Solo-ing Attack Choppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo-ing Attack Choppers

Well, today I tried some solo flights. It was not the first time, but I saw kojimab (ranked 2nd on helo) doing it and it was tempting.

The map was Dalian Plant so no uber cheap Tunguska/Linberbackers/Type 95 AA vehicles. A lot of other guys were very good with the TV-M, it was like a TV-M fest; people killing each other almost beyond visual range.

So when I saw an empty chopper I decided to give it a shot; and it was nice... I managed to kill the enemy AH-1Z several times, some BH's, the Essex and everything else leaving the carrier.

What I learned from this:

* I'd rather fly alone and kill some enemies before dying than let noobs fly my chopper/be my gunner and result in 2 deaths.
    * I'll have to practice the "out of edge" trick. It's very handy when you want to "get rid" of a gunner.
    * When you are flying alone you must be ready to spot enemy choppers before they spot you; since you got to line yourself up and shoot the missile.
    * "Tilting" the helo is a good way to avoid incoming missiles. I find it way harder to hit the enemy chopper when they do this.

Share some solo experiences...

Re: Solo-ing Attack Choppers

1: true
    2: I wouldn't say that on these forums
    3: Positioning is crucial
    4: Barrel roll. That is all.

Comment

I love doing barrel rolls

Usually, I avoid the enemy helo by crashing before they get to me :laugh:

Comment

1)agreed
        2) you evil,evil person. be prepared for some fireballs on that one
        3)or prepare ambushes
        4)like sarge said, barrel rolls.

Comment

Any tips for the barrel rolls?

Sometimes I will get disoriented (you know you see only the blue sky) and crash into the sea/ground...

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
            Any tips for the barrel rolls?

Sometimes I will get disoriented (you know you see only the blue sky) and crash into the sea/ground...
            Euhm.. barrel roll = tilting sideways continously until you do a full sideways loop

Usually little sky involved

I see lots of other players doing barrel rolls thesedays too.. I just wait for em to be about three-quarters through it before firing so I hit em when they're straight again.

Avoid the mi-28 as much as you can. It's a missle magnet.

Turn your chopper to the left before hitting f2 to counter the effect of your chopper spinning off to the right. This keeps your TV guided screen relatively straight for a second.

Basically:

Turn left
            hit F2, immediatley switch to tv guided missles.
            fire ASAP. Don't worry too much about being spot on with the first click, more important is that you can do all three steps mentioned above so quickly that you won't have a huge delay before being able to fire.

Comment

Originally posted by vets.Sarge
              Euhm.. barrel roll = tilting sideways continously until you do a full sideways loop

Usually little sky involved
              Well yeah, but depending on your angle you may see a lot of sky doing this.

Anyways...

Comment

Hi Churrasco,

Long time no see, hope all things BF2 are good with you, hehe.

I knew once I saw the 'Redux' "Duck & Cover" video that I'd want to solo chopper, the skills shown in that are just awesome. I'll post a BF2S to link to it once it's back up but in the meantime try this thread It's a 15 min vid, if you haven't already seen it the chopper bit is in the second of three sections and I think we probably have it to thank for the proliferation of solo choppper pilots. Certainly since it's release there are all grades of solo chopper pilots online. The TV Guided stuff is pretty easy with just a little practice but once you see him using the cannon on infantry you'll find yourself practicing the perfect tilt/roll to hold the chopper in just the right postioning long enough to devastate infantry with the cannon. Although there is something immensely satisfying about going up against a 2 man chopper and taking them out with your TV missile to their total consternation LOL. If you're good with the TV normally there's no reason you can't solo.

Anyway on to your points ...

(1) Agreed.
                (2) Prepared to wait for a single chopper.
                (3) Positioning is paramount. Use your mini map or like in the redux vid use the main map and take out from beyond visual range.
                (4) Barrel roll mastery seems to be key to successful evasion. I haven't mastered this yet but I reckon seeing as I can use the cannon in solo that a good barrel roll must be my next step.

Comment

If nobody else is around, it's fine to fly solo, but to purposly avoid to pickup gunners that are requesting pickup, or to take them out of bounds and kill them so you can fly solo is very very low. By doing that you don't leave an impression of a good chopper pilot no matter how good you are. You just make yourself look like a stinky cunnt that obviously doesn't understand or care about teamwork, something what BF2 is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
                    Well, today I tried some solo flights. It was not the first time, but I saw kojimab (ranked 2nd on helo) doing it and it was tempting.

The map was Dalian Plant so no uber cheap Tunguska/Linberbackers/Type 95 AA vehicles. A lot of other guys were very good with the TV-M, it was like a TV-M fest; people killing each other almost beyond visual range.

So when I saw an empty chopper I decided to give it a shot; and it was nice... I managed to kill the enemy AH-1Z several times, some BH's, the Essex and everything else leaving the carrier.

What I learned from this:

* I'd rather fly alone and kill some enemies before dying than let noobs fly my chopper/be my gunner and result in 2 deaths.
                    * I'll have to practice the "out of edge" trick. It's very handy when you want to "get rid" of a gunner.
                    * When you are flying alone you must be ready to spot enemy choppers before they spot you; since you got to line yourself up and shoot the missile.
                    * "Tilting" the helo is a good way to avoid incoming missiles. I find it way harder to hit the enemy chopper when they do this.

Share some solo experiences...
                    All I can say is that ur a selfish LITTLE PRICK !!!

Comment

Originally posted by HateKILLL™
                      All I can say is that ur a selfish LITTLE PRICK !!!
                      Wow, with such an inspirational tag and constructive reply to this thread; you should run for president with your cool avatar

Comment

lol thats all i ahve to say and that i also do that eccept 2, i used to but its just lame and i felt bad for the noobs

Comment

+1 for solo flight.

Comment

I gotta admit..solo tv guided missiles are fun. Sometimes it's just frustrating having a gunner that's clueless.

Comment

I hate noob gunners... I will have to practise solo too until I find some who actually knows about the TV guided missle -.-

Comment

Working...
                              X