Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the easiest and the hardest parts of BF 2 modding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the easiest and the hardest parts of BF 2 modding?

This question may have been asked before, but I think by now this question can be answered a bit better than "Getting the damn thing to work!!".

Let me specific. I want to get an idea of what my limitations are. I want to know what sort of things are a pain in the arse to try to do, and what sort of things are easy to do.
    I want to know what I’m getting my self into!

What is the hardest, what is the easiest, and why are they so? Would it be redefining attributes, building environment, changing character models, weapons, creating new vehicles and aircraft, interface, sound, environmental effects?
    What unforseen technicalities have you run into? Tell me about it.

Where am I coming from? I am a student studying computer games development and for my major I would like to create a total conversion mod with BF 2. I have not had any experience with BF 2 modding. I have no experience programming with python.

… what?… turn back now… before its too late?

Sounding too ambitious already?
    Its not a question of can it be done, it’s a question of how hard, how long, and how much help.

Please share your thoughts even if they are only remotely relivant

Re: What is the easiest and the hardest parts of BF 2 modding?

Bf2 is pretty easy to mod so long as you're not trying to completely redefine the gameplay. Getting content in game, especially new vehicles, maps, and statics, is relatively pain-free.

I have yet to figure out animation and player modeling, but someone who has some experience with animation in general would probably not have so much trouble. Vehicles, however, are governed by just a few simple physical variables that make setting up and tweaking new vehicles a straightforward matter, once you have them sorted out from the hundreds of intimidating variables present in the editor.

I personally know that very large and complicated vehicles, while they aren't free of problems, are remarkably stable, working far better than i had expected. BF2 is certainly the engine to modify if your ideas center around vehicles. BF2 is not so good with infantry, and with infantry-vehicle interactions, but that should be pretty obvious from just playing the base game.

I would say in addition, its good to be aware of a few things before you plan out a mod. Vehicles don't support animation, so no mechs, walkers, etc. All player models share a skeleton, so you couldn't have, say, humans vs squids or something. And maps, as far as i know, are workably limited to 2km square. I'm sure there are more important points, but those are the ones i see come up all the time or that i have personally tackled with.

The guiding principle, i think, is that you are essentially limited to doing what bf2 already does. The access we are allowed is relatively limited in comparison with source or ut, so a workable mod will mirror the base game very closely in many ways.

Comment

The main work is easy if you know modeling, texturing, and know how to use the mnod editor. The hardest part is probably finding good team members, if you even need them.

Comment

^^^ agreed - alot of people overlook recruitment. Definitely the hardest aspect of BF2 modding presently.

That and rigging and importing custom player models - that is a challenge in itself

Comment

What is the easiest and the hardest parts of BF 2 modding?

I have a concept in mind, for a mod and have chosen BF 2 as my platform specifically because of its foundational game play elements. And I am hoping that I can more easily adapt it to my idea.

I’m thinking 1930s fantasy world with biplanes, zeppelins (like airborne battleships) and islands that float in the sky. Rocket packs would help too.

would any of these things be difficult to do?

Comment

That all sounds pretty straightforward. floating islands can be simple static objects if they're not too large, or could be collections of statics like the aircraft carrier if they needed to be larger. Biplanes are obvious, and zepplins can just be large helicopters as far as coding goes. Rocket packs would be small vehicles, again, much like helicopters in terms of coding. If you wanted something more like a weapon (like the parachute) im not sure how that would work, but its probably doable.

Biggest problem might be map size, depending on how large your zepplins get. This has been the most dissapointing thing for me with my battleships, that i can't have more full-scale combat. Its not entirely a dealbreaker, though.

Comment

Working...
            X