Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea: If I can drop a jeep anywhere on the map, why can't I drop troops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: If I can drop a jeep anywhere on the map, why can't I drop troops?

Now I'm not asking for a change to the game, but it does seem like as commander I should be able to drop a people from a transport?

Now, obviously, I we should NOT have that change because it would effect gameplay too much ("Hey commander, can you drop me at the enemy UAV?"), but I was just thinking.

Let me repeat, "WE SHOULD NOT HAVE THIS CHANGE".

So, hypatheically, if they DID allow a squadleader to click on a commander's mobile spawn point (kinda like the Squad Beacons in 2142), would that be too much of a change to the game?

How it would work...Squad Leaders would see a timer of the next "Transport drop" on their screen. If, while dead, they select this spawn point and the commander drops it on the map like a Supply or Vehicle drop, all the people in that 'Spawn' point would parachute from 200 feet above that spot. This can only be done once every so many minutes.

Do you think that's what EA/DICE are thinking to add to a future patch to get us used to the game style in BF2142?

Re: Idea: If I can drop a jeep anywhere on the map, why can't I drop troops?

Hehe. You said "future patch". Aside from 1.31, I doubt there will be another one.

But yeah, I'm assuming vehicle dropping was added to get people used to the idea so they want to play BF2142. That or they just tried to beat Quake Wars to market with it.

Comment

Does Quake Wars have remote drops?

Comment

its a nice idea, and realistically it could be possible, but the biggest concern would be all the spawn camping. The game would turn into a rape fest at each main. It would be even easier now, because you dont even have to travel to the enemy main, you could just spawn there.....

now consider this: using the same troop dropping feature, I propose we get rid of the squadleader instaspawn, and replace with downed comrades paradropping onto there squadleader. It would work just like before, click on the biggreen spawn on your minimap and "paradrop" onto your squadleader. This way you could bring back the "squad leader shuffle" for competitive play but brings about a sort of balance as you can easily be spotted.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmor
          Does Quake Wars have remote drops?
          Sure does (see picture), and I'm pretty sure they announced it before DICE thought of implementing it. Oh, and the troops decide where they want it, there is no commander involved.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/748/74...g_3319012.html

Comment

I was playing I forgot which map, anyway the round was kinda lame so I thought of the idea of the commander dropping inflatable love dolls. The way the things are going it would be nice to see this feature in the new patch, for boring moments. My friend here says it would be also nice to request inflatable sheep from the commander, I guess that's the closest thing to a woman he says.

Comment

Originally posted by govedob
              I was playing I forgot which map, anyway the round was kinda lame so I thought of the idea of the commander dropping inflatable love dolls. The way the things are going it would be nice to see this feature in the new patch, for boring moments. My friend here says it would be also nice to request inflatable sheep from the commander, I guess that's the closest thing to a woman he says.
              Do you giggle when people say words like "boobs" and "fanny"?

Comment

ggggggggggggggggggggg

Seriously, the new patch is one big joke. We can use some clowns in this circus.

Comment

You can do this You hop in a transport chopper and jump out when above your target. That is how it's done in real life. It's just, the game doesn't support loading vehicles onto the choppers....so they make it automatic....but the players can.

Thinking of which...would be cool if you could drive a transport vehicle INTO a transport chopper, and fly it over the target and then parachute it out.

Comment

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod
                    Thinking of which...would be cool if you could drive a transport vehicle INTO a transport chopper, and fly it over the target and then parachute it out.
                    They kinda already did that in Battlefield Vietnam, you could winch up a vehicle, fly it wherever, and release it.

Comment

You can do this You hop in a transport chopper and jump out when above your target. That is how it's done in real life. It's just, the game doesn't support loading vehicles onto the choppers....so they make it automatic....but the players can.

The MEC/PLA Transport Heli could be one of those Helicopters :P

I wouldn't think they would do that, lots of people while spawn camp or hide somewhere and kill people that goes past by.

Comment

That would be cool, but the BF2 Engine doesnt support this. You cant have objects ontop of moveable things. Just like when you try and sit on a tank and it moves and you go crazy and eventually killed. It wouldnt be able to handle the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Dooshy
                          That would be cool, but the BF2 Engine doesnt support this. You cant have objects ontop of moveable things. Just like when you try and sit on a tank and it moves and you go crazy and eventually killed. It wouldnt be able to handle the car.
                          Not unless you delete the car object and replace the helicopter object with a helicopter with a vehicle in it (single object).

The helicopter+vehicle object would be one until another event where you split the object into separate objects and copy their state (i.e. helicopter+vehicle is at 80% health, when split helicopter is at 80% health while vehicle is at 100% health).

Comment

Working...
                          X