OK, I'm going to try again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I'm going to try again.

Hi there, recently I put a post on moaning about how I'm sick of trying to get BF2 going on my machine after it not working after months of successful play. Now I want to get back on the horse and try again. I'm hoping someone out there has had a similar issue and fixed it or knows what problem I might be having.

My specs:
    Shuttle XPC
    P4 2.4GHz
    1GB DDR ram (2 x 512MB)
    160GB HDD
    6600GT

Now, originally the game started crashing to desktop while loading maps. Then it would crash while in the game menu, and now it locks up my machine when I even try to install it. Here's what I've done:
    -Memtest for RAM, no problems
    -Suspected HDD problem, reformatted HDD
    -Reinstalled windows
    -latest drivers
    -tried various BF2 install disks
    -Manual uninstall of BF2
    -virus scan

I'm picking this is either hardware or XP settings. Any ideas? I'm desperate!!

Re: OK, I'm going to try again.

Originally posted by mlkmnz
    Hi there, recently I put a post on moaning about how I'm sick of trying to get BF2 going on my machine after it not working after months of successful play. Now I want to get back on the horse and try again. I'm hoping someone out there has had a similar issue and fixed it or knows what problem I might be having.

My specs:
    Shuttle XPC
    P4 2.4GHz
    1GB DDR ram (2 x 512MB)
    160GB HDD
    6600GT

Now, originally the game started crashing to desktop while loading maps. Then it would crash while in the game menu, and now it locks up my machine when I even try to install it. Here's what I've done:
    -Reinstalled windows
    -latest drivers
    -Manual uninstall of BF2
    -virus scan

Do any other games or applications do this or is it just BF2. I'm not sure what the problem is but this sounds suspiciously like a bad PSU, do you have another one you can swap it with?. Also check event viewer in Administrative tools and see if any errors are logged that might shed some light on your problem.

Usally an operating system/application crash will log errors, hardware most of the time wont. Also run MemTest 86, i think is still available at Majorgeeks.com to make sure you dont have a memory module with a bad address.

I hope this helps, it looks like you've done everything else.

Comment

Most harddisk vendors have some type of diagnostics tool, you may want to use that to verify the harddisk.

Comment

i have known shuttle PSU's not to be the strongest things about when playing games.

try upgrading it!

Comment

Originally posted by S.A.S
          i have known shuttle PSU's not to be the strongest things about when playing games.

try upgrading it!
          Cheers for that. I upgraded it a while ago to a stronger one which is listed as being more than capable for my components

Originally posted by Painl3ss.NL
          Most harddisk vendors have some type of diagnostics tool, you may want to use that to verify the harddisk.
          I've run seatools for the HDD (its a seagate one), says everything is fine.

Originally posted by Flakman
          Usally an operating system/application crash will log errors, hardware most of the time wont. Also run MemTest 86, i think is still available at Majorgeeks.com to make sure you dont have a memory module with a bad address.
          Yeah have run memtest for a whole day, no problems.

So all I'm left with is a flakey hard drive, ill have to try and find one to try.

Comment

you might have a flakey HD, i thought i did too.
            mine kind of went like yours. poor to poorer performance until i finally reformatted. then video and sound problems occured after installing windows. i did get a new pwr sup but that wasn't it. problem was vid/net/sound IRQ conflicts and too much junk on my pc by my stupid stripper roommate (she's not really stupid, just po'd at her right now). first i got an spare 80gHD for gaming only and then played card jockey to fix the IRQ problem. now it runs great. i dont even use the game HD for internet, only bf2

P-2.4
            1g mem
            80gHD

Comment

I've run seatools for the HDD (its a seagate one), says everything is fine.

Yeah have run memtest for a whole day, no problems.

So all I'm left with is a flakey hard drive, ill have to try and find one to try.
              If it passed the HD tool test and its only one application/game that does this and other games are fine, Then I highly doubt its the HD its got to be a conflict with the game. Turn off the HT feature on your Pent4 and test, I heard nothing but problems with HT and some games. Have you tryed Prime 95 to make sure your rig is stable.

Hope this helps

Comment

My specs:
                Shuttle XPC
                P4 2.4GHz
                1GB DDR ram (2 x 512MB)
                160GB HDD
                6600GT

-Reinstalled windows
                -latest drivers
                -Manual uninstall of BF2
                -virus scan

thanks for testing all the main things,this helps eliminate them.

as a suggestion im guessing (if youre disk is dvd/cd)
                that you cd rom /dvd rom has had its day.

from a personal experince i had bf2 for 3 months before i could install it due to my lg dvd rom not loading the dvd(bf2)

this would cause the cpu to crash on my rig.

since then ive got a nec dvd duel-layer burner and all is well.

if you can try and borrow a new cd/dvd just to eliminate this from the problem.

i doubt it the hd as you would be getting other errors like failing windows ect.

hope this helps a bit,goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by skikaz
                  you might have a flakey HD, i thought i did too.
                  mine kind of went like yours. poor to poorer performance until i finally reformatted. then video and sound problems occured after installing windows. i did get a new pwr sup but that wasn't it. problem was vid/net/sound IRQ conflicts and too much junk on my pc by my stupid stripper roommate (she's not really stupid, just po'd at her right now). first i got an spare 80gHD for gaming only and then played card jockey to fix the IRQ problem. now it runs great. i dont even use the game HD for internet, only bf2

P-2.4
                  1g mem
                  80gHD
                  That was what I was thinking, it has the be the HDD. Did you run any diagnostics on yours to see if anything turned up? Cause nothing shows up for mine, Seagate's checker tool says it is fine...

Comment

That was what I was thinking, it has the be the HDD. Did you run any diagnostics on yours to see if anything turned up? Cause nothing shows up for mine, Seagate's checker tool says it is fine...
                    did you try the cdrom method thing i mention??

sorry if it didnt help,was trying to give suggestions that have not already been mentiond.

Comment

Originally posted by blade.verzilli TF
                      did you try the cdrom method thing i mention??

sorry if it didnt help,was trying to give suggestions that have not already been mentiond.
                      My original disk is scratched, so I used another one. Unless that has gone kaput too.

I'm actually finding in the last few days that my machine is now locking up in windows, hard drive light shows active 100% of the time and I get no response from monitor and keyboard. Something really must be on the blink, again, if anyone has any other ideas they would be welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X