Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should one communitate succinctly over VoIP during the heat of battle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should one communitate succinctly over VoIP during the heat of battle?

I'm not in the military or fly planes, but I'm curious if there is a proper way to talk over VoIP, like "Roger that, Mic Check, Charlie at your 6, etc..."?

I've been in games where the commander is using VoIP and its MUCH better than spot spam. However, the commanders generally are long winded and by the time they finish telling you what you need to know the enemy has moved on or killed you.

I did a search and only found someone giving the history of "Roger Wilco"...any pointers or sites to reference?

Basically I'm looking for a lingo to speak and communicate over VoIP during the heat of battle.

Re: How should one communitate succinctly over VoIP during the heat of battle?

in the tournament im in, we generally dont use codes. generally, they would just serve to confuse everyone, even after a few weeks of learning the abbreviations or battle language.

What we generally do is [what][where][heading for ****] (last part if necessary, like if you talk about an armor column). its efficient, and nobody guets confused. it gives something like "4 infantry behind the boxes" or "3 tanks on the bridge heading north". it barely takes 3 or 4 seconds to say, and everyone understands. however, dont forget Q keys are a lot more efficient, even if you hate the "ennemy unnit spotted" that you radio when you spot something.

Comment

We have some very detailed SOPs at Tactical Gamer if you care to check them out:

Tactical Gamer Standard Operating Procedures.

Of course, they are optional, but there as a guide for anyone who cares to use them.

Comment

Cool, I always wanted to sound like I knew I was talking about...But you have to realize in the e-heat of the battle...it usually comes out like this "Enemy...thing...over there"

Comment

I have several short "shouts" that I use on ventrillo with the squad which is sorta to the point.

For example if I see a Tank coming to hotel in Karkand with 4 Infantry I will say:

"TANK! HOTEL! TIMES 4 INfantry!"

If as a Commander, I sweep bases with the big scan and include bases with revelant activity. All bases without enemies are texted into the teamchat so every one knows they have a chance to get it.

Speaking as a commander with the voice is a little bit of "Story telling" that updates as the battle progresses. For example Karkand start:

"Ok Folks, Enemy Hotel in force, Armor force rolling across river and possible Jihad trucks coming from suburb."

That pretty much focuses you into the fight doesnt it. With a good squad or team they can now decide who is going to stop the armor, intercept the Jihad and bleed Hotel. With luck you would hear your squad leaders chime in working thier men into the various situations according to your guidiance.

In a public server, this is only a dream. The reality is more like:
          YOU FRIGGING NOOBS! DONT YOU SEE THAT TRUCK!? (Explosion killing all your armor and wiping out half the ground troops) OMG! I TOLD YOU AND TOLD YOU....///

Munitny vote succeeded.

Usually when people find themselves confronted with something they dont have the correct weapon for you might hear "Oh ****. Tank! TANK! Ta-" Hello? Hello? What tank?? Hello?

Comment

Short, simple, and to the point is the way it should be done. If you hear military speak on vid's found online that's how they are.

Comment

Normally you should be the squad leader. This allows you to quickly get in touch with the commander by merely pressing (by default) the V key. Now whenever the so-called commander "helps you out" by dropping arty on whichever flag you are defending/capping, you can reward him by calling him a mother****ing **** directly over VOIP. This saves you valuable seconds where you don't have to type. Typically the commander will reply to you with some eastern european babble indicating that while he sympathises with your problem, he will continue with his strategy until either the map ends or a mutiny vote passes.

Comment

Originally posted by scknight
                Cool, I always wanted to sound like I knew I was talking about...But you have to realize in the e-heat of the battle...it usually comes out like this "Enemy...thing...over there"
                LOL, that is so true :laugh:

Comment

If you're the gunner in any of the Helos, try to use the Clock System, ie Enemy Chopper at 3 o'clock etc etc.

T

Comment

generally i prefer to convey all of my sightings via the very top secret confidential for your eyes only way...

<----drinks 4-8 guinesses ::glug glug glug::

welsh tharz be fiver erra 3erra twensy redish globers mooooooovinth on ther screnz annnndd ack HACK HACK HACK earck ansh theirs gonnesh getch yousz

:uke::

::drink::

lolsh imersz backz....

(everyone else) --> MUTINY

try it it works real welL!

Comment

I just sqawk out everything I can.. communication is KEY!

the key to finding the da vinci code.

Comment

I wonder how many "Angry German Gamers" exploding on VOIP everyday?

Comment

Originally posted by Orion126
                          Short, simple, and to the point is the way it should be done. If you hear military speak on vid's found online that's how they are.
                          This is a very good topic. Not enough communication is used by the players of the game, even though it's available. The Tactical Gamer guides above are all useful as I just went through them. Some of the principals may be a bit over the top, but it's good to have common methods in communication.

Comment

How should one make VoIP work??

Comment

Good rule of thumb: If it takes longer to say than 5 seconds, you're taking too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X