How to customize an already made map.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to customize an already made map.

I read through most of these threads and can't seem to find anything on it. So I apologize if it's been mentioned already.

I just wanted to know how to take a finished BF2 vanilla map (Zatar for example) and make some changes to it.
    I don't know where to start. I have the bf2editor, but now what? heh

Once again sorry this is such a noob question

Re: How to customize an already made map.

extract the client and server zips into the map folder, take the gameplayobjects.con from the gamemodes folder. and place it in the a folder in you map called editor. pls note you wont have all the ground textures.

Comment

great, I appreciate your reply!

Comment

are you changing objects only? there are other things you need to consider...

You will want to make a seperate directory for this, you will need to edit a bunch of files so that bf2 knows it is a different map, you need to rename a whole mess of things.

If you still have the client.zip and server.zip files in the folder, if you try and play a game it will use those 2 files before anything else...

anyways use caution when playing with stock maps

Comment

Originally posted by Jey
          extract the client and server zips into the map folder, take the gameplayobjects.con from the gamemodes folder. and place it in the a folder in you map called editor. pls note you wont have all the ground textures.
          I did that but Im trying to edit one of the maps that I made before, not one of the original maps, so I opened it in editor again, all the objects were there, I went to file>save as and it crashed in the middle of saving, what am I doing wrong

Comment

Originally posted by BadLizzard
            are you changing objects only? there are other things you need to consider...

You will want to make a seperate directory for this, you will need to edit a bunch of files so that bf2 knows it is a different map, you need to rename a whole mess of things.

If you still have the client.zip and server.zip files in the folder, if you try and play a game it will use those 2 files before anything else...

anyways use caution when playing with stock maps
            Well I wanted to kind of use it as a base for learning. I am a total mapping newb and dont even know where to start.
            I tried what Jey said.. but I dont know what files to use to even open it up in the editor =/ I pretty much gave up at that point heh..

I am very much like this smily -->

Comment

it's easier to start with the EA tutorial to start from a blank canvas, rather than trying to extract an existing map and figure out how it did what it did.

Much easier to do the Tutorial (click me) download that and do everything it says, it will help you set it up right and get you making a map and playing it on your system in a very short period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by =PSU=PJMAK1
                I did that but Im trying to edit one of the maps that I made before, not one of the original maps, so I opened it in editor again, all the objects were there, I went to file>save as and it crashed in the middle of saving, what am I doing wrong
                Did you not save your editor folder from before? I haven't had it crash in the middle of saving before. Did you remember to uncheck read only from the properties?

Comment

Working...
                X