Far Cry vs BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far Cry vs BF2

Getting bored of the same old same old of BF2, so I loaded up Far Cry again for something different. In this comparison, ignore the mutant monsters (not really my thing) and the fact I had never played this game online as I was mainly thinking about the various weapons this game has.

I had forgotten how good some of the weapons are in that game. The P90 has a silencer on it. Its great for sneak attacks without letting everyone know here I come blasting.

The AG36 I think it is, is an awesome weapon. 2x 4x scope, packs a punch and also has a grenade or rocket launcher attached.

The binocs are kickass. Go up to a 20x zoom, auto lock on targets and you can even hear their convos.

The sniper rifle is kickass as well with a hell zoom on it.

When you compare these to BF2 which is supposed to be in the not too distant future the BF2 weapons basically suckass and its like they were made 30 years ago.

Also the Far Cry graphics are very sweet and yet I can run them at max detail and the game is smooth as silk, whereas BF2 I run medium graphics and its such a resource whore.

Far Cry also has a good campaign mode, something that BF2 wouldn't have a clue about with its **** poor 16 player maps. The bots in Far Cry are awesome too. They play like an online player, strafing side to side, using cover to hide behind then pop up and shoot, they even circle around to try and get the jump on the player and really work well together team work wise.

I'll have to have a go online to see what its like in multiplayer mode.

Post your comments.

Re: Far Cry vs BF2

Far Cry is a great game but there is no way you can compare it to BF2 in a 1:1 fashion like you did. I loved far cry but I will never ever invest hundreds of hours into it like I have done with BF2. End of discussion.

Comment

I was mainly talking about the weapons as a comparison between the 2 games and the graphics detail and the different engines and how the games run rather than an outright 1:1 comparo.

EDITED: The title to reflect its not meant to be an outright 1:1 comaprison of both games.

Comment

Originally posted by <<R2>>Capt.HKS
        I was mainly talking about the weapons as a comparison between the 2 games and the graphics detail and the different engines and how the games run rather than an outright 1:1 comparo.
        You compared enough major defining details of both games to indicate a 1:1 comparision . I also think the thread title says it all, unfortunately. Far Cry was an awesome single player game but it seemed like it would have been a terrible multiplayer game. (i've never played it online) For one the aiming seems to be very touchy and feels like it was destined for a console shooter. It's nowhere near as responsive as the average FPS gamer is used to from the likes of CS, BF, UT etc.

The graphics in FC, although very pretty looking, are just flat out cartoonish. On top of the ridiculous voice acting (which i happen to like for some odd reason), FC could very easily be translated into a saturday morning cartoon. Far Cry runs very well even on my crappy system but you cannot compare it to the BF2 engine because Far Cry never had to render 64 players + semi realistic simulated vehicles (tons of physics calculations) over the internet.

I think that you just have a bone to pick with BF2 and are looking for other games to criticize it with. Not that it's bad to criticize BF2 (hell i do all the time!) but you would have been better off just making another "bf2 is a resource hog/the weapons aren't realistic" thread!

Comment

Nah that's not my intention at all. I was wondering why BF2 has the weapons it has compared to FC when BF2 is supposed to be semi futuristic and yet it seems to have weapons that feel 30yrs old compared to FC.

Call this more a bored of BF2 thread and just some thoughts on ways it could have been improved rather than a BF2 sucks thread.

Here's another. Hmm maybe I am doing a 1:1 comparison.

The FC environment is a lot better. You can swim underwater. Imagine how good it would be to swim underwater, be great in SF. FC also has long grass to hide in, all this making it easier to be stealthy than in BF2. I would love to have long grass in BF2, BFV had it and it was great fun on the jungle maps.

Comment

I think BF2 is supposed to be strictly present day- not even next week future. Far Cry is also basically present day (just an isolated mad cloning/mutating scientist). I wish it was all more destructable like Red Faction II though. Far Cry came out of nowhere and still has the best graphics of any FPS, I think. It's sequel will also make another leap forward it sounds like.

I recently reloaded Far Cry so I could play it over again on my new card. I'll try multiplayer tonight if I find out it's free like BF2. So I'll find out if it's something I would put 300 hours into like I have for BF2.

Comment

Working...
            X