ones that pose no risk to my OS and maybe the ones that do (with precautions of course).

For manually updating PB, do you have to do this say once a day? Or you update and it's done?

Comment

Very nice site. I used all the tweaks and I was able to boost from low settings to medium settings. I especially liked the tweaked driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumintiger
              Great site, I will be certainly trying the ones that pose no risk to my OS and maybe the ones that do (with precautions of course).

For manually updating PB, do you have to do this say once a day? Or you update and it's done?
              I don't think it's nessercary everyday, but at least once a fortnight or so I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by davelisowski
                I have questions about disabling the paging executive... This will affect all programs, correct?
                Are there any issues with this?

Nice tips though. I shall put them to use.
                I've said it before in regards to some of "tweaks" listed at http://bf2lag.com , they don't work, and most that think they do, fall for the placebo effect, where they desperately want something to be better, and think it works.

Take a look here at tweakhound's XP tweak guide, under the BAD TWEAKS section of the guide:

or in the XP MYTHS section of this guide:

Disable Paging of Kernel

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

Under all but the most very extreme circumstances it does nothing. What this setting does is force XP to keep the kernel (the core of the operating system) in RAM. This means that the kernel will reside in the fastest storage area in your computer. Sounds great right? Guess what? XP does this anyway unless the system comes under such an extremely heavy load that it needs the space. The very millisecond that the system has free memory, it will put the kernel right back into RAM. If the system is in such dire straights that it needs to use the space that the kernel is using I would say you are on your way to a crash and you better let whatever wants the space have it. You also better add more memory ASAP.
                The same goes for prioritizing IRQs:
                Set Irq Priority

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\PriorityControl]

"IRQ8Priority"=dword:00000001

I can find no documentation that XP supports this setting. I can find no evidence that this setting works in XP.** If it did work I fail to understand any advantages you might gain. I’m not even sure if it’s possible to reassign IRQ priorities in this manner XP and if you could I’m pretty sure that this key wouldn’t be how you do it (XP uses/accesses/manages IRQ’s differently than previous versions of Windows).**** They use irq 8 because it’s (usually) the CMOS/real time clock.
                .. and something else I've noticed, why are most people still, like the list, suggesting to fiddle around with the intro movies, when they want to disable them?
                There's an builtin commandline option, that does this for you, without renaming/moving/deleting the files.
                Instead just add +restart 1 in the Target textbox of the BF2 shortcut's properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
                  .. and something else I've noticed, why are most people still, like the list, suggesting to fiddle around with the intro movies, when they want to disable them?
                  There's an builtin commandline option, that does this for you, without renaming/moving/deleting the files.
                  Instead just add +restart 1 in the Target textbox of the BF2 shortcut's properties.
                  Tacking "+restart 1" at the end of the target address will kill the intro movie?

I'm curious about these "BF2" optimized video drivers. Anyone try these? I'm using an ATI X1900.

Comment

Originally posted by kitchener
                    Tacking "+restart 1" at the end of the target address will kill the intro movie?

I'm curious about these "BF2" optimized video drivers. Anyone try these? I'm using an ATI X1900.
                    Yea you right-click on your shortcut, select properties and it is focused on the shortcut tab. Then in the textbox labled Target, you add the +restart 1 . It is the textbox where +fullscreen 1 etc is at.

I use the OmegaDrivers drivers, instead of regular catalyst. It still uses the old ATI control panel, and bundles ATI Tray Tool and MultiRes along with it.
                    The goal, og the OD driveres aren't about increasing your benchmark score in artificial benchmark utils etc, it is more about applying quality tweaks without hurting performance, and giving you more options like more resolutions to choose from, and support for ATI Mobility cards too.

I haven't tried the ones linked to at bf2lag.com yet.

Comment

I didn't realize the Omegas were already out on the ATI 6.5s -- reading the forums at driverheaven, though, it seems like there's some problems. Have you tried the new ones?

Comment

Originally posted by kitchener
                        I didn't realize the Omegas were already out on the ATI 6.5s -- reading the forums at driverheaven, though, it seems like there's some problems. Have you tried the new ones?
                        I have no problems here with an ATI x850XT. I havn't read what the issuse is at DH yet.

You can always just uninstall with DriverCleaner, also from DH community, and all traces of previous drivers are gone:

Comment

Think I'll give the Omegas or the Warcats a try. I have the Catalyst 6.5s but with a new X1900 gt, a pentium D, and 2 gigs of ram, I cringe every time I see my FPS drop below 30 in a major firefight/arty strike.

According to the gripes on Driver Heaven, some have had problems with the new Omega drivers and a missing file. I suspect it's probably user error, but who knows -- the comments on those xtreme-g warcat drivers the bf2lag site links to seem pretty good, so I might start with those.

What's your take on those punkbuster tweaks?

Comment

does adding memory to ur video card actaully work?

Comment

BooM you can't add more memory to your video card. I'm guessing they meant to the system :s

Comment

Working...
                              X