Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most common mistakes made by inexperienced BF2 players (help guide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most common mistakes made by inexperienced BF2 players (help guide)

Ok before I start THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A FLAME and although I would welcome comments and suggestions etc please try to not flame people.

The reason for this post is due to the amount of abuse I see thrown at inexperienced players for doing things that they (hopefully) simply don't realise are unpopular with other players. I openly admit I, through frustration, have given a bit of stick to other players as I am sure most of you would. However I imagine that rather than just having a go at new(ish) players it would be easier to tell them what you would prefer they did. I would imagine that some of you would disagree with some of my points, maybe all of them and if so please comment and suggest why they are wrong. Hopefully this thread will help out a few folks and cut down on some of the aggro that goes on in servers and may, possibly, improve gameplay.

As I said please add your own suggestions but try not to flame, ie be constructive.

MEDICS and SUPPORT - ok a big part of your job is to keep the rest of your teaam healthy and supplied. So learn how to hand out ammo/first aid I don't know how many times I have stood right next to a medic/support player yelling for supplies only to be completely ignored then they run off. It only takes a couple of seconds to hand out supplies and you will get points for it so it's a win win.

PICKING UP KITS - Ok one of my biggest pet hates is when I play medic and you run over to revive a couple of your teammates. You revive them them then get killed yourself while killing the bad guy. So you lie there only to see the guys you just helped run off in another direction and leave you. PLEASE learn to pick up a dead medics kit (i.e. swap it for the one you have) and revive the player. Ok I realise that means you get stuck with a medic kit which might not be what you want but you will help the team and gain points and you can always swap the kit for another off a dead enemy or other team member who can't be revived.

ASKING FOR AMMO/FIRST AID REPAIRS - If you send out a call for any of the aforementioned the suitable icon will appear over your name for the appropriate class. I.e. if you call for a medic all medics on your team will be alerted to your call and see a red cross by your name informing them of who called for help. In most cases someone, if nearby, will answwer your call and start heading over to you. This is not the cue to run off in the other direction. If you need help look for the appropriate class to help you, their icon should appear on your hud too when you call for help. Go towards them or find cover and wait. The number of times I have sprinted over to help out a teammate only for them to run off and have me chasing them trying to heal them or repair etc is unreal.

DRIVING VEHICLES - Another one I find is that often players jump in a jeep or whatever and speed off on their own. Often this happens at the very start of the round. Now ok I get that you want to cap the flag and get the points for yourself but it is much better to wait and try and take some of your teammates with you rather than leaving them stranded at the base/spawn point. You will still get the cap points and you will have back up and prob be able to hold the flag rather than being out their on your own.

COMMANDING - I could go on all day about this and I am sure it would be controversial as opinions differ greatly on this position. Personally I would have made it that you need to be of a certain rank to become commander. I realise that everyone has to learn but at least if you have a high rank you have a lot of experience playing the game and know what kinda things that your team would like or needs. Displacing poor commanders via a vote hardly ever happens due to the high number of votes required.

Probably best I leave it at that

PICKING A CLASS - everyone has their fav class t play and the ones they dislike however sometimes you have to play your part for the team and spawn as a class to help out a particular situation. For example if you are at a flag that is attacked by a tank there isn't a lot of point on everyone who is killed respawning at the flag as assault troops, small arms do nothing against a tank and chances are it's still gonna be there. So think about maybe coming in as anti tank or even engy and dropping mines.

PUNISHING TKS - Ok not gonna go here as it's bound to start a flame war. All I will say is that I don't see the point in punishing other players. You get nothing for it and they are already gonna lose points due to their mistakes. I have played this game a lot and can honestly say I have only been tk'd intentionally a handful of times most of the time it's simply an error by the other player and is not intended.

VOTES TO KICK/MUTINY - this again is a personal one. If you are gonna ask every other player on the server to vote to kick a player (cause normally you need everyone to vote) it would be good if you could send a message explaing why you want them kicked to allow other players to make a decent decision whether to vote positively or negatively. Also why is it that ( i know there was a bug at one point) that epople see a vote against another player have no idea what the vote is for but then start a vote of their own against the same player if the first one results in the accused staying?? If you are gonna vote have a good reason and not one like he has lots of kills...he must be cheating...he may actually be THAT good. (This happened to a guy I was playing against earlier which is why I bother to mention it).

POSITIONING ON THE MAP - This is mainly a problem at the start of maps but everyone tends to spawn at the base to attempt to grab a vehicle or on the first flag if defending. Then if the enemy goes to another flag they just keep spawning at the first flag then the second if that is taken then the third and so on. A great example of this is on 32 player Karky where I have seen 16 players spawn at the first flag only for two of the enemy to sneak to a back flag and systematically cap all the other flags suddenly leaving the defending team surrounded, with no armour at the first flag. Watch your minimap if you hear calls of an enemy spotted it might be worth working out where they are going and spawning at that flag when you die next.

Ok thats all for now if I think of anything else I may add it in. As I said i would appreciate comments whether you agree/disagree or have other ideas. Thanks for reading if you got this far

UPDATE 18/05/2006

Ok I have been given a few other suggestions so I thought I would add them in. Thanks to all those who helped (though this thread does seem to be disappearing into the back catalogue)

STINGERS (and aa in general) - you are actually allowed to use these!! They are comfy to sit in and as a bonus they shoot down helicopters (and planes allegedly bu ti have yet to see this happen). The number of times I see helicopters totally dominate maps and nobody thinks of trying to shoot em down. I dont't fly much(ever) cept maybe as a gunner but if you have a person locking a stinger on you then you tend to hightail it. Even if you sdon't shoot em down you certainly distract them a great deall. Even if you only use a vodnik 50 cal or suchlike thanks to some of the later changes these will rip through a chopper in quick time IF you use a couple at the same time. Which brings me on to my next point..

INFANTRY vs TANK - couple of things here. First off if the weapon you are using cannot damage a tank DON'T SHOOT AT IT!!!!! all you do is give away your position making you an easy kill for the tank. If you have to duck for over do so and wait till the tank has been destroyed or moves on. There is an exception to this rule if you feel like taking one for the team if there are only a couple of you and one is say sperc ops or engy then you can try and distract the tank enough to let your pal get close enough to take it down with C4 or mines. Though this does tend to only end up in one result for you I reckon an infantry life for a tank is a fair swap. Tnaks can be a real pain in the ass if you are infantry and with more and more people teaming up i.e. two tanks together both engys or sitting next to a supply crate there is little or no chance of you taking it down alone as an anti tank. However two of you will make short work of any armour and like the chopper thing you scare the poo out the driver if he is continually lockd up!! So team up, ok anti tank might not get you the points you want, depending on your play, but if you keep their armour at bay you have a great chance of winning the map.

SPWANING/RESUPPLYING/HEALTH PACKS - rthere are different schools of thought about this, mine is the following. If you try to respawn on your squad leader or you decide to leave ammo or health for a fellow teammate on them then you basicaly send them up the creek without a paddle if you are not careful. You tend to give away their position. I find this particularly annying if I am playing as a sniper. I find a nice wee spot then some good intentioned teammate decides to leave me a bunch of ammo or health bags right next to em which unfortunately are VERY visible to the enemy. Generally if you see a bunch of ammo or health packs in a remote part you can bet their is a sniper or suchlike nearby. If you want to heal or resuplly that is great and very much appreciated but do it buy 'holding' the stuff next to us that way enemy will not see the supplies from miles away. or even leaev the stuff nearby (ish) where teamnmate can move to under cover and heal / resupply.

PLAYING IN TRAFFIC - when you are on foot keep in mind that the armour etc are not performance sports cars made entirely of glass. The visibity in a tank is very limited, it takes a bit to get going and does not stop on a dime. So if you are running e.g. across the brdge at karky and you have teammates in vehicles nearby don't run down the middle of the road give them space to pass. AT least some of the vehicles have horns to warn you but tanks and apc's tend to only have a big gun to let you know they are behind you.

FLYING - ok I don't fly so I can't really comment on this too much myself but I do know that those that do fly feel VERY strongly about this. Basically learn how to fly someplace other than a ranked server. You wouldn't try to pass your driving test on a racetrack would you (perhaps a bit of a strong comparison but you get the idea) planes are few and far between and it causes a great deal of animosity if you jump in one without a clue what you are doing and stop an accomplished pilot getting in. Either play single player or set up a local game and just fly about and learn how things go before you brave the skies of a ranked server get ready to wear a flame/kick proof outfit

ARTY MINES CLAYMORES - ok this one still bemuses me it's kinda straightforward BIG RED CROSS THINGS are to be avoid they are baaaaaaaad for you. All of these show up clearly on your hud and/or minimap. If there is a claymore at the top of the ladder you will NOT be able to sneak past it the person who put it there did sofor a reason, go find another roof. If a commander sends in arty you get plenty of warning don't think you will be fortunate and not get bombed or that they only kill enemy targets DO NOT RUSH HEADLONG INTO WHERE ARTY IS FALLING!! hang back let it fall then go in. The only thing you stand a chance of surviving an arty barrage in is a tank.

GO DOWN WITH THE SHIP - never Never NEVER jump out of a tank or apc when it is damaged and you are near the enemy. Basicaly either (a) find a very quiet spot and jump out and fix it/get repaireed or (b) die in it. SO many times I see people jumping out of armour only to get shot then the tank/apc or whatever gets taken and fixed by the oppossing team. This can often leave you and your teammates up against two tanks with no armour of your own. Ok if it goes down it will respawn at your base and chances are (if you still hold that base) you will get it back but having two tanks vs no tanks often wins the round if even onlyy for a short while. Ok you will lose a ticket if you die BUT you stand to lose a lot more if your armour is stolen.

OK again thats enough for now...probably too much I will try and keep this thread updated if anyone is interested in it or has any other suggestions. Again it is not meant as a flame but just a kinda 'how to avoid aggro' guide. Hope it helps

Re: Most common mistakes made by inexperienced BF2 players (help guide)

"I have played this game a lot and can honestly say I have only been tk'd intentionally a handful of times most of the time it's simply an error by the other player and is not intended."

Huh???

I do agree though, with almost every point you make. However, id like to add this ought to be observed by all players, not just inexperienced ones.

Comment

The statement is true re tks' but in fairness I ground pound and I think most tk's happen when peoople fght over ownership of vehicles, planes and the like so perhaps i haven't experienced the worst of it.

Thanks for your comments though and I agree that it is prob more of a general guide than for inexperienced players alone, if I could I would probably change the title

Oh and btw mods I seem to have double posted the threads, sorry my browser went a bit nuts, could you delete or join or whatever is suitable the two threads. thanks

Comment

Good points, especially with picking up a medics kit and the punishment. I have never intentionally teamkilled, and am sure that almost everyone who has ever teamkilled me has done it by accident, I mean what do you gain?
        Also agree with your positioning on the map, Karkand is the best example of that in the game with the suburbs and train accident being the favourite capture points for sneaky americans to take and leave the MEC floundering.

Comment

Very good start. I have been helping a friend learn but I have had to tell him these points, one at a time, when I see him do them. I would add a section on 'not shooting at tanks, APCs and helicopters with your rifle' and note the fact that more guys cap flags faster than one alone and that trying to cap a flag by yourself as a noob is suicide. Also, something on gracefully spawning on your squad leader without giving away his location.
          Cheers, tho.

Comment

Well intentioned....
            But i wouldnt read that untill i had played the game for a month or more.
            Personally i dont see the trouble with new players and their mistakes.Learning is allways the most fun aspect of anygame ive played and to watch others learning is even better.Its a shame that after 3/4 months of one game new players then become more serious about it hating what they was once.
            I like servers to have a mixture of idiots/new players/good players/bad ones/me....i think teaching them not to be new is taking something away from them.
            but good on ya.

Comment

One of the thing that I can't stand is new players standing around waiting for vehicles. Experienced players do this as well. All they are... are easy targets for aircraft of any type. Then later in the map they complain about getting spanked.

Comment

Good points there. The only problem I sometimes have when picking up kits, is that the "dead player" is often laying right on top of his kit bag, making it close to impossible to figure out what class he was. Granted, if I just saw him revive a bunch of people. it's pretty obvious. If you are running with a squad it is much easier to pick up kits, cause they can tell you to grab their kit and revive them.

Comment

I didn't check to see if anyone mentioned it but... PRACTICE JETS AND HELICOPTERS IN SINGLE PLAYER OR A LOCAL SERVER BEFORE TAKING THEM ON A PUBLIC SERVER!

That should do it.

Comment

I agree with Sloi, there are far to many people out there that haven't learned how to fly before they go and play multiplayer

Comment

Added a couple of things to the first post to try and keep things tidy and more readable (though the first post is a bit like war and peace with fewer pictures ) If you have any other suggestions then please stick em down and I will try and kee the list up to date at least as long as there is some kinda interest...things disappear quickly on this board .

Comment

Well said, especially the parts about picking up the medic's kit and distracting armor for a spec-ops or engineer to go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by <sgt bilko>
                          INFANTRY vs TANK - couple of things here. First off if the weapon you are using cannot damage a tank DON'T SHOOT AT IT!!!!! all you do is give away your position making you an easy kill for the tank.
                          The other night I was in an APC and a private (who was completely hidden in the brush) started shooting at me with his rifle. A quick check for a spec ops (none found) and he was fodder. I'm still wondering why he would give away his position.

Comment

great points

Comment

Learn to do 1 class well first, then try and become well rounded in all the classes, but always have 1 class to fall back on when your getting yourself and others killed laying mines all over the place....

Talk over viop as needed only,....don't narate every move of your pathetic gameplay to your squad-mates...
                              "ok, im running toward the flag,I just shot a guy, haha, Im at the flag, OH,WTF ....no way I killed that guy first, he's cheating......Im going after that guy!! Where can I get a tank??"

Also learn the frigging maps before you play,.....

Don't apply for commander until you see how a good one works, and when you are a commander don't be to premature with the arty and TK your guys as they take a flag.

Focus on your Kill to death ratio, if your getting killed more than your killing and you not a medic, try a new tactic your costing your team tickets...

Comment

Working...
                              X