Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a better joystick help with jet accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a better joystick help with jet accuracy?

Currently I have a Saited ST290 Pro joystick that cost me $20 at WalMart. I can fly fairly well with it, but cannot line up shots with the gun accurately. I always move too far above or below my intended target when attempting to line up the shot. This can be a bit of a problem when trying to take out AA sites and any other targets for that matter.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it by upgrading to a better joystick?

Re: Does a better joystick help with jet accuracy?

definately, i just got mine, i am so much better in bombing, although i still have to get used to the very sharp turns overall is way better, also my fingers dont suffer anymore from being all bent and stiff in the keys lol

Comment

It's important to have a decent stick, but it's absolutely unneccessary to get a 100 dollar stick for this game. The two most popular are about 30 being the Logitech 3d Extreme Pro(I have this) and the Saitek Cyborg evo. The one you have is probably fine, just try practicing more, and whatever you do, don't use the Eurofighter.

Comment

A joystick is better than keyboard/mouse for flying to be sure. But the less expensive sticks develop problems very early on from normal use. The input sensors used to read how much you are moving the stick in any direction are called potentiometers (or "pots" for short). The pots are like minature radio dials or like the volume dial on your speakers, radio etc. They actually use a small metal arm that contacts another metal plate to measure the amount of movement as you rotate the dial one way or the other.

If you've ever noticed on a speaker volume dial how as it ages you gradually start to get huge static-sounding noises as you begin to adjust the volume, then you will understand what happens to the pots in your joystick. As you use the stick, the pots begin to develop wear, get dirty and then begin sending signal "spikes" much like the old speaker volume knob. When you are flying with a joystick, the first signs of this are in the drifting of the plane if you take your hands off the controls and notice a persistent move towards one side or the other or in climbing or descending - as though the plane had a mind of its own. As the problem persists, the calibration will not hold and eventually even very small movements of the stick send wild and unpredictable signal spikes making controlling the aircraft progressively more difficult over time.

So, tying this all together, the less expensive joysticks tend to wear out sooner due to the inferior key components - potentiometers. As an example, when I used the Logitech 3D Extreme, I was wearing one out every 4-6 weeks with slightly above average use. I did no better with the similarly priced Saiteks. They all worked great the first couple of weeks and then started the inevitable decline until I absolutely had to replace them just to be able to fly.

On the other hand, I eventually made the switch to the Saitek X52 which uses a contactless input sensor known as the "hall sensor". Hall sensors use a magnetic sensor to measure input and are incredibly more reliable. So far I've had mine for over 10 months and have had ZERO problems in above average use. I have steady signals and have not had to use the deadband adjustment as of yet to compensate for wear. It's as solid and precise as the day I bought it for just under $100. In that same time I would easily have worn out 3 or 4 sticks of lessor quality at $25 a pop. SInce my X52 is far from showing any signs of quitting, I can declare my own experience has been that the more expensive joystick actually cost me less over time than the cheaper ones I was using beforehand.

In addition to the increased reliability and cost savings over time, having a HOTAS system (hands on throttle and stick) allows a new level of enjoyment unable to be matched by cheaper all-in-one sticks. I have literally hundreds of programmable functions at my fingertips without having to touch the keyboard while in the air. It just makes the flying part of any game that much more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Underpant
          It's important to have a decent stick, but it's absolutely unneccessary to get a 100 dollar stick for this game. The two most popular are about 30 being the Logitech 3d Extreme Pro(I have this) and the Saitek Cyborg evo. The one you have is probably fine, just try practicing more, and whatever you do, don't use the Eurofighter.
          Why not? the Eurofighter is a great jet.

As for the OP, when I first got my attack 3 stick, it seemed weird at first. With mouse I felt I had better accuracy with guns, but after 2 or 3 days of playing you will get the hang of it.

As for the claims of wearing out sticks and sticks failing, my Logitech Attack 3 has been going strong for a year now so I dont buy that. Unless you play with it like a 3 year old throwing his toys around, I dont think there should be a problem.

Comment

so colony the Attack 3 does the job? I was thinking of getting one as i think the $30 will get the
            job done for BF2.I dont feel the need to have the x52 just for BF2, be like having a Hemi on a lawn
            mower :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by =FCS=GI*DumB$hiT
              so colony the Attack 3 does the job? I was thinking of getting one as i think the $30 will get the
              job done for BF2.I dont feel the need to have the x52 just for BF2, be like having a Hemi on a lawn
              mower :laugh:
              yea and it was $20 when I got it from ebgames

Comment

I cant say the same as Colony for my Attack 3. Its incredibly robust and does really do well under pressure. I used to play about 8 hours or more, a day in the summer (bored, and my leg was busted so I kinda had no choice). I understand that it wore out, and why. It was my first joystick and it was the ground for evolution of my JS handling skills, from VERY robust moves, to eventually gentle and slight, slow movements. However, in 11 months, I lost TOTAL calibration no matter what I did. In other words, its useless. I could post a FRAPS video on what it looks and feels like now. Its in my cupboard now, collecting dust.

Im getting a new Attack 3 because I believe that with correct use, this really will hold on for much longer, plus, I rarely play nowadays.

If you want a robust piece that will get the job done- Attack 3 is great. Just be warned.

RV pilots, I copy-pasted your text just in case. Thats pretty damn informative stuff. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

I've had my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 for about four or five years, and it has NEVER had a problem. I use it to this day, and it works just fine.

Comment

twist tech ftw

Comment

colony im glad I dont play in any servers you do, your plane kill death is out of this world. im just wondering how good those pilots must be to kill you.

Comment

ive been flying flight sims for years with a joystick, and it is an accquired skill to aim, it doesn't just come automatically. don't expect just to be a better pilot with a joystick, it takes about as much practice as keyboard and mouse. I really don't fly that much in this game, I bought it for ground combat, not the flying. I was a fan of bf1942 flying, but now i just stick to combat flight sim 3 and flight simulator 2004 for my realistic flying needs. my microsoft sidewinder needs replacing after all these years though...my rudder pedals are still fine

Comment

Originally posted by colony
                          Why not? the Eurofighter is a great jet.
                          His main concern was instability when using the vulcan cannons on AA posts, and the Eurotrash is very unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by Underpant
                            His main concern was instability when using the vulcan cannons on AA posts, and the Eurotrash is very unstable.
                            Thats not true anymore since 1.3, they tweaked the handling and changed HUD view.

Comment

Working...
                            X